Lotrat's Budget Baja Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Lotrat

Re: Lotrat's Budget Baja Build

Post by Lotrat »

I'd love to lift it, but it's my daily driver. I drive it up and down the coast from the boarder to LA all the time. I need to keep it streetable. My company wants me to have a car that is 5 years or newer or they'll tax my car allowance. They didn't for the first 2 months, so I may just keep it and see. My old car allowance plan said I needed a 3 year or newer car, but they paid anyway. I pick up company VPs from airports and take customers to fancy lunches, so I've kept this one mild and clean. My oldest is 2 years from driving, so I may just keep it for him. No space, no time, no money. I'm gonna put it up on CL for 5 and see if I get any bites. If I sell this Jeep I plan on ordering a new Jeep, so I'll be driving the baja for 6 weeks until it comes in. That's gonna be fun.
mikeadams

Post by mikeadams »

Lotrat wrote:I'd love to lift it, but it's my daily driver. I drive it up and down the coast from the boarder to LA all the time. I need to keep it streetable. My company wants me to have a car that is 5 years or newer or they'll tax my car allowance. They didn't for the first 2 months, so I may just keep it and see. My old car allowance plan said I needed a 3 year or newer car, but they paid anyway. I pick up company VPs from airports and take customers to fancy lunches, so I've kept this one mild and clean. My oldest is 2 years from driving, so I may just keep it for him. No space, no time, no money. I'm gonna put it up on CL for 5 and see if I get any bites. If I sell this Jeep I plan on ordering a new Jeep, so I'll be driving the baja for 6 weeks until it comes in. That's gonna be fun.
It's hard to leave well enough alone. I'm driving the wheels off a Hyundai and would love to drive a toy. Then I'd have some other turd I'd be working on night and day..
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Dang it! Missed another desert season. I think I'm the only one here with a working baja that's never used. :lol:

Happy Easter anyway.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Lotrat wrote:Dang it! Missed another desert season. I think I'm the only one here with a working baja that's never used. :lol:

Happy Easter anyway.
What do you mean? We are waiting for it to warm up enough to ride :lol:
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

Lotrat wrote:Dang it! Missed another desert season. I think I'm the only one here with a working baja that's never used. :lol:

Happy Easter anyway.
I'm with you. Never made it to the desert this year either. One beach trip and that was it.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

CentralWAbaja wrote:What do you mean? We are waiting for it to warm up enough to ride :lol:
SoCal desert season starts on Halloween and ends on Easter... unofficially. There are a few "cool" days to be had, but it gets too dang hot out there to plan a weekend. Time for Pismo!
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

takotruckin wrote:I'm with you. Never made it to the desert this year either. One beach trip and that was it.
I made it out once with my son and some dirtbikes for the day back in November. That was it for us.
IMG-20131109-00679 (Small).jpg
The baja has been doing duty as a toad for the past few years... and it's a big duty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Geez that kid got big... circa 2008. 2nd trip in the baja to the desert.
IMG_3924 (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gratednipple

Post by gratednipple »

Lotrat wrote:
takotruckin wrote:I'm with you. Never made it to the desert this year either. One beach trip and that was it.
I made it out once with my son and some dirtbikes for the day back in November. That was it for us.
IMG-20131109-00679 (Small).jpg
The baja has been doing duty as a toad for the past few years... and it's a big duty.
Nice boots?
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

gratednipple wrote:Nice boots?
Ha! Nice eye! Worth every penny. Thanks again.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Does Lotrat still have a baja or did he go totally 2wheel?
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

What's up fellas?

Still got the baja... getting out of the 2 wheel stuff. Just sold my bike. Kids bikes are next. Tired of cleaning carbs for stuff no one rides.
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/search/ ... d=11581974

Thinking about selling the baja too. Just changed the oil, adjusted the valves, cleaned the air filter, and re-indexed the sagging drivers side torsion bar. Anyone know the torque spec for the cover bolts on a snot box? Once that's done, it's good to go.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Good to see you still have your key to get in here Lotrat. Maybe it's time you made a trip with your Baja.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Lotrat wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 11:02 amAnyone know the torque spec for the cover bolts on a snot box? Once that's done, it's good to go.
Spent the last month researching and came up with nothing. I tried to contact Bugpack tech support, but I didn't realize that EMPI bought Bugpack back in 2015. All the bugpack tribal knowledge was lost. The Empi 8544 is similar, but there's no torque spec listed for the cover bolts. I went with 15ft-lbs. Hope she holds. Nice to have the baja running again.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Hey LotRat! Good to see ya on here again, but sad to read you saying you're thinking of ditching the Baja.

The bolts for the breather cover aren't under serious load. Torque on the bolts is not critical. Having internal; lock washers under the bolt heads is more important. Clean threads on the bolt and in the box with blue loc-tite would help, but again, not needed. good and snug, not real tight.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting