So...you wanna go turbo?

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
david58

Post by david58 »

Have you checked with flange city? :lol:
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

That one looks similar to the one on my moped. GOOOD GRIEF, what does that go to.
kcnaz

Post by kcnaz »

kcnaz wrote:
scott the viking wrote:I got just what you need right here for that DMAX buddy.
Anyone know where I can get some flanges to adapt this one to my engine?
Offroading vicariously
kcnaz

Post by kcnaz »

I have had that pic for some time and can't remember where I got it, I believe it was somewhere near the end of the of the internet, one link leads to another kinda thing.
Offroading vicariously
DubsMcGee

Post by DubsMcGee »

I bet it goes on the diesel engine of a supertanker.
kcnaz

Post by kcnaz »

This may be the stroker crank eh?
Offroading vicariously
BrockGrimes

Post by BrockGrimes »

If I clearance my case think it'll fit?
And can I run the stock rods with it?
flynhawaiian1

Post by flynhawaiian1 »

Hey Scott, Would this turbo work with a 2110? Single 40 or 48 idf carb setup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbonet ... enameZWDVW

I know I just jumped in here. I haven't even posted my project from samba over here. I just haven't been working on the bug in a long while. I just hop on and check out all the awsome projects going on. I read some of the begining of this thread awhile back but man theres a lot of pages now. I'm hoping to get some time late summer/fall to work on the bug. I just wanted to see if this would work and if it's a good deal. I really want to do a turbo. I will need it to get around the dunes. I wanta dune it not just ride around the dunes :lol:
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

flynhawaiian1, hey no sweat man, lot of things happening.I am not Scott by any means but on the Turbo, I have one (not installed now) with about the same A/R and it made boost a bunch but it took me to 5K to make it.
Last owner claims over 300 hp in a 1915!
The guy had to have a built engine and using nitrous too. And that price to me is too high ($450) for that. But this is just my opinion, I think you can do better.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

I have done a lot of research on Turbos latly and I think a straight T4 is too large for your engine if you want a lot of torque for the Dunes. Like leatherneck said 5K to get the power. In my opinon your done before you get started. You would be better off with a T3/T4 Hybrid and have full boost at 3500 RPM. Your motor will live longer and have a better power range.
mybug001

Fuel addition under boost?

Post by mybug001 »

So I know I just registered but I have read the entire forum for "so you want to turbo" and had a 68 bug with a draw through progressive and IHIrhb5 turbo that worked great several years back.

My Q is now I have a 1600dp and am interested in blowing through the 34pict like Mike did, but w'o the carb hassle of jetting and such.

Would it make sense to use a fuel solenoid connected to an electric solid state fuel pump that was activated only at WOT similar to NOS applications, so that under normal driving conditions, which most people seem to agree upon, the car will run great but when extra fuel is needed under heavy boost, it seems easier to add a fuel solenoid activated jet after the turbo but b4 the carb that only is activated to spray a metered amount under WOT and thereby not creating a LEAN mixture under heavy boost, which I know will blow up the engine and lead to detonation.

Just a thought from somebody who likes the idea of blowing through the 34 pict for everyday driving happiness with the occasional boost of turbo HP.

BTW my previous draw through set up with the progressive, IHI and Facet electric fuel pump worked great. I am ashamed to admit that the intake pipe was actually metal plumbing fixtures purchased from Lowes, read as an "ultimate budget" intake.

Love this thread and all the help from Scott.

Aaron
Leatherneck

Re: Fuel addition under boost?

Post by Leatherneck »

mybug001 wrote:Would it make sense to use a fuel solenoid connected to an electric solid state fuel pump that was activated only at WOT similar to NOS applications, so that under normal driving conditions, which most people seem to agree upon, the car will run great but when extra fuel is needed under heavy boost, it seems easier to add a fuel solenoid activated jet after the turbo but b4 the carb that only is activated to spray a metered amount under WOT and thereby not creating a LEAN mixture under heavy boost, which I know will blow up the engine and lead to detonation.
Aaron
Aaron, welcome to the STF, good to see you here. This is the setup I am using, I have a fuel pump that is out of a FI truck, feeding a boost sensitive fuel regulator, under normal driving it is 2lbs, under boost it is whatever the carb is sucking up..
mybug001

Re: Fuel addition under boost?

Post by mybug001 »

Aaron, welcome to the STF, good to see you here. This is the setup I am using, I have a fuel pump that is out of a FI truck, feeding a boost sensitive fuel regulator, under normal driving it is 2lbs, under boost it is whatever the carb is sucking up..[/quote]

Thanks,

When you say that you are using that setup do you mean exactly what I am saying or just a FPR going to the normal carb inlet.

Do you have a Draw through or Push through?

Sorry for the confusion, you have the "e2000" pump correct? Do you have it going to the carb and the solenoid that is activated at WOT or one or the other and still using the stock fuel pump.?

What I am picturing is this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-Supe ... dZViewItem

or this http://www.holley.com/16050-CNOS.asp

and this http://www.slickcar.com/productdetails. ... uctID=1805
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Crappy pic but here is the pump and reg setup. I have it going from the FI pump to the reg from reg to carb. I also have a line from the Turbo giving the boost signal to the regulator and a return line back to the fuel tank.

Still tweaking the jets but it is running alot better then before.

Aaron, I by far am not the go to guy on Turbos but I don't think what you are talking about will keep up with the turbo. And they are like candy to a kid, addictive once you got boost it is hard not staying in it. See if Seabeebuggy or TurboManx pop in here they have forgot more then I know on this.
Turbo_Manx_Maniac

Post by Turbo_Manx_Maniac »

kcnaz wrote:
kcnaz wrote:
scott the viking wrote:I got just what you need right here for that DMAX buddy.
Anyone know where I can get some flanges to adapt this one to my engine?
Here's a motor that puts those turbos in perspective...and it's only a 10 cylinder. The journals are 38".

I accidentally Googled my Twitter. (And I liked it)