Ol'fogasaurus black buggy

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Ol'fogasaurus black buggy

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

IMG_1058 copy.jpg
Today when I got up it was 24° out and, as usual for this time of the year, it was 52° in the garage w/the air being heavily damp. Can't spend too much time in there without gloves and you can't do close work with 500# gloves on I have found out the hard way.

Yesterday I had cut two chunks of 1 X 2 rectangular tube to length, then went back inside. Later I came back out and sprayed bluing on the edges then went in the house to read and get warm again. Came back several hours later and the bluing had somewhat dried so I set my combination square to what I thought was a quarter of an inch then used it to make a pair of cut lines from each side of the 1" side of the tube; I removed about a quarter of an inch but have not measured the scrap either. I did the same to the other side of the tube then repeated the process on the other mount.

Today I clamped one of the tubes in the vice then started cutting down the lines from each side of the tube then repeated it on the other side (I hope that makes sense but you can see from the pix what I am talking about). Both tubes have now been cut but I did make a helpful mistake in measuring. As hard as I tried the cuts were pretty straight, not perfect, but pretty straight but the flanges now are still too wide to give me the 1/2" tubes I want.

Tomorrow I will remark the flanges then grind down to the marks. This is an easier way for me to control things (I don't have a mill bit to allow me to machine them). I need to get the edges flat, no bulges, and remove about an 1/8th of an inch. I will then make closeout pieces for the open ends which will give more strength to the spacers, then I can drill the holes for mounting onto the pan. My fanny is big and heavy so the additional strength will be needed :twisted: .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The question of "why go to all the work", there are several reasons:

1: Potential weight (not much but some. On the sand you want to be as light and strong as you can... up to a point that is :wink: )

2: Trying to see if I can do it.

3: Trying to get rid of some scrap I (my wife is complaining about) have getting in the way.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Miracles will never cease!

Got the two spacers remarked then, the with a combination of a 4 1/2" flap disc and a belt sander with 80 grit paper in it, I got the two stacks flat and mated together. I wanted .50 but I quit at one being .556 and the other being at .557. I pressed my luck that I didn't get hurt and figured it was close enough.

I placed the two pairs under the cross-mount for the seat and no tippy-tippy. Next comes beveling the very flush mating sides for welding, closing out the ends then drilling the through mounting holes. I think I am still going to weld them to the seat mount cross-pieces. After reading what Marc (where is he) said about the VW memo about doublers under the pan to further support the seat tracks I will do that.

Lee

By-the-way, HF now sells 4" X 36" sanding belts that are marked to work with soft metals.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

Keep going sir! I hope to be as active as you when/if I get your age.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Thanks Herb, I am sure you will make it to my age as long as you don't move from inside of your nuclear bomb shelter :twisted: . (no insult intended)
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

IMG_1059 copy.jpg
It is cold out but I did get out to the garage and got the first two spacers welded together.

I cleaned off the bluing and deburred the inside and outside and out, then beveled the seam areas of both halves then weld them together. I had inserted a 3/8" piece of flat stock between the two halves then clamped the assembly into the vice then welded and ground the welds smoother. Not perfect but only another anal person like me would notice!

I had to drive the spacer block out of the assembly but they ended up both very close to each other dimension wise. One measures 0.556 and the other measure 0.559 so not too bad for an amature. I have decided not to put the end caps on as I will still be able to blow and salty sand out this way where if they were closed out and some nasty stuff got in the bolt hole nasty could happen (heavy on could).

If you notice there is a small arc on one of the spacers, that is where the welded seam is. I put the other one in the vice with a thick backer to the other side so it would bend then added a bit of force to the vice. It did flatten the arc out a bit but you have to be careful of putting too much pressure on the seam.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

It snowed for a bout an hour this am but since then the sun has come out and the snow gone now but still in the '30.

I did get to the garage twice today before I got too cold and had to come in and get warm. I had a bracket in one of the drawer in my work area break so I have to figure how to make a new part for that.

