Different instrument cluster into a bug?

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
pploco

Different instrument cluster into a bug?

Post by pploco »

Does anyone have experience fabbing a newer instrument cluster (subaru, mazda etc.) into a bug dash? Provide pics if you have them.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Where would it go? Into the trunk area, I suppose - unless you have really short arms or just like driving with the wheel in your chest. The dashboard sheetmetal adds considerable integrity to the cowl area of the body on a bug, if you whacked it all out to make room to install a binnacle from another car you'd want to be sure to add some reinforcement in its place.
pploco

Post by pploco »

Im not talking about the entire dash, just the speedo/tach fuel etc cluster.

everyones a comedian
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I put OEM VDO from 924/928/??? in my ghia using a hole saw and a welder.
Haven't decided if I am going to keep it that way (fuel sender is different & water temp is broken) speedo needs recalberation but doesn't seem more off than the stock guage (not runnig stock rubber).
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
pploco

Post by pploco »

Got any pics sideshow? Did you say the fuel gauge isn't working?
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

No. VDO are self contained and round, so mounting them isn't much harder than any aftermarker gauge.

I don't get full sweep on the fuel, but I can estimate what I got no problem. I'm sure a more expensive sending unit would fix this (and give me a fuel low light).

The other nice thing is that being DIN standard, the wiring is numbered so it is easy to hook up.
pploco

Post by pploco »

Good to know. Did you hook up a tach too?
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

This was a plastic wood grain cover dash from the factory. I pealed it and welded up some of the body stampings, added and removed holes as needed. The tach is my favorite part (it was from a 4-cyl model), works smooth, now all I need is a motor with that high of a red line.
PureC4

Post by PureC4 »

sideshow wrote:I put OEM VDO from 924/928/??? in my ghia using a hole saw and a welder.
Haven't decided if I am going to keep it that way (fuel sender is different & water temp is broken) speedo needs recalberation but doesn't seem more off than the stock guage (not runnig stock rubber).

I have the Tach and Guage cluster from a 914 2.0. Can you give me a clue as to the wiring :?: Mounted the tack in the original hole for the speedo. Want to mount the speedo and cluster in a custom console between dash and floor. Or have a 57 Chevy gauge section could mount speedo in it and mold to dash below the radio area. And use seperate guages around the tach. C-ya OH and by the way its a 66'