evernon's Baja Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.

Moderators: Leatherneck, rickosuave1987

evernon

Re: evernon's Baja Build

Post by evernon » Sun May 20, 2018 9:14 pm

Still waiting for the custom order 7100 shocks! Bilstein apparently takes their time when you purchase custom valving...

All the hook & pin mods are done but I am struggling with re-inserting the torsion springs. On the lower springset, I have all springs but two inserted but the last two are very stubborn. Has anyone come up with a trick for aligning the springs with the center section?

Thanks

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Sun May 20, 2018 9:35 pm

This is the advice I have been give by several unrelated sources:

Pull the spring packs out and take a nylon wire tie and tie the whole stack together tightly, but not too lightly, a few inches back from the opposite end you are feeding it from; then cut off the tail. Insert the stack back in and once you get it through the center the square that square will push the tie back as you finish threading the stack through. This should work with no problems unless you goof and feed the stack in upside down :twisted: .

Too simple for the average or above average smarty pants to figure out :roll: :lol: ) When, if ever you pull the stack back out the nylon tie will either come out with it or drop off if you pull the stack from the other side of where you originally fed it in. Either way it is of no big deal.

Works well when you are using a center adjuster too.

Lee

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Sun May 20, 2018 9:38 pm

This is the advice I have been give by several unrelated sources:

Pull the spring packs out and take a nylon wire tie and tie the whole stack together tightly, but not too tightly, a few inches back from the opposite end you are feeding it from; then cut off the tail. All you want to do it keep the stack tight together and in a square.

Insert the stack back in and once you get it through the center the square that square will push the nylon tie back (as long as you didn't get it too tight) as you finish threading the stack through. This should work with no problems unless you goof and feed the stack in upside down :twisted: .

Too simple for the average or above average smarty pants to figure out :roll: :lol: ) When, if ever you pull the stack back out the nylon tie will either come out with it or drop off if you pull the stack from the other side of where you originally fed it in. Either way it is of no big deal.

Works well when you are using a center adjuster too.

Lee

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Mon May 21, 2018 11:55 am

This post did not belong here. Sorry!
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Mon May 21, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT » Mon May 21, 2018 4:53 pm

evernon wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:14 pm
Has anyone come up with a trick for aligning the springs with the center section?

Thanks
A rubber band wound around the leaves works good to hold them together to feed them through the center.
Also works good to hold the leaves together if needed to put the arms on.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing

dustymojave

Post by dustymojave » Tue May 22, 2018 6:43 pm

I've also seen bailing wire used by real old school folks.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills!, but then...So does OLD AGE!!
A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech Inspection
MDR / MORE / Glen Helen BajaCup Challenge
AKA: MojaveRacer208
'58 Baja with 815K Miles and counting

dustymojave

Post by dustymojave » Tue May 22, 2018 6:48 pm

I like to put a zip tie on each end before trying to install the trailing arms also.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills!, but then...So does OLD AGE!!
A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech Inspection
MDR / MORE / Glen Helen BajaCup Challenge
AKA: MojaveRacer208
'58 Baja with 815K Miles and counting