Ol'fogasaurus black buggy

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

Re: Ol'fogasaurus black buggy

Post by Leatherneck »

Don't hurt yourself Lee, you have time to finish at a slower pace.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Always playing with ideas is my head. Another option which I think I may like better.
IMG_1313 copy.jpg
If needed I could add a tube along the floor edge against the body lift to double up and take some potential loading off the floor but not necessary I think; overkill but something else to consider.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Looks like I have to wait another week before heavy lifting and manuring :roll: :wink: things around so I got looking at the front cage hoop and where is will be.
IMG_1321 copy.jpg
The pan and the buggy are somewhat aligned in this pix with the front cross piece of the pan slightly forward of the body's cross flange. Add to that a camera's trick with distance :roll: .

I highlighted the cowl's forward slant plus under the fenders odd trick. In this area the inner body half is inset for (I think) the windshield mounting which I am not going to use. Rather than the mounting flange facing towards the inside, in the area between the two while tape pieces the mounting flange faces outboard. I damaged the flange when I tried to remove the body from the pan by myself but no big deal.

It is looking like the hoop is going to be inset a bit more than I was planning on but I think it will be OK.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

'Member the old saying that there is two sides to every argument? :roll: (tongue-in-cheek) Well... in this case it is true.

I said I had damaged the driver's side of the buggy mounting flange when I tried to put the body back up on the "gurney" by myself. Well.... the other side wasn't damaged at all! ( :D snicker)
IMG_1323 copy.jpg
This is the other side, I measured the distance between holes on the body lift and the distance is ~8" depending on just where the holes were (in this case by the bend in the pan by the forward edge of a bug's door. Also, in this glass body this area, as I remember, did not have a mounting flange where you see it now; I put it (them) in 'cause I didn't know any better.

This is getting more interesting as I get farther into it.

Lee

Fun games in the garage!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Fun and games is how we get along.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Has anybody seen a ball bearing out of a brand new Bus CV joint go rolling by in the last half an hour :roll: ?

I think I learned a lesson today which is when removing the bolts on a CV joint jack the trailing arm up a bit to make sure that the CV joints are free and not over extended. The outer one in this case wasn't (for some reason?) and it kept spitting out ball bearings. I heard the sneaky little bugger fall and roll away then hit a piece of "tin" but even after tearing the place apart and laying down on the floor with a flash light it remains hidden.

Got tired after trying to fix things after they had been removes but will look for it again after I rest. 7 weeks without doing much sure takes it out of you.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

After the 4th trip out and changing to another type of flashlight with LED lighting I finally found it... just where is sounded like it went.

I'll see what tomorrow brings as to what I will do. I've kind of overdone things so I need to see if I really overdid it.

Lee
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

When something drops I always look where it shouldn’t of gone.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Leatherneck wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:17 am When something drops I always look where it shouldn’t of gone.
I latterly cleaned my side of the garage 4 times. It ended up looking like a dust bunny under my lathe. The "ting" I heard was when it was when it hit a sheet of metal I have stored behind the lathe but it still looked like lathe scrap with the way the grease had picked up things. The small LED light found a small shiny/reflective spot on the bearing which is how I ended up spotting it. I reached under with one of those small pencil dia. magnets that have extendable handles (so handy to have) in order to "snag" it out.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I will try to get back to business after I get caught up on things I couldn't do around the house. Things like yesterday the stepdaughter's food grinder upper had jammed, then started to leak and drip down the power cord; today's task. Yesterday it was the part of the neighbor's fence had dissolved (old age rot) to the point where it was falling into our yard. I had to supervise that even though I was not allowed to touch :lol: (it was he and his two sons project)

Right now I am trying to get the trans back out w/o damaging the plumbing for the hydraulic clutch. I am going to make a small dolly for it to sit on so I can move the trans around to easily store it under the body. Tight access under the body is the main reason for making the dolly.

The wife also want's me to get rid of stuff so the V8 that has been sitting covered up and it's accompanying running gear is being looked at. Had plans for it but getting too old for another project. I have to free the engine so it rotates. Been sitting since the mid-90s. All these project and minimal time to work on them.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Had some down time after surgery so I did some sketching of what I think the buggy is going to look like.
Blacke dune buggy sketch1 copy.jpg
Just a rough sketch and I think the right front fender might be a bit out of what but this should give and idea of where I am sitting (pun not intended) this now.

Lee
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

You’re quite the artist Lee.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Thanks 'Pile. I am more of a cartoonist than an artist but I try. I didn't realize that the sketch pad would print out so blotchy but the idea is there.

Did some work on the buggy today; got the other drive axle out w/o the problems of the driver's side axle. I jacked the side I did up today so to relieve any potential extra loading on the CV. Seemed to work.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

IMG_1330 copy.jpg
IMG_1331 copy.jpg
I spent a couple of hours this morning fighting with the trailing arms. The driver's side was a no big deal but the passenger side took a lot of time and work to get it apart. As you can see the fit in the storage cart isn't bad. I think I will make a cross-piece for the handle to store the bolt, hoses and other fittings.
IMG_1332 copy.jpg
It also stores away nice and neat. The moving it around with the pivot wheels in the rear does the job better than nice.

I assembled the other cart getting it ready to drop the tranny onto. The cart measures ~25" from the front to the cross-bar for the handle. The trans I have measures almost the same but the bell would have to be up by the handle.

I currently think that the two carts are worth the $20 a piece. I think wheels along would eat up at least most of a $20 and I don't have enough scrap laying around to make both carts so up to the salvage yard with $$$.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Got back out to the garage today just as it started to rain... for about 5 minutes. Sounded more like a spring rain than a fall rain. :roll:
IMG_1334 copy.jpg
IMG_1335 copy.jpg
I got the trans out but darn near ruined myself when I: first) forgot to take the front trans mount bolts off then 2) forgot to disconnect the shifter. The trans get heavy after a while. :oops:
IMG_1336 copy.jpg
All stored away OK but the handle on the new cart is about a 1/8th of an inch taller (tolerance or intolerance... not sure which :twisted: . :lol:
IMG_1337 copy.jpg
I started to put the rotisserie handle on the trans/motor mount when it suddenly :idea: I can't do that as there is a bunch of stuff for the truss bar mounts to make and to permanently attach to the mount; this is before I can put the trans mount back on the pan to make/fit the fuel tank mounts.

Lee