second/backup battery

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
ghostofme

second/backup battery

Post by ghostofme »

any ideas on wiring one of these in?...wiring diagram? any advice/help would be awesome. i'm pretty new at this so visuals would be a bonus.

thanks

J
freekazoid

Post by freekazoid »

I'm no electrician but since nobody else did i figure might as well post a reply.

I could see having the two batteries connected to a switch box to select current. They have battery kill switch's, you could do it very simply by having two kill switch's so one battery could be on and the other could be off. Have those two run to a connecter block like they use in car audio applications.

I dunno about this but you might be able to daisy chain the two negative terminals and a two to one switch box to select battery source.
The Noof

Post by The Noof »

I run a dual battery setup in my '72 bug. I have bothe batteries in the spare tire well (yup, no spare). I forget the battery number, but they yield 900 cca and lots of reserve when I crank the tunes. Works well.
drrnsk8ter4

Post by drrnsk8ter4 »

i run duals two only they're under the rear seat...i just went down to kragen and picked up a battery isolator and isolator wiring kit and it took about an hour (following directions) to wire it all up...i run my stereo off of the spare and everything for the car off the main
unclejohns78

Post by unclejohns78 »

Glad I can across this post. I was thinking about doing the same thing. I figured it wouldn't be much different than the dual battery setup on a westy.