She second time was to drill holes in the two spacers. when I was out for the first go around in the garage I did spray on some bluing on the mount side of the spacer so I could do a drill through on the spacer. I then slid them under the seat mounts and using a scribe I located the holes then priceeded to pre-drill the hole then actually drill through the. It was kind of funny as for some reason the rear holes on the outboard cross-piece was a drill size smaller. Once I figure that one out and sharpened the drill bit everything came out OK.
IMG_1060 copy.jpg
This is the front hole (singular hole) with a short bolt in the hole but things do align up correctly (the bolt is for the inside and is the right length as I remember). Notice the location of the turning brake assembly on the tunnel. That is where I think the handle assembly will be attached (a new mount made for the handles). I'm not sure if I am going to make the mounts for the turning brake assy mounted on a piece of flat stock (and fill the e-brake hole) or make the units separate. (the red thing on the floor is an angle magnet I forgot remove before taking the pictures)
IMG_1061 copy.jpg
This shows the location I think I can use for the cylinders for the turning brakes. Remote from the handles but open to brake line attachment and out of the way of the seats in the its most position.

The passenger seat will not have a track because I don't want my side vision restricted by a body/head blocking my view. I will find my position then locate the passenger seat even or slightly behind it. I have had a couple of close calls on the road when suddenly my wife bends forward blocking my side mirrors as I am in the middle of chaning lanes or someone is playing bad driver games on the freeway. Had a couple of close ones on the dunes when my side vision was blocked and someone suddenly comes out of a trail at high speeds and not looking where they are going (usually kids).

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I didn't check the temperature when I went out to the garage today but when I went out to get the newspaper I thought it was coldbut when I looked at the grass I wondered if there was a slight wind but it was dead calm out. I think the grass was shivering! :roll: :lol:
IMG_1062 copy.jpg
While it doesn't seem like a lot I got the two spacers cleaned off and the ends of the seat track mounts cleaned off then welded the spacers to them. It was very awkward to do as most of the sliding stuff had to be kept in place.
IMG_1063 copy.jpg
When I temporally tied the assembly to the floor there was a slight warp in there but it pulled out very easily. The sliding mechanism works very smoothly.

When I was finished I checked the temperature and it was 50° in the garage.

Lee
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Low in the teens and high in the low 40s here. Snow to the south, but none here.
I don't want my side vision restricted by a body/head blocking my view. I will find my position then locate the passenger seat even or slightly behind it. I have had a couple of close calls on the road when suddenly my wife bends forward blocking my side mirrors as I am in the middle of chaning lanes or someone is playing bad driver games on the freeway.
YEAH!!!!! A pet peeve of mine. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
My wife is well practiced at that maneuver.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Class 11 streeter

Post by Class 11 streeter »

Yep my car said it was 20 deg outside this morning. So done enjoying winter! Buggy is comming along nice fog!
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

We had to do out this afternoon to get a new battery for my wife's fob in order to drive one of the vehicles. The sun was kind of out in the light grey sky when we got home but there were small snowflakes that would suddenly appear at around the 6' to 10' level then fall a bit before they disappeared. Only seen that happen once before and that was back in the mid-60s; it was 8°out that day not the high 20s to low 30s as it was today. Weird!

Thanks for the compliment.

Lee
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Low of 40 and high of 60 today. San Diego sure Is nice.
It did snow in our local mountains though. I woke up yesterday to a shovelfull of snow on the hood of a truck from a late night run my friends did up to the mountains. Gave me a big of snow from their adventure

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

It was 23° this am. We get this kind of temps about once or twice a year but usually not too much below freezing. Atlanta gets more rain than we do here on the ocean side of the state (left of the Cascade Mts.) but we do get more grey days and more consecutive runs of gray days. One of the reasons they have those "sun rooms" for those who can't take all the grey w/o getting depressed.

Going to try to get out to the garage to do some work today but not sure yet. Too much else going on.

As I write it is 47° in the garage right now and the furnace, in there, is "going like stink" and our cat is laying on one of the floor registers blocking it. (http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/like+stink)

Lee
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

Sleet today..... worked until noon and headed home.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I started working on the forming of the saddle mount piece today. I got everything cleaned up and started to mark up the DOM tube only to finally realize that it isn't really that round allowing me to find the center line perpendicular on the other side. There are other ways to do it but right now it is too cold at 47°/48° in the garage. :roll:

I was using a circle center finder to mark both surface edges which, while it worked, when I double check going the other direction the marks were more than a 1/16th off. I tried the same thing by marking from both ends but the same off-set happened.

I would like to be a bit closer than that; not perfect, but closer.

Lee