Making progress...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
DesertGuy

Post by DesertGuy »

Skid, very nice! Looking forward to your review of that 10140 kit. Do you have any close up pics of that fancy fuse block? ... So what do you think your conservative timeframe for running is? :wink:
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Conservatively speaking... 3-6 months. I usually don't get much work done on weeknights, and not all weekends a free either. This is why it has been "under construction" for a year and a half already...

The fuse box is nice - sealed with an o-ring. I will get some better pics posted later tonight... going out to dinner with the family. I spent most of today helping my son with his science fair project. At least the baja got something done to it yesterday...

Everything in my garage ends up with a layer of dust on it... except for my Suby!!! 8)
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

Lookin great there Skid!
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Here is the pic of the fuse box...

subybaja

Post by subybaja »

:evil: I can't get my brain to tell me where, but I ran across fuses recently with an LED built in that lights up when the fuse blows!
(just thinking how much fun it would be to pull all of those looking for the bad apple)
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

I finished installing the rear shocks this afternoon after work...

I have some more tubing showng up at work tomorrow for my rear cage and radiator mount. Cutting and welding is in my near future... along some bending too. 8)
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Man Skid you have done a lot of work on that Baja, Slowly but surely, it is looking good though.
anzan

Post by anzan »

Skid, Two questions: 1. are those stock backing plates with the brake lines showing? 2. where did you get your trailing arms? They look like mine but I can't get brake lines to clear the arms.
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Yes, those are Type I drums... I have new German Thing drums, already studded, waiting to be put on. I need to work on the front brakes some too. None of the hydraulic systems are bled yet, but ready to. Still a mighty long "to do" list.

The trailing arms were withthe car when I bought it... not sure who made them.
DesertGuy

Post by DesertGuy »

What ignition switch are you going to use, that is if you plan on a keyed ignition. Also, with that wiring kit, where does your flasher/hazard figure in...is it off of those pigtail dealios?
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

I do have a keyed ignition switch, but I will be using a push button for start instead of the spring loaded on the key. I just like push button starts!

I haven't gotten that far into the wiring yet. It has a 50 amp master fuse, and the flasher relays plug into the two pig tial/connectors just below the fuse box. I assume they do the hazard, but I need another switch for that... didn't think about it.
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

I ordered my radiator from a local shop. I am having it made to fit the mount I am building. I will have a square tube frame surrounding the radiator that will pivot at the front mounts. I will be able to adjust the angle of the radiator to find the best air flow. I am using urethane mounts to help cut down the vibration. I extended the horizontal tubes coming from the firewall by sleeving them and drilling holes for rosette welds in the outer tube. The radiator will be mounted so the engine can be removed separately.

The rear cage will unbolt from the top tubes and underneath the motor.
crane550

Post by crane550 »

Looks great! I really like how you have the back set up. What kind of engine are you running?
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Subaru 2.5L SOHC n/a... rated at ~190 hp.
Oldbugss

Post by Oldbugss »

Very nice and great to see the progress pics.

I see an engine I am fairly familiar with. The EJ25 SOHC is as nice one when it comes time to change that timing belt. I sure wish I had more garage so I could fab up my own Baja quicker.

Hey Tim, remember what grass and pavement used to look like? That open garage door of Skid's is a tease! Wish I put as much energy in the Bug as I have put into shoveling these past couple days.

Seriously, great looking! I am absorbing it all in.

Dennis C~