'73 Turbobaja Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.

Re: '73 Turbobaja Build

Post by 560 »

:mrgreen: Great!!!

Mike
Jackpot motorsports
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

Yep, ended up taking a job as Lead Tech for a shop up here called North Westy. We mostly build custom Vanagons, swap in Subaru or TDI VW engines, do 2wd to Syncro 4wd conversions, Westy pop top conversions, heater/fridge/etc. upgrades. It's a big change from my last 16 years of professional wrenching, more along the lines of what I enjoy doing after work and on the weekends. I even bought an '89 Vanagon "Blue Star" to do some upgrades on and serve as a more functional camping vehicle than the baja or Bronco. New page in life, exciting, different, little scary but might lead to good things.
Karl

DON'T QUIT
Iguana

Post by Iguana »

turbobaja wrote:Yep, ended up taking a job as Lead Tech for a shop up here called North Westy. We mostly build custom Vanagons, swap in Subaru or TDI VW engines, do 2wd to Syncro 4wd conversions, Westy pop top conversions, heater/fridge/etc. upgrades. It's a big change from my last 16 years of professional wrenching, more along the lines of what I enjoy doing after work and on the weekends. I even bought an '89 Vanagon "Blue Star" to do some upgrades on and serve as a more functional camping vehicle than the baja or Bronco. New page in life, exciting, different, little scary but might lead to good things.
Sweet you have to love the T3's for functional camping vehicles. Slap in a Subaru 5 Speed and Engine and you have it the way they should have come from factory.
Buy a Kit, Build a Dream
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

Congratulations on the job, sounds like a lot of fun!
TimS

Post by TimS »

That sounds like a fun job. Congrats!!
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.

Post by 560 »

WOW, complete change for ya. As long as you are happy, learning and able to pay the bills I say great for you.

Mike
Jackpot motorsports
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

Congratulations!
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

You should share about the Vanagon Blue Star over in the bus barn, interestingly enough I just ordered some SS brake lines from North Westy. I hope you are having fun working in the VW community.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

Move over Baja, this Van is taking over :shock:

I've moved on from the North Westy Van shop, but definitely have myself a "perminant" reminder of the time I spent working there. I bought this Van from the shop owner halfway through my very first day on the job. It turns out it's WAY more of a basket case than it appeared to be, but I'm slowly making something of it.

The baja still sees plenty of miles, almost 11K on the odo. Just about 2 years now on a 240 wheel HP tune. Instead of buying a silly Van, I WAS going to completely rebuild the 2110 in the baja (3rd time) with a milder camshaft/heads/intake/turbo and regear 1st and 2nd to make this animal more off-road-able. Somehow I spent 3 times what that would have cost and I'm putting a 200hp Subaru engine in an '89 Vanagon instead.

Karl

DON'T QUIT
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Getting close to time to play isn't it?
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

turbobaja wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:06 pm Move over Baja, this Van is taking over :shock:

I've moved on from the North Westy Van shop, but definitely have myself a "perminant" reminder of the time I spent working there. I bought this Van from the shop owner halfway through my very first day on the job. It turns out it's WAY more of a basket case than it appeared to be, but I'm slowly making something of it.

The baja still sees plenty of miles, almost 11K on the odo. Just about 2 years now on a 240 wheel HP tune. Instead of buying a silly Van, I WAS going to completely rebuild the 2110 in the baja (3rd time) with a milder camshaft/heads/intake/turbo and regear 1st and 2nd to make this animal more off-road-able. Somehow I spent 3 times what that would have cost and I'm putting a 200hp Subaru engine in an '89 Vanagon instead.

You have got to catch us up, what have you been up to?
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

Leatherneck wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:14 pmYou have got to catch us up, what have you been up to?
Yep! It's been a while. The Baja has been sitting WAY too much in recent years. I've driven it to work a few times, a few shows and gatherings and that's about it. It's like a year and a half overdue for an oil change, I should kick my own butt...

We did manage our 4th Best In Show award, still the only Baja I've seen "win" a VW show, lol. I was NOT expecting it that day. This was the 7th annual Dubfest show, my first show win was their first show in '12. I bring it every year.

Also, we got "Best ride on BJGs" at the local Good Guys car show. First non-VW show we participated in and had over 2,500 vehicles there over 3 days. Had a cool parade at the end for awards, it was all fancy.

THIS thing, has been getting all the love lately.

Karl

DON'T QUIT
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Ya need to take her out and blow out the cobwebs.