So...you wanna go turbo?

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

You can do some reading on the turbo FI thing in the FI forum, (yes, there are other forums here at STF)

I'm going turbo with megasquirt EFI/Ford EDIS on my Duratec, and will post up as I make my way through that saga...
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

Your welcome to come to the turbo section. Lets of very knowledgeable people there.

Scott left here no reason but the one he knows.
Last edited by seabeebuggy on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.BigMikesGunAndAmmo.com
Thomas Jefferson said It may be necessary for a country to have a revolution every 200 years to right the wrongs of a Government.
Got Lead?
72bajaben

Post by 72bajaben »

takotruckin wrote:You can do some reading on the turbo FI thing in the FI forum, (yes, there are other forums here at STF)
hahah...REALLY...ive looked around and it doesnt seem that too many people are posting about the Megasquirt. Especially on a T4. BUt i guess really its just about the same as a T1...just a tad bit bigger.

I'll prolly end up over in that forum before too long.
Semper Fidelis!
Build Thread
rubenski

Re: So...you wanna go turbo?

Post by rubenski »

Ruben from belgium here,

Just read trough all the pages.
Now i want one too,

Is scott still on this forum? Or can he be contacted?
I got a few questions for him.

Greetings!
Better to be blown than to suck!
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

sorry, but the Viking has been Missing In Action for several years now....

check the forced induction forum here on STF, probably some others that could help.
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Wow, that's a bummer...

I was amazed by his knowledge of turbo's. ..

I'll try in the forced induction forum...
Better to be blown than to suck!
Bob Brugge

Post by Bob Brugge »

Holy Crap!!! After reading 39 pages of this I am soooooo lost and dissapointed that STV is MIA.
I wanna go racing so bad! Here is what I have and what I am trying to do. I am very sure there are better ways, but I am using what I have...
OK, I have a 69 baja, all cut up, lightened up, lifted, etc.
I want to lower it back down and put some full fenders on it and run it 1/8th mile.
I have 4 engines, one built (1641) one almost built (1679) and two more on my shelves, one case is opened up for 92mm P&C that I plan on putting a 76 mm CW crank in (just over 2kcc), and one t4 case and heads that I want to turn into full race (Just under 3kcc).
My intention is to finish the 1679, put it in my DD, take the 1641 out of my DD and mate it to the 3 rib trans in my Baja so I can get the car running while I build the 2kcc motor. I wondered if there is a turbo that will work for both the 2kcc and the 3kcc motor? I want to build the 2kcc motor to run N/A at first and turbo it as $$ and the wife allow.
Next... I don't want to run any of these motors over say...6kRPM. I believe a slower turning motor will last a lot longer than one running +8kRPM, but that's my theory. Let me state now that I have absolutely no intention of going somewhere like Pomona for the Winter Nationals, but it would be cool as hell to beat the crap out of everyone on the local circuit...eventually.
I think I want the next motor I am building to be around 200 HP and my final race motor to be around 300HP if that is a realistic goal with these engines and configurations. I know I have a boat load of stuff to learn still, and that's OK too.
But I have no idea where to even start. I know I can get a kit from someone like CB performance, and that some people have had really good results with their products, but that is nt the way I want to go. All of these builds will be a paycheck to paycheck, or tax return to tax return build. Some of the more expensive stuff, like the $1200.00 crank I am eyeballing would be a tax return item, while things like the 76mm crank would be a paycheck item.
Either way, I have no clue what would be necessary to build these motors as far as valves, heads, trans, R&P, gear ratios, etc. I know this is the off road forum, and I am sure there are plenty of threads for racing, etc, but after reading 39 pages of this thread, I would sooooo just like someone who has some real and actual knowledge to just freaking tell me what I need! I already know it is going to cost an arm and a leg and probably a nut, but that's OK, I have all the time in the world...or at least until I have a heart attack and croak. With a few more of these excruciatingly long, but way cool threads, it may happen sooner than I expect!
Sorry in advance for posting here if this is the wrong place for it, feel free to move it to a more appropriate thread if it is way off topic. I am posting here, not trying to hijack,BTW, because I want to turbo...turbo...turbo. I REALLY like the idea of a whiff of NOS to get it spinning that much sooner. :twisted: Super dissapointed that the FI part of this thread got derailed, I had some Q's about that too.

OK. I am done ranting and asking maybe dumb questions now and will go lurk on the race threads.
AS SEEN ON TV!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Bob, go on over to the Forced Induction Forum. Those guys can spend your money for you too. Good Luck, you'll enjoy it.
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

Hey Bob,

What kind of tracks do you have up there by Missoula? There's an 1/8 mile drag strip over here just outside Anaconda, pretty close to where I live.
Home made rail (street legal), 1600 DP, 34PICT-3, T3 brakes, 4-1 glass-pack exhaust, 31's in back and 7.00x15's up front. Link to build thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=147561&p=1227553#p1227553
Bob Brugge

Post by Bob Brugge »

GoMopar440 wrote:Hey Bob,

What kind of tracks do you have up there by Missoula? There's an 1/8 mile drag strip over here just outside Anaconda, pretty close to where I live.

