68 baja build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Piledriver

Re: 68 baja build

Post by Piledriver »

To convert them you drill a small hole and let the gas charge out, then drill it bigger and tap it and install a Schrader valve.
The top of the shock is quite thick due to how they are made, the "cap" and tube are spun from a single chunk of material like how a gas bottle is made.

You can buy shocks with the shock eyes welded to the shafts, they are more compact and probably stronger, this mod doesn't effect rebuilding the shock, it just gives you a better place to clamp the shaft and you need one less tool.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Thats what i was thinking. IM gonna pass on doing that right now as i have the foxes maybe when i get irs. So how do i tell what spring rate my coils are?
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

"IM (sic) aware of these helper coil overs and all that ."

Yes, I'm sorry Travis but there are still lurkers out there and I still see those units on off-road stuff plus beat up rails and buggies for sale. It is more of a habit for me after ~34 years of learning, teaching and mentoring to take every available opportunity to get the word out on something not particularly good. It is the way I learned a lot of things by harping or interjecting me or someone else while I was around. Sorry if it offends you but it just might help someone else.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You could later set the Bilsteins up for the rears.

The spring rate is usually painted on, or part of the part#.
If there is no marking, the wire diameter, spring diameter and number of effective turns can be put into one of the many spring rate calculators online, usually very close.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:51 pm "IM (sic) aware of these helper coil overs and all that ."

Yes, I'm sorry Travis but there are still lurkers out there and I still see those units on off-road stuff plus beat up rails and buggies for sale. It is more of a habit for me after ~34 years of learning, teaching and mentoring to take every available opportunity to get the word out on something not particularly good. It is the way I learned a lot of things by harping or interjecting me or someone else while I was around. Sorry if it offends you but it just might help someone else.
ahh got you i forgot to consider that those shocks are a joke. Good to get that out there. I do notice yu always go above and beyond with the given information.

Piledriver wrote: You could later set the Bilsteins up for the rears.

The spring rate is usually painted on, or part of the part#.
If there is no marking, the wire diameter, spring diameter and number of effective turns can be put into one of the many spring rate calculators online, usually very close.
yeah no markings ill look into some calculators
http://www.pontiacracing.net/js_coil_spring_rate.htm
this on eis gibing me 315 for the softs and 400 for the hards so that doesnt seem too far off actually of what i should have.they used to be on the front of an a arm buggy chassis. Considering with a cage i might weigh about 2k lbs at most and gas tank up front so about 300 lbs per wheel so id think a 300 lb for soft and a 400 for hard makes sense. dont quote me as im no expert just that makes sense in my head.
Travis
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Most of the caged (edit-Bajas) on here weigh a bit more than 2K lbs, loaded.
I'd plan for 2500ish.
Last edited by Piledriver on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Travis, I haven't weighed either of my glass buggies but I understand that normally a short wheel base glass buggy is over 1500#s; more in the 1600# to 1800# range depending.

I did a search and got one post that claimed 1100#s to 1300#s which is more like the weight of a short wheelbase rail. Even then some guys claim a rail is in the 1500#s plus range depending on the wheel base, trans, engine, long or short back, etc.

I understand the curb weight of a stock VW bug is in the 1900# range... depending. Removing then adding features like a cage does add up even with removing stock materials.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

okay ive heard stock bug weighs like 1600 lbs and i wan thinking take about 100 off then add rollcage i forgot the mass of tools i carry and myself and a spare that i really need to get mounted. also the 2500 lbs seems a bit heavy as
jt1967 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:30 pm So my Red Head officially tipped the scales at 3132lbs with a full tank of fuel. Minus the case of Beer that leather mentioned earlier. cbeck you were the closest with 3250
thats a vs totally built car at only 600 lbs more than what im planning on.
The bigger point is will 300lb and 400lb springs work im assuming yes just because even with the tools and such those go behind my more toward the rear. im just deciding if im gonna go full coil over or just add the shocks without coils. either way i need stops either hook and rod or plate stops. similar to dustys
Travis
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

An early car weighs about 1600-1700 lbs empty.

A 68 will weigh closer to 1900, empty.
The stuff trimmed off for a Baja isn't really all that heavy, but that cage and junk that travels with us usually is.
I know my lard ass makes a difference.

I cant comment on the springs, I'm running indexable torsion bars F&R plus coil overs, but I'm strictly on pavement.
My bars are installed at ~ride height, they add rate and act much like roll bars, but locked in the middle.
Its a weird setup I doubt anyone else has tried.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

"An early car weighs about 1600-1700 lbs empty.

A 68 will weigh closer to 1900, empty."

:shock: Weird! When I did a search the only specific weight I could find was on a '68 and unless 'Pile found the same source I did the weight was the same.

For what it is worth, the guys with the rails I know do weigh empty and loaded with the driver (at least 'cause most run that way) on board. The ones with dual coil-overs on each shock seem to run 400# on the top spring and more like ~200# on the bottom spring but usually start with a heavier load bottom spring to start with. I've heard them talk of heaver setups to start with but as they get older the ride gets softer... usually.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:19 am "An early car weighs about 1600-1700 lbs empty.

A 68 will weigh closer to 1900, empty."

:shock: Weird! When I did a search the only specific weight I could find was on a '68 and unless 'Pile found the same source I did the weight was the same.

For what it is worth, the guys with the rails I know do weigh empty and loaded with the driver (at least 'cause most run that way) on board. The ones with dual coil-overs on each shock seem to run 400# on the top spring and more like ~200# on the bottom spring but usually start with a heavier load bottom spring to start with. I've heard them talk of heaver setups to start with but as they get older the ride gets softer... usually.
ok that sounds like im not too far off. i might have to set alot of preload and i might be pretty of up front but it should get me around
Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Travis, I have gone as high as 30 degrees of preload... on a IRS rear suspension and it was a stiff ride (remember, this is with a buggy too)!!! I have also heard of torsion bars breaking starting at around 28 degrees an higher... again, that is with IRS. 26 degrees seems to be about the max w/o really going up in torsion bar stoo and I have been told the same thing by others.

With swing axles I think the preload is going to max out at several degrees less to not have the tires angled in (that would be fully loaded) at rest.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:55 am Travis, I have gone as high as 30 degrees of preload... on a IRS rear suspension and it was a stiff ride (remember, this is with a buggy too)!!! I have also heard of torsion bars breaking starting at around 28 degrees an higher... again, that is with IRS. 26 degrees seems to be about the max w/o really going up in torsion bar stoo and I have been told the same thing by others.

With swing axles I think the preload is going to max out at several degrees less to not have the tires angled in (that would be fully loaded) at rest.
I was refering to the coilover preload if i were to use them on the front.
Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Sorry I can't help in the front. Again, as I understand it, its more weight driven and add to that a lot of other things egg., PP (personal preference). This is based on the conversations I listen to and the occasional questions I ask.

I also see a lot of more rails than Bajas, offload type IIs and glass buggies like mine.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:57 pm Sorry I can't help in the front. Again, as I understand it, its more weight driven and add to that a lot of other things egg., PP (personal preference). This is based on the conversations I listen to and the occasional questions I ask.

I also see a lot of more rails than Bajas, offload type IIs and glass buggies like mine.
what im doing is a bit odd anyways. Normally you dont see coilovers on stock width bajas and normally they are way modded. Just trying to be different stuff. on other news i got a 1981 Yamaha it175 dirtbike today. plastics are wrecked but is structurally sound free to me if want it.
Travis