Motorbreath53's Baja... is still ALIVE

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
motorbreath53

Motorbreath53's Baja... is still ALIVE

Post by motorbreath53 »

Hello Gentlemen... recognize a bunch of you from theSamba...

CopperBaja (aka "Its not cool unless its lifted two notches" Jeff) told me that you guys were a lot more fun... and that I would have no friends unless I posted here instead of thesamba.....

Figure I should introduce the car first... since she is way more important in this forum than I am.... plus she looks better in pictures...

So here's the current baja... Gunna get it desert drivable for now in its current state... but over the next couple years i'll collect the parts to finish my ecotec conversion, along with an A-arm front 6x6(ish) rear with coil-overs and bypass shocks at each corner.

Started here..(this is in the guy I bought it from's driveway... his name is Dan aka DTMracing on thesamba) Basically everything was stock, less motor...

...and here are some "along the way" shots along with a couple of the most current pics...

rear cage and 33gallon cell

front bulkhead (whole center section un-bolts (its all temporary really as the whole front end will eventually be hacked off and redone for the A-arm stuff...)

Front bumper... (those shocks have since been re-located to a new owner)

Like I said... there is a 2.2 Ecotec in storage... but no funds to allow the purchase of the required 091 rebuild, adapter, and ECU...

So this 1600dp will do for now... running good thanks to a generous carb donation by CopperBaja

Overhead console... yea.. I know... pretty goofball...... but I smile every time I get to fire the car up....

Dash in progress...(crappy pic sorry...) Try to replace this pic with a good one tommorow... with some more progress of course....

Lightbar.... there is no way that 1600 is going to outrun my lighting system... (course' i'm not sure the alternator will be able to hang.... but we'll see...
Oh! and its adjustable... also unneccessary and goofball... but it also makes me smile...

Well...
thats her... seats that cost damn near double what I paid for the car..... weak ass suspension... unneccessary accessories... a rubberband engine and smurf colored paint...

still... i'm having a blast, and can't wait to get it dirty.
Last edited by motorbreath53 on Sat May 12, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 10 times in total.
vw505

Post by vw505 »

cool, good to see you over here.
It's what you learn after you know every thing that counts.
petew

Post by petew »

I might be laughing at you, but I'm laughing with you too. Noice car. And you're having fun. That's what it's all about...[not the hokey pokey] :wink:
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

i like the color co-ordinated valve covers......

looks like you have some fab skillz... tell us about the 'lectric actuator on the lightbar.
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
namelesswonder

Post by namelesswonder »

I like the skull and crossbones :) Looks spiffy!
Franz the Thunder Pumpkin!
Permanent member of the "Baja may not be running" club
kcnaz

Post by kcnaz »

Welcome aboard, I like the metal work on the front fire wall, do you have any better pictures of the dash?
Offroading vicariously
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Welcome to the REAL off road forum... now get off the computer and get that thing drivable!!!
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
motorbreath53

Post by motorbreath53 »

bajaherbie wrote:i like the color co-ordinated valve covers......
looks like you have some fab skillz... tell us about the 'lectric actuator on the lightbar.
Valve covers came on a motor I bought seperate from the car... all the tin was smurf blue... most of it has been phased out....they are slated to be painted the same color as the shroud... just didn't get around to it yet...

The electric actuator is a lift motor from the power seat of a ford mustang. Really, there are better choices (there are really neat electronic actuators available on ebay that have a longer throw...better water proofing etc.... but they are around $100 each... Those are the ones you might have seen on the McMillen's Supercrew Prerunner truck.....

but, I had two of these things sitting around with wiring, switch, and the dampener after putting my daily driver/gofast on a diet..... So since it didn't cost me anything extra to do it.... what the hell right?

I'm heading out to work on the dash right now. Hoping to get all the mounting tabs tacked in... and some gauge holes drilled today... so i'll work on some better pics as I go. I think its going to come out cool though.... or at least different?

and Skid... thanks for the tough love.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Very nice and some very clean, well thought out work has been done. I do like the mounts for the turning brakes. Never seen the mount of them tackled that way before. The same with the fuel fill on top of the roof. Both make sense to me.

The console on the roof... why not as long as it doesn't come down. Very clean installation too. the dash is pretty nice looking too. A lot of thought has gone into it also.

You passed :D , welcome to the site. :wink:
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
rickosuave1987

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Who keeps inviting all these yahoos over here? Geez...

Welcome.

No get back to work :lol:
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
gratednipple

Post by gratednipple »

Yeah. The dash and metal work in front is nice. More pics of the dash.
motorbreath53

Post by motorbreath53 »

namelesswonder wrote:I like the skull and crossbones :) Looks spiffy!

I like the skull too...i've caught some poop for it.... but I like it too... I'll have to post up some pics of the job I did on my womerns quad... If you like the skull on the car, you'd definately appreciate the quad... (if you like pink that is... :roll: )

Thanks for the atta boys on the sheet metal guys... Its my first effort at this stuff... and honestly its more of a good from far look... but what the hell... its an offroad car, and its good practice.

The dash is coming along... i'll have some cool pics of it up tonight.

,..... and just who are you calling yahoo Ricko..... ya som' bitch. I know where your new body is sitting... and don't think i'm beyond going down there tonight to paint it pink with the lyrics to "Its Raining Men" on the drivers door.......
rickosuave1987

Post by rickosuave1987 »

motorbreath53 wrote: ,..... and just who are you calling yahoo Ricko..... ya som' bitch. I know where your new body is sitting... and don't think i'm beyond going down there tonight to paint it pink with the lyrics to "Its Raining Men" on the drivers door.......
:lol:

You would never get past those killer guard dogs in the backyard.

You going to bring your car over when I go down there?
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
Leatherneck

Re: Motorbreath53's Baja thread

Post by Leatherneck »

motorbreath53 wrote:Hello Gentlemen... recognize a bunch of you from theSamba...
Gentlemen, that is funny! :lol: You will fit in here just great. motorbreath53 welcome to the dirt pile, good to see you finally made it. I think Copper gets a beer for this one. But, nice looking baja some real nice work your doing, keep us filled in on what and how, anything we can help with give a shout, if you can help out please do so.
Skidmark wrote:Welcome to the REAL off road forum... now get off the computer and get that thing drivable!!!
motorbreath53

Post by motorbreath53 »

Did I just get compliments from the moderator!?!?!?! Thanks for the kind words Dad... :D

Ricko- I planned on coming and helping if I have the day off work... (haven't looked yet :oops: ) but I hadn't planned on bringin the baja... its a pretty solid drive from San Marcos to Santee..... but depending on its "street drivability status" at the time, maybe i'll just roll that thing down there.... what the hell... i've got AAA......

These pics are from early in the day with the gauges just sitting in the dash (ie no hold in brackets) thats why they look goofy in some of the pics....

and yes.... there is a WATER TEMP gauge in there... i'm commited now, ECOTEC HERE I COME!!!

Since these pics, most the welding on the seams has been done (tedious as all hell trying to keep the heat down. tack, move..........tack, move........etc....) Got the dummy light holes drilled, and I have finished all the mounting brackets... so it just bolts on up, just like factory :roll:

Should have it in primer tommorow...