So...you wanna go turbo?

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
turboblue

Post by turboblue »

I see it has straight cut gears too, good choice............ 8)
Gary

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy
2013 Polaris Ranger 4x4
My Website
Shop Facebook Page
Olson

Post by Olson »

Just wanted to say thanks to the poster of this tread for putting such an informative source up for everyone to share.

I've been wanting to turbo my sedan for a while now and this helped me dispel many of the myths that had previously stopped me from attempting it.

Great thread, thanks! 8)
gerico

Post by gerico »

Scott,

Great thread. Can you provide a few specific recommendations?

Engine specs: 2276 w/ Engle 120 cam, 9.1 CR w/ total seal 2nd rings, 40x35 DRD heads, and 40 dells. Daily driver street car, 91 octane Calif gas.

Engine is fairly fresh and I don't want to completely disassemble it so will keep the 120 cam even though it's not optimal for a turbo. I'll blow through the 40 dells I have. I'm looking for 200-220hp (have 160 @ 6000 now) but don't want a setup that requires constant tinkering after it's dialed in. Is this a realistic goal for this engine?

What size/type turbo for fast throttle response with this displacement and boost level? What should I drop the CR to or can I keep the 9.1? What size modulator rings for this setup?

When I get ready to do this I would like to use your header and mod rings...maybe a few other bits and pieces.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Well guys it really saddens me to do this but Scott the Viking has not been around to take care of this thread so I am going to let it go with the herd. Hopefully Scott will be back from down by the river and we can stick it back up where it belongs. Thanks especially to Scott and everybody elese who has contributed to it.

Leatherneck
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

To the top for the NOOBS :D
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Great thread.....sticky?! :D
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

ahhh, the good old days.....
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
fusername

Post by fusername »

not the same without that guy...
I wanna turbo my car, but have some super specific questions for a master, anyone got one of those lying around?
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

To the top
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Bigvwhead

Post by Bigvwhead »

Hey so where does some one get a couple of mod rings for a single IDF44?
DonT

Post by DonT »

Bigvwhead wrote:Hey so where does some one get a couple of mod rings for a single IDF44?
CB Performance is a good source for turbo parts.
gerico

Post by gerico »

CB Performance carries Turbo Emulsion Tubes and turbo gasket kits but not mod rings. Don't know where to get mod rings...does anyone on this forum know where to get them?
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

gerico wrote:CB Performance carries Turbo Emulsion Tubes and turbo gasket kits but not mod rings. Don't know where to get mod rings...does anyone on this forum know where to get them?
CB does have mod rings. so does davis racing I believe , ask Turbo blue
www.BigMikesGunAndAmmo.com
Thomas Jefferson said It may be necessary for a country to have a revolution every 200 years to right the wrongs of a Government.
Got Lead?
Bigvwhead

Post by Bigvwhead »

Thanks guy's, I called CB and talked to Pat and he said they do have them but no part # they are 33mm and coast $13.95ea. so i'll order a set on friday as well Turbo Emulsion Tubes, turbo hat & gaskets. :lol:
72bajaben

Post by 72bajaben »

So what happened to Scott? I feel like there is soo much more to this turbo thing....

And how many times can you read 38 pages before you just have more and more questions?

Plus i was really hoping that the FI turbo question would come back up...because that is what im planning down the road for my T4.
Semper Fidelis!
Build Thread