NQ JQKE

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
david58

Re: NQ JQKE

Post by david58 »

Lew wrote:David, how bout adding a piece of sheet metal, and trimming down the windshield. :)
SANY0652.jpg
Click on the picture to enlarge. I like this idea! :)
The windshield is at the wrong angle too much resistance, I like the big windshield I just need to put a nose on the car and angle the windshield into it. Just short right now on materials and mulla.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
david58

Post by david58 »

Imagine something like this with a long slope in the windshield. I borrowed a pic of BAJA-IT car.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Big tires, little tires, big tires, baja, rail, turnsignal as idiot/dome light, big bay window... I'm so confused. Looks like a fun ride.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

david58 wrote:Imagine something like this with a long slope in the windshield. I borrowed a pic of BAJA-IT car.
I see no reason why a skillful person like you could not do this. Go for it.

Lee
david58

Post by david58 »

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

This might be a little late, but where the sheet metal comes up the join with the windshield, could you make a bend there to; 1) add stiffening and 2) support the windshield at an easier angle to make the mount fit more naturally (no flexing of the windshield or the sheet metal). That bend would end up both stiffening and supporting both the sheet metal and the Lexan.

Your design looks pretty good so far, keep up the good work Mr. bodyman.

Lee
david58

Post by david58 »

Ol'fogasaurus there is a bend in there. :D Might not be too visible in those pics try these. I also changed out the tires 33 in back 30 9.50 15 in front. Fixing to go home and see how it does.

This morning I lost a air cleaner filter, the top, and thru bolt on the left side carb. What a screwed up design, a nut was barely tacked on the bracket that bolts onto the carb. :shock: :roll: I still have the base but missing everything else. The best design would have been a bolt thru the bracket with a nut on top synched down tight and welded. Off to find a filter so I can make a new top. :roll: At least it didn't have a nut on the bottom for the piston to suck into the combustion chamber.

bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

air filters really aren't necessary...

and put a wing on it and you can go sprint car racing..

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Yep, the bends are obvious in the later pictures. Now, ya got to start stiffening in the other direction. :) I am curious to see the final skinned toy will look like. Good to see someone change direction with the confidence of the original build. My kudos David!

Lee
david58

Post by david58 »

What is most amazing is that we didn't cut or trim the windshield or the metal for the nose, and there are 2 muffler clamps and 5 self tapping screws holding it all together.
nilza

Post by nilza »

now taking bets on whether the baja body ever goes back on! :mrgreen:

good work on the nose actually, looks more complete this way
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

How does that effect the wind and noise?
david58

Post by david58 »

I have very little change in the noise, the noise isn't a issue with the bug body off. I have more way more wind coming in now from below the windshield, because there is a 4 inch by 30 inch gap between the firewall and where the nose meets the windshield. I am out of material. It took changing the tires to really notice a change in 4th gear. The 35's are just too much for a stock 1600 even with redux although first, second, and third work great. I just wish the front tires were taller by a couple inches, and maybe a little narrower also. There is a huge difference in the 33's and 35's when you see them side by side. Same way with the 33's and 30 9.50's
CopperBaja

Post by CopperBaja »

Really looks like some quality work David. You have to be stoked to get it out and drive it! Especially with summer rolling in. One of a kind transmorfer baja rail. :D

If GA ever changes their laws, you can toss the body on.
Wonder how many days (or hours) it would take to get pulled over here, if you titled a baja bug, then took the body off and drove it as a rail... :?
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
Hedrock

Post by Hedrock »

CopperBaja wrote:Really looks like some quality work David. You have to be stoked to get it out and drive it! Especially with summer rolling in. One of a kind transmorfer baja rail. :D

If GA ever changes their laws, you can toss the body on.
Wonder how many days (or hours) it would take to get pulled over here, if you titled a baja bug, then took the body off and drove it as a rail... :?
I know that where I live it would probably take years unless you were doing something real STUPID :lol:
Collecting parts again... No I'm not going to say why!