Making progress...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
dustymojave

Re: Making progress...

Post by dustymojave »

What year is your body shell? If it's a (hmmm...IIRC) '68 or later it should have a VIN tag in the bottom left windshield corner. Pop riveted to the defroster vent lip. There's a '69 in my driveway right now that has that.

Beyond that , Keep your fingers crossed and good luck to ya!
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Body is a '70, but no windshield VIN.
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

AAAAhhhhhhh....So the ONLY VIN is on the tunnel...Tsk Tsk Tsk :roll:

:) :) 8)
Richard
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Unfortunately it was like that when I bought it. Got my Nevada DMV appointment on the 29th. My truck regi expires on the 31st. Jerry Brown can suck it! Going from over $500 in CA to $117 in NV.
Last edited by Skidmark on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

So you're not going to contribute to the high speed train project anymore. Or pay for road maintenance that doesn't get done because the funds have been diverted for other uses? You're no help at ALL!

So how is it otherwise up there?
Richard
Retired Fabricator
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

The moving company is showing up on Friday. I may be here for a few more days clearing out the last of the stuff and tying up loose ends. I have to be up there no later than Tuesday next week since another snow storm is blowing through on Wednesday.

Diverted for "other uses"... yeah, I am not going to get into THAT one!

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Hee, hee, hee! Out of the frying pan and into the freezer! So true, so true 8) .

I think you will grow to like it there. Fairly quiet and still somewhat nonplussed... at least for a while that is. Bend is in a building bubble with nothing to support it yet so we will see.

Plenty of room to roam around. If you get to Christmas Valley can you get and post some pix please. wanted to go there but it doesn't look like I/we will make it. It is supposed to have a couple of small dunes and a lot of riding area. I used to have a couple of friend there but haven't seen or talked to them in years. I think they got onto another tangent.

Lee
Class 11 streeter

Post by Class 11 streeter »

Hey Skid everything going ok? If you need help staying........
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

We made it! Moved up for the final time last Saturday. Everyday has been a whirlwind with all of the change of address, cancel of services, getting new services hooked up, blah blah, blah! I had the internet installed two hours ago. It turns out the DMV is going to work out fine. Sometimes I stress out! I had the volunteer Sheriffs come out to the new house and fill out the necessary VIN inspections. My DMV appt is Thursday to re-register 5 vehicles. DL's will have to wait since most of our necessary docs are in a file cabinet on a moving van somewhere. No smog, no vehicle inspection. The sheriffs were actually suggesting I get a CCW, since, you know, it's Nevada! The rest of our life shows up this weekend, so the next month or two will be digging out of boxes and reorganizing. I almost had to completly remove my fuel cell to expose the VIN. I need to put that back together tomorrow. At least in retirement I am working my ass of for me, and not someone else! :)

no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Good to hear the DMV was good to you. Here in Elko we have had no problems with Bajas but they will not register a tube frame buggy no mater what you do :( Hope you enjoy your new home state.

Ed
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

no1clyde wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:27 am Good to hear the DMV was good to you. Here in Elko we have had no problems with Bajas but they will not register a tube frame buggy no mater what you do :( Hope you enjoy your new home state.

Ed
The same here in WA. At one time you could have a street licensed rig but that go nipped due to miss-use by some and other safety options as crash worthiness and them visibility disappearing in the rain, fog and snow. Off-road only titles now so you have the title to get off-road insurance.

There is/has been some talk about on-road but with severe limitations such as around some/certain towns in or near off-road areas combined with speed and other limitations. Not sure about windshield, wipers and other safety and emergency equipment. I haven't talked to anyone about it this year but since the SBS/SXS dealers cut a deal for riding on the road... with limitations there was some talked about similar regulations for "rails" but nothing more than talk right now.

Lee
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Success! :D :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Atta boy! 8) 8)
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

Time to go play now!
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

"Like"

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.