Topic of the Day...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
CentralWAbaja

Re: Topic of the Day...

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Travis you sound like you got your head on straight man. Take a deep breath and tell yourself "I got this" because you do. Sorry for what you are dealing with, but sometimes life simply doesn't care how much it throws at you. Take in graduation and prom and try and have the time of your life with it. Find the "good" in tough situations (as you sound like you do...some people simply can't see that side of a crappy situation) and make the most out any day. Hang in there....You got this
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

CentralWAbaja wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 10:27 am Travis you sound like you got your head on straight man. Take a deep breath and tell yourself "I got this" because you do. Sorry for what you are dealing with, but sometimes life simply doesn't care how much it throws at you. Take in graduation and prom and try and have the time of your life with it. Find the "good" in tough situations (as you sound like you do...some people simply can't see that side of a crappy situation) and make the most out any day. Hang in there....You got this
just i feel like stuff is always and i mean always going wrong in my life hopefully thatll change soon.

IN other news doctor said i could walk. :D :D :D :D :D :D
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Hold on a minute.....It's not other news. That is the good in an otherwise crappy situation. You get to walk into prom and you get to walk at graduation. That is not other news. That is GREAT NEWS! I am happy for you on that.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

CentralWAbaja wrote:Hold on a minute.....It's not other news. That is the good in an otherwise crappy situation. You get to walk into prom and you get to walk at graduation. That is not other news. That is GREAT NEWS! I am happy for you on that.
Thank you yeah I still have to wear the brace Dr said its cool if I don't for prom though. So yeah today was a good day. Hopefully tomorrow I get some tubes in the bug done.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Travis
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

My kids uninsured 2000 superduty was recovered this week. Pass window, tailgate, dash gauges, tuner and gauges, and new 37" tires on 18" wheels-gone. Broken-pass locking hub, pass side inner axle, front pinion yoke and joint, and transfer case front out put shaft/bearing. Not a straight panel left. Found 60 miles and one state away, so far in the woods, it was called in by a train engineer. Has full coverage on the new 2000 sd.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Sorry for your loss Travis, stay busy and keep positive.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Leatherneck wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 7:17 pm Sorry for your loss Travis, stay busy and keep positive.
staying busy isnt a problem right now so thats good and i try to see the positives in things
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Got my welding certs today. Structural steel fillet from 18ga to 3ga. I didnt get the groove as I have never seen that used too much in the areas im looking for work. (it was really hard and i didnt want to pay to retake it again). Then I got a non-structural aluminum groove cert for 28ga to 3ga.
These may not be perfect but they will get me in the door to hopefully get a job. That has to wait until my leg is healed because nobody wants to hire a cripple.
Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Congrats on getting the certifications. I think I would look into getting the overhead cert also. When I was looking into requirements for where I was working it was required. I think I read that the marine industry has use for them.

I don't think it is (or should not be) it is being crippled so much as the healing would/could be compromised by awkward movements and that could be a liability for them.

Lee
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

The cert for me was just to get a foot in the door if special certs are needed they will often certify you themselves or just test you in shopnespecially for what i want. Im just going for a small fab shop that i can work while going to school

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Travis
madmitch

Post by madmitch »

dustymojave wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 11:12 pm Just thought I would pass on an interesting note about one of our group here.

I was at the MORE web page to download a course map for the McKenzie's 250 race this weekend (anybody else going?). So I thought I'd take a look at point standings while I was there. It turns out that our friend Mitch Hedrick is listed as leading the points in the 5/1600 Class.

Good job Mitch!

Not sure how that can be Dusty after a poor performance at BAP. I'll have to take a look at it.
If you feel you are picking up speed you may be going downhill.
madmitch

Post by madmitch »

dustymojave wrote:
BTW... Superglue (cyanoacrylate resin adhesive) was invented to be a surgical adhesive. (plastics research lab experience talking there)
I keep a bottle of it in my barn fridge for cuts ever since getting knocked off the freeway one night coming home in my 84 corvette. I went down an embankment drivers side first backing into a tree. The top of my head was cut from the removable top brackets. Paramedics came quickly to check out the accident. I declined treatment so they told me about superglue and how it is used on the battlefields. I drove the wreck home and the wife glued the cut for me while I held a flashlight. The power had gone out.
If you feel you are picking up speed you may be going downhill.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Travis, I missed your post about your mom last week. I'm really sorry for your loss.

CWB gave you some good advice above.

On other fronts, congratulations on your honor student status. My son graduated as an honor student 5 years ago.

On welding cert testing, congrats on your successes. I know it's tough to keep focused on such things with other things in your life going bad at the same time. It's been my observation that even where welding certs are not needed, the more you have, the more you will impress potential employers. Just like college degrees. Even if the college degree doesn't apply to what you're doing, it still impresses employers. I've worked in many technical positions over the years with bosses who knew nothing about what we were doing, but they had college degrees in unrelated subjects that got them more money than I was making even though I was the one who had the knowledge and did the work. What does a degree in African History have to do with running a plastics research lab? What does a degree in marketing have to do with safety engineering? The answer is that it gets you more money than other people who have worked at the job for years.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

As I said: after working along side the HR group in the company I worked for (several reasons for working with them) said that a degree tells them nothing but that you can start and finish a project. It doesn't tell them if you learned anything or didn't. I doesn't tell them if you can use what ever you learned or not. It doesn't tell them if you can think on your own... that come during the first 6 mos. to a year of working for them.

I worked with guys who had engineering degrees but their degree was not accepted by the company. I worked for a guy who had a forestry degree and that was in Aircraft. I worked for Aeronautical Engineers from prestigious collages/universities doing mechanical engineering and I was doing the paint and livery (the companies logo and paint scheme plus maintenance markings) on the outside of the airplane at the time.

Getting those extra certs come in handy at times and... you learn more about your chosen tasks.

And yes, I forgot to say I was saddened to hear of your mothers passing. Keep up the good work.

Lee
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

thank you guys and i get what youre saying lee makes alot of sense. Also with yours richard.

Now prom was great.
went with my girlfriend. Was way better than hers (last year) had a great time went with a small group and really enjoyed it and dinner.
Ill probably post a picture later when i get around to resizing it.

Got the rest of the important stuff from my moms house and gave the keys to a friend of ours to take it to mexico. so thats almost done.
Travis