So...you wanna go turbo?

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
mrgizmow

Turbo

Post by mrgizmow »

I don't know where you get the time Scott. Wow, I made it thru the 34 pages of posts and then some. I am doing better at getting up those hills, but not by much. With smaller diameter tires I can pull 60 mph but the pedal is pushed to the floorboard and that is annoying. I have been looking at all the tubo info and have been giving it serious thought. The 1641 with the baby Webers gives me GREAT low end for puttting around the hills but if I use the 6ply 30" knobbies steep pavement is still an embarrassment. Was looking with keen interest at the Schwitzer turbo and thought I could (I hope) make it work with my Weber ICT's. Looked over a couple of times all the posts by the fellow running the Solex PICT but not sure that this is any guarantee for me. I want to keep my lowend, still get reasonable gas milage, I am not interested in impressing anyone, just move up the hill and stay out of most peoples way (60mph) with out the pedal to the floorboard. I still use my heater (J pipe) for at 5000 feet in Winter I get cold. Scott, I've pissed away more than a few seasons trying to get my rig to meet ALL my (modest) needs. Your system/price sounds very fair. Do you think I can make the Weber ICT's work in a straight forward manner? Considering my other posts, are you reasonably confident your system would meet my needs?
Thanks... "Getting up those hills"
scott the viking

Re: Turbo

Post by scott the viking »

mrgizmow wrote:I don't know where you get the time Scott. Wow, I made it thru the 34 pages of posts and then some. I am doing better at getting up those hills, but not by much. With smaller diameter tires I can pull 60 mph but the pedal is pushed to the floorboard and that is annoying. I have been looking at all the tubo info and have been giving it serious thought. The 1641 with the baby Webers gives me GREAT low end for puttting around the hills but if I use the 6ply 30" knobbies steep pavement is still an embarrassment. Was looking with keen interest at the Schwitzer turbo and thought I could (I hope) make it work with my Weber ICT's. Looked over a couple of times all the posts by the fellow running the Solex PICT but not sure that this is any guarantee for me. I want to keep my lowend, still get reasonable gas milage, I am not interested in impressing anyone, just move up the hill and stay out of most peoples way (60mph) with out the pedal to the floorboard. I still use my heater (J pipe) for at 5000 feet in Winter I get cold. Scott, I've pissed away more than a few seasons trying to get my rig to meet ALL my (modest) needs. Your system/price sounds very fair. Do you think I can make the Weber ICT's work in a straight forward manner? Considering my other posts, are you reasonably confident your system would meet my needs?
Thanks... "Getting up those hills"
Well...I can tell you this....the power difference on your existing engine would be MASSIVE. As a matter of fact...I would say that you would be backing out of the throttle on the hills rather than looking for more. The only thing that concerns me is the little Weber's. I personally have never done a set up for pressure. I have no doubt that it COULD be done....what I wonder about is the "drivabilty" in other words....how it would work when not under full throttle and boost....Might be great...might be horrid. So...I am forced to give you the "if I were you" statement.....
If I were you.....I would sell your small Weber's...and get one single, center mount Weber IDF 40 or a Dellorto DRLA 40 and run pressure to it. The reason I suggest this...is that it has been done (A LOT) with good success. If you want to take the chance with your current carbs...that's cool...But it's not something I can help you with too much.
mrgizmow

Turbo

Post by mrgizmow »

Appreciate the prompt reply. I would rather save time and frustration than a few bucks. This has been a weekend of reflection and research. I had a turbo on my 760 Volvo wagen and it was a very nice running car. Sometimes when I popped the hood in the evening (for whatever reason) I would see that thing glowing. As much as I am intriqued with the turbo, I don't need or have the desire for massive amounts of horsepower. The thought of driving through the woods with a glowing piece of metal hanging onto the back of the car is kind of scary. I don't want to move this great string of posts in another direction, buuuut, since it seems to be about the same (?) amount of money, do you think starting with fuel injection would give me what I need........ Thanks for all your time.
Gerry
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

mrgizmow, let me tell you from a former NA engine user, even with the turbo not spooling the engine runs better/stronger. I blew off my hose from turbo to carb hat and I thought I lost a cyl. (Scott could that be it?) I stopped to see what happened, saw the hose off put it back on and power was there again. As far as glowing red in the woods, unless you are racing or some other competitive type of driving you will not be using the boost as you would in the open driving up hills passing cars etc. If you want to fix your problem and be done with it for good, go TURBO. FI or larger carbs etc. is just feeding more fuel to the same system. I just know it works.
The Wild Kids

Post by The Wild Kids »

You guys are killing me with the turbo's. I want one so BADLY!

One day soon I will get me a turbo.

The Wild Kids
gdando

Post by gdando »

Scott,
Did you have an opportunity to review my pm from 12 Nov?

Very respectfully,
Gene
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Scott, Check your PMs
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

If I read this entire post I would be a expert. just curious though, my turbo on FUMMER only boosts on hills or under load. It lays pretty quiet then kicks in about 10 psi. Why is it making boost under load. I thought it was based on exhaust gas flow. I know there has got to be a simple answer to this as others with the same setup say the same.
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

under load you are dumping a lot more fuel in the engine and it is making more heat that turns the turbo. It is about heat.

www.BigMikesGunAndAmmo.com
Thomas Jefferson said It may be necessary for a country to have a revolution every 200 years to right the wrongs of a Government.
Got Lead?
scott the viking

Odyknuck wrote:Scott, Check your PMs
I "think" I am not getting a lot of my PM's. I do get quite a few...but every now and then I have guys ask me about a PM they sent me that I never answered....I go look for it...and just can't find it. So everyone keep that in mind...I'm not ignoring you...I just don't think I got it.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Ok, Can you give me a call on rebuilding my Turbo. 216-695-0733
Thanks Steve
david58

Post by david58 »

What about propane enrichment under boost on a draw thru turbo?
scott the viking

David58bug wrote:What about propane enrichment under boost on a draw thru turbo?
It works...but there are better and safer ways in my opinion.

Sorry it took me so long to get to all your PM's...I think I finally got to them all.
I have been...(and might be for a little while)..slightly unavailable. I am dealing with some family matters...so I'm not exactly "on the ball" lately.

Steve...I will call you soon...Sorry for the delay.
DonT

Post by DonT »

scott the viking wrote:I am dealing with some family matters...
Sorry to hear that, hope all goes well.
2gr8dgs

Post by 2gr8dgs »

Scott, on page 1 you list some turbo's that work better for 1835 & below, & 1915 &up. I've got a 1915, but am running stock size valves w/no porting. does that matter on turbo size? also, I have a single dell 36 drla with some bigger vents, on this engine, I know you recommended 40/44 idf's & 40/45 drla's, but can this carb be used effectively as well? I'm sorry if you have already answered these ? I'm trying to catch up on this thread.