***Leathernecks rail ***

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

Re: ***Leathernecks rail ***

Post by Leatherneck »

Piledriver wrote:On the boost gauge left of zero typically is vacuum, clockwise is boost.
Ok, so I will wait and see once I get on the road. Don't remember it doing that last time but I also had it hooked up to the Cold side of the Turbo.

CentralWAbaja wrote::D :D :D
Yeah I know. :lol:
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Piledriver wrote:On the boost gauge left of zero typically is vacuum, clockwise is boost.
Alrighty then, I will wait till I can get some negative vacuum and see what happens.
CentralWAbaja wrote::D :D :D
I know. :lol:

Ok, have Turbo, exhaust, intake pulled back off. Have some welding to do on the exhaust, noticed a couple pin holes also need to trim clamps and some other misc odds and ends to clean up.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

New belts are in, should be a lot more comfortable. Checked Pins in the Arm, all nice and tight.
IMG_0233.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Oooooo! Aaaaaah! Looking good Leather.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:Oooooo! Aaaaaah! Looking good Leather.

I'm working it Lee :lol:

So I figured since I was working on the seat belts I would go ahead and check rear wheel bearings. Don't remember grease being on the splines. Normal? I'll clean and pack the bearings, new seals and such. Was just wondering if that was norm, been awhile since I pulled them.
IMG_0235.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

When I grabbed the spline it felt a little rough in rotation, didn't sound good either. Took it apart, bearing wasn't that old just started to deteriorate, plenty of grease still packed inside.

https://youtu.be/dUU8k8rXXwg

[url][http://youtu.be/dUU8k8rXXwg/url]

dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

The o-ring between the outer bearing inner race and the outer thrust spacer should be keeping the grease inside. Maybe the bearing starting to fail allowed enough wobble in there to let the o-ring leak. At least the grease on the splines makes it MUCH easier to remove the drum than if dry and rusty. I prefer to use anti-sieze for that.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

dustymojave wrote:The o-ring between the outer bearing inner race and the outer thrust spacer should be keeping the grease inside. Maybe the bearing starting to fail allowed enough wobble in there to let the o-ring leak. At least the grease on the splines makes it MUCH easier to remove the drum than if dry and rusty. I prefer to use anti-sieze for that.
The inner bearing was the one to fail, no wobble just could feel and hear it when I turned by hand, sounded dry but it was still packed with grease. I am going to clean it up and see where the bad spot is at. The only O ring i had was the large one, no small one installed, hmm.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I am stoked today, not because some team won the Super Bowl but because I felt the boost of a Turbo in the buggy today. I need to do some jetting but AFR was in the 9 range at 5lbs which is all I wanted to do right now. Wasn't sure how much lag I was going to have but it was fairly responsive, I was smiling ear to ear for sure.

In advance sorry for the poor vid quality. I don't want to hear it Daron.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf8HVnwrdkI[/BBvideo]
Last edited by Leatherneck on Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

The turbo is not building enough steam (for me) so started trying to figure out why. I have a couple very small holes inside of the exhaust. Now to figure how to get to it. I hung the turbo on some wires and took it out. See what I come up with this weekend . Not exciting but the end result should help the excitement factor.
IMG_261.jpg
Little rod going across was a brace, now it is in the way.
IMG_260.jpg
IMG_259.jpg
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

When I was running way rich noticed the pin leak, finally took it off and did something about it. It was not easy getting in there, I used flux core wire with the tip shield off.
Before, really two small pin holes in the prievious repair.
IMG_264.jpg
Doesn't look pretty but hopefully will seal it up without being brittle.
IMG_265.jpg
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

give it a whirl and report back
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

CentralWAbaja wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:44 am give it a whirl and report back
I will interested in seeing what those two little holes cost me in psi boost
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Leather are your rear shocks any better? Also are you more comfortable working on them now?

Ed
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

no1clyde wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:16 am Leather are your rear shocks any better? Also are you more comfortable working on them now?

Ed
A lot better Ed, thanks for all of your guidance on that. We took a couple good bounces and the butt stayed down vice jumping up in the air. Feel a lot better about working on them, not the witchcraft they used to be.