***Leathernecks rail ***

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

Re: ***Leathernecks rail ***

Post by Leatherneck »

Thanks Tim, really do appreciate your guidance and help, I will do the same when needed. It is nice having the quality and durability of the Foxes on all 4 now. Never had a problem from the front ones and I expect the back ones will be even better.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Rebuilding the carb, finally taking the turbo hats off and adding velocity stacks. Have had a bad idle for ever! So rebuilding, going through it, dipped it, checking all the numbers on internals. Had to extend the carb cover so I would have more then the required 1 3/8 gap. Could not find one to purchase so had this one modified. He said it was a devil to weld with all the oils in it. hmmm guess I should of tried to heat and clean it but it looks good for me.
Carb cover mod.JPG
Should be interesting the difference it will make with this change.
Vel vs Turbo hat.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jt1967

Post by jt1967 »

Leatherneck wrote:Rebuilding the carb, finally taking the turbo hats off and adding velocity stacks. Have had a bad idle for ever! So rebuilding, going through it, dipped it, checking all the numbers on internals. Had to extend the carb cover so I would have more then the required 1 3/8 gap. Could not find one to purchase so had this one modified. He said it was a devil to weld with all the oils in it. hmmm guess I should of tried to heat and clean it but it looks good for me.
Carb cover mod.JPG
Vel vs Turbo hat.JPG
Looks good to me :)
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

jt1967 wrote:
Leatherneck wrote:Rebuilding the carb, finally taking the turbo hats off and adding velocity stacks. Have had a bad idle for ever! So rebuilding, going through it, dipped it, checking all the numbers on internals. Had to extend the carb cover so I would have more then the required 1 3/8 gap. Could not find one to purchase so had this one modified. He said it was a devil to weld with all the oils in it. hmmm guess I should of tried to heat and clean it but it looks good for me.
Carb cover mod.JPG
Vel vs Turbo hat.JPG
Looks good to me :)
That is important!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

[img]
image.jpeg
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikeadams

Post by mikeadams »

Carb cover mod.JPG
Vel vs Turbo hat.JPG
You in san diego anytime soon? I have a wideband that makes engine tuning unbelievably fun. TOS has a thread about using one that is a good read, if you have time..
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Thanks Mike, I need to read that thread. I finally got the AFR's under control. I have been burning lean for awhile. Ole girl keeps hammering away though. I'm down in the 12's now but need to fine tune cause that Mohave trail eats up some fuel just trying to keep all you guys dust trail in sight.

Question, what or when is the time to pull the cv's and give them a good cleaning and fresh grease? For once I haven't had to pull them in awhile. A guess is they have a couple thousand easy miles on them.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Leatherneck wrote:
Question, what or when is the time to pull the cv's and give them a good cleaning and fresh grease? For once I haven't had to pull them in awhile. A guess is they have a couple thousand easy miles on them.
Before the trip or it will be done on the trip for sure....or maybe that's just me.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

CentralWAbaja wrote:
Leatherneck wrote:
Before the trip or it will be done on the trip for sure....or maybe that's just me.
That's what I was thinking, spend to much time worrying what am I going to break as it is. Don't want to but I need to. Thanks buddy
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Probably Finagles Law would be in effect as Murphy is an optimist!
mikeadams

Post by mikeadams »

Leatherneck wrote:Thanks Mike, I need to read that thread. I finally got the AFR's under control. I have been burning lean for awhile. Ole girl keeps hammering away though. I'm down in the 12's now but need to fine tune cause that Mohave trail eats up some fuel just trying to keep all you guys dust trail in sight.

I would prep the cv's, just cause it's always been a weak link, for me. I was smart the last time I did them and marked what went where so it was easier to keep track of whether it was an innie or an outie.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
So I pulled the engine, I think I found the leak. Main seal in the back was cracked, while case was apart I repaired a stripped stud and another just because it might be later. Pulled the cv,s checked the tranny fluid and pivot pins, all good. While I had the cv,s out I redid the seal on the inner cv cups. Rear bearings feel good, no play there.
image.jpeg
mikeadams

Post by mikeadams »

That pit in the inner star- I've heard of guys tigging that up and polishing it out. Anybody know if it's worth the work? I always dremal them out so that they are at least smooth but always feel like I'm wasting time.
PhillipM

Post by PhillipM »

Scrap to be honest, it's hardened so unless you can match it by grinding the whole channel and welding then regrinding, then you'll always have issues with a soft spot either from the weld or the HAZ from just doing the one spot - grinding them out is a waste too as it just takes the load off that ball and onto the other 5, unless you blue the whole lot and grind them all together.

For the price of a CV star - even over here where they're 3x the price as your side of the pond - it's not worth it unless you have to in an emergency, in which case just knock any burrs off it and add lots of grease :lol:
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I think you would have to heat treat also...