Rear seat idea for my '72 Beetle

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
Jopapa

Rear seat idea for my '72 Beetle

Post by Jopapa »

The rear bench mounts inside my '72 bug are all boogered up. They had severe rust and the PO had just ground them mostly away (it was his resto project which I bought with plans to do many a great thing for the sake of mankind :P ). Anyway, I've got two options. I can try to repair the mounts and keep a bench in the back, or I've been debating on just putting a single low back bucket in the middle. This would let me put a console of some sort right next to the seat and an armrest of some sort on the other side, and whoever's in the back would be able to sit a little more comfortably with the ability to put his feet a little ways under the front seats on either side of the transmission hump.

Any thoughts on this? It should be pretty unique to see a car like this with just a single bucket in the back, but I think it could be really cool when it's all done.
Sir Was

Post by Sir Was »

I think it's a cool idea! I've been thinking the same thing, but with a single bucket on the drivers side and a spare wheel on the other side (to make space up front for oil coolers and some other stuff). I will propably have a roll cage with a diagonal bar across the interior, which also will limit the space for a rear bench/bucket seat.
Do it! 8)
Desert_Rat

Post by Desert_Rat »

Thats a great idea! I'm going to do the same thing on my 63 baja. When my dad was younger he did the same thing to his. He said that the person in the back had a heck of a lot more leg room than the bench seat.