***Leathernecks rail ***

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Sand.
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

those gonna be fronts?
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Rear, cutting a row of lugs out every 4th one.
scott the viking

Post by scott the viking »

I have cut tires a few times when I was a kid...didn't really notice much of a difference...Might as well do the other side though, so they match.

Next time we meet in person...remind me to have my dog take your dog down a peg or two :lol:

RyanB

Post by RyanB »

Wow! That looks like alot of work there leatherneck on cutting tires. Should be interesting! Let us know how well it works in the sand! I assume you will still have to bring the tire pressure way down?
scott the viking

Yes...the pressure has to be low even with paddles (if you want them to work like they should). Paddle tires were just not something I could afford as a teenager...so I tried about every type of tire I could get my hands on for next to nothing. I used to get out of date tundra (not the Toyota) tires off of small aircraft. They were wide and had that smooth ribbed tread. I would take a hot knife and cut what looked like knobbies out of the ribs. like this

The cutting DID make a difference on my old water pumpers. But they were so heavy and really lacked the kind of traction a VW with half the power had. By the time I got into VW powered rails...I could afford paddles. However...my Brother could not, so he would cut tires for his VW rail...we really could not tell much difference between a cut tire or an uncut on his rail. What would make a HUGE difference is tire pressure...even a pound less would make it go places that it would not go before. We just kept letting air out, a pound at a time until one came off the bead, then we went up one pound. This is especially true on low powered cars, the difference a few pound of air can make in the tires is something you will have to experience to believe. You will go from holding your car at half throttle and running high heat just to keep it moving at a decent pace, to kind of floating along effortlessly.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Here are my weapons of choice for cutting the tires, the sawzall for the lugs and the grinder with the take your friken hand off attachment to grind them down.

Anybody has any better ideas or tools other then those manufactured (that's no fun) to do it let me know.
scott the viking

Hot knife is what I always used.
tuff_puff

Post by tuff_puff »

leatherneck. use a propane torch and a puddy knife. it will take those lugs off in one swipe! and it will look WAY cleaner. just wrap the handle in duct tape. (learned that one the hard way! :oops: )
shmoishere

Post by shmoishere »

scott the viking wrote:Hot knife is what I always used.
Ya,

but then you got all skinny and your tooof fell out. Not good advice crackhead Bob :roll:

SHMO
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

anybody ever run the groovie tires? they look like an old atv tire from the 70's, roound with small square lugs. pretty cheap also......

btw, leatherneck, your're not susposed to use dewalt saw blades in a porter cable recip saw.... :lol:
scott the viking

Sure...I had a set on a manx. They have a nice soft side wall and bumble along pretty good. I had kind of a terra tire on my bug for a while and they didn't do too bad either. If you have a low powered car and don't really go to the dunes that often...the desert traks like you have are your best bet.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I hate it when he calls our ORV's low powered. I'm going to install a couple of those motors you put on a bicycle to help you up hills, then we will see who is low powered. 8)

Bajaherbie, I talked to Norm, Abram that is and he said if you are using it for non woodworking and it is between 12:30 and 4:27 it is ok to use the blades.

scott the viking

Power impaired better :shock:
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Have to add that to the list of my other "impired items" I have.