==iPod + power amp = Success?????===

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
MNAirHead

==iPod + power amp = Success?????===

Post by MNAirHead »

Dumb question that I think should work.

Any reason why I can't wire a plug in the glove box to a power amp under the rear seat powering speakers?

In theory this should work, possibly the quality won't be award winning... just enough for my Willie and Sublime to pump.

My thought is to not cut the dash for entertainment.
69bug

Post by 69bug »

it will work.

but if it were me, i'd get (or if i already have) a car stereo cd player (or whatever you like) that has an "AUX input (installed and connected like normal through amp or however you please). then get one of those "Y" adapters that has a headphone plug on one side, and 2 RCA jacks on the other end.

you can run the headphone jack through wherever (inside glove box like you said, but it would be a little inconvinient wouldn't you think?)

OR make some type of tray attatchment on the ashtray so it can clip on and off and have the ability to change songs easier.

ALSO, it won't sound too bad i would say. the songs in those things are already compressed and turned into mp3's so thats a loss of quality right there (most people can't tell anyway).

the D/A converters (analog to digital) on the ipod aren't too bad i would say. i mean...they make those handy boombox trays for the ipods and they seem to sound good, so as long as everything else like stereo, amps, and speakers are good, it should sound decent.
SUbuggy

Post by SUbuggy »

it will work, the problem lies in the output level of the Ipod (headphone) vs what the amp want to see on it's input.

but it will work, you just won't get as clean of a signal as if you went through the proper type of preamp
LOUDADDY

ipod

Post by LOUDADDY »

yep it'll work, i used to use the old CASSETTE and CD players back in the day. plus like the other guy said, there could be a input voltage difference,
but there are inline volume boosting transformers that you could pick up at a car stereo installation shop(store).-lou
SUbuggy

Post by SUbuggy »

the reality is the iPOD is probably too hot for the amp. remember, its headphone output is actually trying to drive a pair of small speakers. most amplifiers today like to see input voltages less than 2 volts. high end amps have wide dynamic range inputs that can actually run upwards of ten volts, but not many will do this. also the characterstic impedance of the circuits are totally different. this is where most of the noise comes from.

in input that is too "hot" for the amp causes signal "clipping" what is heard is distortion and a lower signal-to-noise ration...... the other reality is you are driving the amplifier harder than it was designed for. it would be like running your motor full wide open throttle all the time and using your brakes to control your speed.....very hard on all associated parts.

but it does work. if you find that you have your amp input gain set in the middle and you run the volume control to the max on the Ipod to get the sound to acceptible levels than you a probably not over driving your amp.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

THANKS...

In a former life I was a pro musician. Through all this world globe-trotting, I learned that many things could be done.

I'm aware of overdrive and some of the potential "potting" that may need to be done to make this come together.

Since I'd rather hear the hum of our engines, the iPod idea is just to put some chick music on for the Mrs.

My plan...

I was going to run some type of 1/8" strereo plug in the glove box, under the dash or in the ash tray... then feed it over the window pillars to a power amp under the passenger side on the rear seat to drive a few speakers.

I'm aware that this will not be the best setup, but will be nicer than chopping the dash for a stereo.

I'll report back this summer after it's installed.

T.
SUbuggy

Post by SUbuggy »

sounds good....i think alpine is making receivers that have a special input justt for ipods, like the factory BMW stuff.
freekazoid

Post by freekazoid »

SUbuggy wrote:sounds good....i think alpine is making receivers that have a special input justt for ipods, like the factory BMW stuff.
Yes they are, have been for a while now. They allow for control of the ipod from the headunit itself. Although after playing with one of the simpler early models i didnt like the lack of information that could would normal be displayed on an ipod. Especially when dealing with larger collections of music.

On the topic of ipod placement:
I've seen some small dash attachments that had short adjustable arm's. Although i havent seen it around a lot, i know its out there somewhere. I was thinking about using one of those on the underside of the dash. There it might even be able to bend away out of sight. Of course if you have a console of any sort the would be ideal. Although I myself after having bought one and returning it would never use one of those plastic consoles unless I was going to modify strengthen and upholster it.
JayInMI

Post by JayInMI »

Just don't use the headhpone jack. I used a Belkin charger/amplifier. I modified it to give me an output (which feeds the aux in on my EQ) and it charges the iPod while I'm at it. It plugs into the dock connector on the bottom of the iPod and has a fixed line level output. (Better quality signal), soon I might be talked out of it, since I am making a new one to integrate my new video iPod with the audio system and 7" Kenwood screen for my truck.

Jay
LOUDADDY

Post by LOUDADDY »

you dont have to hack the dash up, i made a housing to mount my alpinr deck in from the rear, check it out.-lou
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
danielshun

Post by danielshun »

:shock:
Last edited by danielshun on Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
danielshun

Post by danielshun »

I think there is a better way----iPod car adapter.
this adapter makes iPod or MP3 as a CD changer, and play iPod
or MP3 through car
audio system, it does not use FM transmitter, but wire connection.
(Plug into the CD changer port of the Head Unit). Once it is equipped,
you can choose music of iPod or USB disk from the car stereo's buttons
or steering wheel controls,
For example,
1 choose playlist from iPod
2 Select songs by Next or Previous
3 Multi Play mode: Repeat, Random, Scan
4 Charge function

I think it is useful. If anything what to know, you can ask me. :D
JayInMI

Post by JayInMI »

Which would be great if he was installing a car stereo that had controls to be integrated with. I'll probably do something similar in my buggy (iPod/amp/speakers) just for sound.

Jay
danielshun

Post by danielshun »

this kind of iPod car adapter is wonderful, it can make you control the iPod by the car audio such as the CD botton or even the steering wheel. its brand is XCarLink, and you can search it in google etc. it looks like as follow image:
grelland

Post by grelland »

MNAirHead wrote:THANKS...

In a former life I was a pro musician. Through all this world globe-trotting, I learned that many things could be done.

I'm aware of overdrive and some of the potential "potting" that may need to be done to make this come together.

Since I'd rather hear the hum of our engines, the iPod idea is just to put some chick music on for the Mrs.

My plan...

I was going to run some type of 1/8" strereo plug in the glove box, under the dash or in the ash tray... then feed it over the window pillars to a power amp under the passenger side on the rear seat to drive a few speakers.

I'm aware that this will not be the best setup, but will be nicer than chopping the dash for a stereo.

I'll report back this summer after it's installed.

T.
Any updates as to how this installation went?

After all, summer is over, and we are preparing for the next one, and would be interested in how to install some "stealth" tunes in our rides.