Lost Creek, right? That is the only track I know of around here. Cool, we are nearly neighbors! :D :D
AS SEEN ON TV!
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

Yea, Lost Creek (AKA: "Lost Traction" lol) is about 5 miles from my house. We can hear them racing almost every weekend during the summer.
Home made rail (street legal), 1600 DP, 34PICT-3, T3 brakes, 4-1 glass-pack exhaust, 31's in back and 7.00x15's up front. Link to build thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=147561&p=1227553#p1227553
david58

Post by david58 »

Talk about a blast from the past
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Bob Brugge wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:57 pm Holy Crap!!! After reading 39 pages of this I am soooooo lost and dissapointed that STV is MIA.
I wanna go racing so bad! Here is what I have and what I am trying to do. I am very sure there are better ways, but I am using what I have...
OK, I have a 69 baja, all cut up, lightened up, lifted, etc.
I want to lower it back down and put some full fenders on it and run it 1/8th mile.
I have 4 engines, one built (1641) one almost built (1679) and two more on my shelves, one case is opened up for 92mm P&C that I plan on putting a 76 mm CW crank in (just over 2kcc), and one t4 case and heads that I want to turn into full race (Just under 3kcc).
My intention is to finish the 1679, put it in my DD, take the 1641 out of my DD and mate it to the 3 rib trans in my Baja so I can get the car running while I build the 2kcc motor. I wondered if there is a turbo that will work for both the 2kcc and the 3kcc motor? I want to build the 2kcc motor to run N/A at first and turbo it as $$ and the wife allow.
Next... I don't want to run any of these motors over say...6kRPM. I believe a slower turning motor will last a lot longer than one running +8kRPM, but that's my theory. Let me state now that I have absolutely no intention of going somewhere like Pomona for the Winter Nationals, but it would be cool as hell to beat the crap out of everyone on the local circuit...eventually.
I think I want the next motor I am building to be around 200 HP and my final race motor to be around 300HP if that is a realistic goal with these engines and configurations. I know I have a boat load of stuff to learn still, and that's OK too.
But I have no idea where to even start. I know I can get a kit from someone like CB performance, and that some people have had really good results with their products, but that is nt the way I want to go. All of these builds will be a paycheck to paycheck, or tax return to tax return build. Some of the more expensive stuff, like the $1200.00 crank I am eyeballing would be a tax return item, while things like the 76mm crank would be a paycheck item.
Either way, I have no clue what would be necessary to build these motors as far as valves, heads, trans, R&P, gear ratios, etc. I know this is the off road forum, and I am sure there are plenty of threads for racing, etc, but after reading 39 pages of this thread, I would sooooo just like someone who has some real and actual knowledge to just freaking tell me what I need! I already know it is going to cost an arm and a leg and probably a nut, but that's OK, I have all the time in the world...or at least until I have a heart attack and croak. With a few more of these excruciatingly long, but way cool threads, it may happen sooner than I expect!
Sorry in advance for posting here if this is the wrong place for it, feel free to move it to a more appropriate thread if it is way off topic. I am posting here, not trying to hijack,BTW, because I want to turbo...turbo...turbo. I REALLY like the idea of a whiff of NOS to get it spinning that much sooner. :twisted: Super dissapointed that the FI part of this thread got derailed, I had some Q's about that too.

OK. I am done ranting and asking maybe dumb questions now and will go lurk on the race threads.
Bob, start a build thread that is yours in "VW Speed and Drag Racing" (which is just below the off-road forum on the "Specialty Forums" list) and there is already a lot of specific information there in case you missed seeing this forum. Your build forum is for you to keep track of what you are doing, for people to answer specific questions you will have and... for others to learn from.

It has been many years since I drag raced and never with a VW but off-roading has some similar problems and that being mostly with the pan and the rear torsion assembly as you are going to abuse heck out of the stock pan and stock components just as we do off-road.

Lee
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

This thread is the one that got me started and to where I am now. 15+psi with an MS3x. Crazy.
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
blobug

Post by blobug »

WOW, good thing I didn’t read these 39 pages before I started my project. But I am in need of a little help.
I’m at 6000 ft asl, oh ya it’s fun tuning at this altitude. Here is my problem, now this is a driver not a race car,

Garrett gt2871 w/t28 flange on CB’s turbo header
Running:
32mm modrings
E tubes / 44 idf’s blow through
.65 pump jets
170 mains
190 air
50 idle

First start up and run yesterday,
My wideband was telling me way rich, idle was 13.8/14.2
First gear 2nd gear no boost in the 12’s and added more power and I could feel it was rich, got on it a little and it was at 9.4/9.8. It did clear up and goes like mad but way to rich.
Remember I’m at 6000 ft.
I was thing putt the stock modrings back on and get rid of the 32mm ones see if that would help without rejetting. Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated.
Some pics, I have been a blower guy now for about 40 years and these turbos are NEW to me, the amount of work involved in this is crazy, a blower would of been so much easier. But I’m here to stay now, the pictures you see of gauge is at idle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.