Who are You ?

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
CrustyNuts

Re: Who are You ?

Post by CrustyNuts »

While I'm not a champion lurker like az66s, have been keeping an eye on things since 2012.
Live in Houston, TX with my wife of 29 years. Have a 59 convertible Baja that I bought in Phoenix in 1998. The car was previously raced, most likely in the early eighties as it has a swing axle suspension with lay down reduction gear boxes.
I am rebuilding the car, to make it street legal and to trailer to our place in Rocky Point, Mex.
I'd like to know more about the car and its history and maybe there is a STF member that knows something about it. I know that the place to start is starting a thread with pictures but I am occupied for the next few weeks with vacation. I'll start my thread when I can get back into the garage.
Reading through the builds has been educational and the STF camaraderie is both unusual and welcoming. Most forums become battlegrounds and I have not seen that environment here.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Welcome! And yeah no A-holes allowed around here. We run them right off LOL. Get some pics up we love old race cars around here.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

it will most likely be quite old school done because the people around me that have some experience dad, uncle, ect built them many years ago and im gonna buy the book and hopefully post some pictures and start a new thread in about 2 weeks ill try to find some pics of my uncles too. How do pictures work just post to photobucket and inset the img tags?
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Old school is cool. Check out Baja IT's thread. One of the coolest old school cars out there. Have a look at my thread titled Before there ever was a CentralWAbaja that covers my sons rebuilding of my old school car.

Pics are as you just said. Just make sure you reduce the pic to below 600x800 pixels
rickosuave1987

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Welcome to the dirt pile bikesndbugs!

Like CWA said, post up some pics when you can.

I think there is a setting somewhere in Photobucket that can set all uploads to a certain size, just set it to 600x800 and then use the [IMG] tags to post it here.
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Photobucket does have some editing capabilities. You can resize after "up-loading" which is usually the big part to posting here. For posting on STF I use "image" choice in "share" and for non-direct image sharing on Email I use the Email& IM choice for a URL. I usually pre-edit before I send the photos to Photobucket; this allows me to highlight, get rid of a bunch of not necessary (cropping) stuff and resize.

I also do pre-edit to point things out or clarify what I plan on doing in case someone has another or better idea.

For the most part, what is in Photobucket is all you need. I do make my files "private" so stuff can't be grabbed.

Photobucket is one of a couple of useful tools for picture sharing.

Lee
Metal Twister

Post by Metal Twister »

I joined up a few years ago when I was considering do some barter work for a VW Thing... Time has passed and I finally did what I needed to do to get the air cooled in my barn. I'm back now because it is time to get busy on it and make it into what I want.

I am native to San Diego and have enjoyed a life time of off road in our Local Mountains, Deserts and of course Baja. I Started out on mini bikes and to be honest I've done just about everything off road since then. Ive raced AMA District 38 desert and motocross for years, Dual sported most of Baja on the KTM LC4 as well as our local deserts, I did a quick 4 years in the Air Force and jumped right back into the toys when I got out. I then got into the 4 wheel off road race scene for awhile as I was honing my metal working skills. I then turned my attention to the long travel sand cars until the economy went up side down. From there I got pretty heavy into the Rock Crawler scene. Now that I'm almost retirement age the Thing sounds like a fun project. Something about a good sounding VW that will stick with you for life time. I don't want to get into all the details of everything Ive done but it has been fairly extensive as far as hot rods and off road goes.

I'm a custom metal fabricator and have a shop in Casa de Oro area of Spring Valley Ca. I specialize in custom one off Hot Rod and Off Road products, it seems I'm always in the process of building a car or two as well. I was just persuaded to do the Instagram thing so I have some of my work posted up there under metaltwister if anyone is interested.... Well that's enough of me, I'm looking forward to reading past posts, lurking around, and occasionally adding an opinion if needed. Looking forward to talking with you guys and hopefully we can get together and do some air cooled off roading?
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Metal Twister wrote:I I did a quick 4 years in the Air Force and jumped right back into the toys when I got out.
WhooHoo! Another flyboy! I did 4 years under the plains of Kansas. Welcome!
Metal Twister

Post by Metal Twister »

It is amazing how fast time goes by... seems like a life time ago I was in Iceland Aero-space command , South Carolina at Shaw AFB SAC, and finished up in Fairfield Ca. Travis AFB. Mac. Man o Man, i never looked back! LOL
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

Our AFB trains C17 and KC135 pilots. In a few more years we get the new C46 (?) Tanker training. The economy is doing pretty well here, lots of real estate happenings going on.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

You Air Force guys and your fancy bks and nice mess halls. LOL, glad you guys are here, Looking forward to seeing some of your work on here Metal Twister
Metal Twister

Post by Metal Twister »

Yep surprised you noticed that stuff as busy as they keep you guys! There were some benefits to being on flight status... The time I spent in Iceland it was a NATO base run by the Navy... Not bad Chow at all! Funny how camping and roughing it is fun now. :D Complete and very different missions! With that said all my exposure to the Marines was always impressive. You cats can run, and run, and run, and run! You guys rock! Thanks for the kind words. Regards, Your friendly Forward Air Controller...
lakeside

Post by lakeside »

I'm Paul from Western Canada, 48 yr old robotics engineer, long time multiple vw owner. Type 1s, type 2, Karmann ghia even, oh yeah and a jetta tdi almost forgot. Spent the last decade offroad motorcycle adventuring around different places : Canada, US, Mexico, Spain, Cambodia..

I'm definitely a motorsport enthusiast, drive my old Alfa Romeo in tbe summer, changed oit the injectors and high pressure fuel lines in my duramax diesel , just built an offroad shortcourse race truck and currently in my first year racing that.

Huge fan of baja bugs and have spent plenty of time here reading over the last 8 years. Huge desert racing fan, ridden baja multiple times for recreation, alwas thought I'd build a race vw. Class 11, no Class 9, well maybe Class 2-1600, or wait, maybe class 5-1600. Or perhaps 5 unlimited lol! You can see how it goes.

Some guys are racing bugs shortcourse in the same series I'm racing in, and it's got me back here lol.

I've got a lovely bride of nearly 25 years, we have two honour roll teenage kids, a son and daughter. We live on a small acreage with horses, dogs, cats and I'm lucky enough to have a 2600□ft shop on my acreage to work on my toys. It might sound otherwise, but it's a modest living with lots of good fortune and teamwork.

Great group here, glad to be part of it.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Good to have you here Paul
Metal Twister

Post by Metal Twister »

Welcome Paul, I only beat your through the door by a few weeks and so far everything gets a thumbs up. I think your going to like it here... What ever its worth have a good plan before you start building that race car of yours. I have spent way too much time and money over the years changing thing around once I have gotten started on a project. Look forward to speaking with you here in the near future!

Oh and they are all great here except that one guy! You will figure out who he is right away! :roll: 8)
Just messing with ya. Welcome :D