Lotrat's Budget Baja Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
dustymojave

Re: Lotrat's Budget Baja Build

Post by dustymojave »

They don't show on the site anymore...I think they no longer sell them. I was looking for the bead installer/extractor tool to use with my Coats manual machine.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
crazyman1

Post by crazyman1 »

Lotrat wrote:So I stopped by my buddy's place to visit my old HF tire machine to pop the tires off the wheels. Then he had 3 tires to pop off too.
IMG01130 (Small).jpg
Then his neighbor had 2 to pop off.
and then his botherinlaw had 2 to pop off.
Nine tires when all was said and done. That machine paid for itself 10x over.
IMG01132 (Small).jpg
The Remington Wide Brutes were pretty cool.

Any of these tires usable or for sale?
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

crazyman1 wrote:Any of these tires usable or for sale?
Good God man, no way. You would be better off pulling tires out of a land fill than using any from that pile.
crazyman1

Post by crazyman1 »

Lotrat wrote:
crazyman1 wrote:Any of these tires usable or for sale?
Good God man, no way. You would be better off pulling tires out of a land fill than using any from that pile.

The tires with the tubes on them looked good in the pic and the 2 stacked by the truck looked good. lol
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Yeah, those are being reused. There's a guy up in San Marcos that will pick up aluminum wheels and polish them for $20 bucks each. They come back better then when they were new.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
birddog1148

Post by birddog1148 »

dustymojave wrote:They don't show on the site anymore...I think they no longer sell them. I was looking for the bead installer/extractor tool to use with my Coats manual machine.
Glad I have one! :D
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Lotrat wrote:... that makes winifredevw the winner. Shoot me a PM and your prize will be mailed out tomorrow.

Yeup, I forgot to mail them out before I left town. You will now get all the random stickers I have on my desk!
winifredevw

Post by winifredevw »

Even the scratch and sniff ones?
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

winifredevw wrote:Even the scratch and sniff ones?
Sorry, the kids won't give those up... and I found out that the post office is closed today. Tomorrow, I promise!
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Anyone need a Jeep? Up to 127k miles. Rear main still leaking, still needs tires, drivers side power window is making noise, needs rear wheel bearings, some windshield frame rust under the seal which drips in the rain. Everything else is good. Tags good til May. Passes smog with flying colors. $4500 OBO.
http://www.kbb.com/jeep/cherokee/2001-j ... c0%7c0%7c0
Lotrat wrote:2001 Jeep Cherokee
Inline 6, 4.0L, 4x4, Upcountry package, tow package.
1" factory lift, HD suspension, skid plates, trak-loc rear diff, auxillary trans cooler.
Stock tires are only 225x75x15, but I'm running 235x75x15 tires with no rub. 30's may fit, but it would be close.
17 mpg average
14 was the low
19 was the high
Just put a new radiator in it this weekend... thought I was just doing a simple flush. Never works that way.
114,000 all Lotrat miles.
The rear main is leaking and it needs a set of tires.
IMGP1167 (Medium).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

So the Jeep dealer let me walk out over $600 bucks on a new Jeep. I must be getting close. I'll let them stew on it awhile. :twisted:

Oh and to keep this on topic, this is the new tow vehicle for my baja. :mrgreen:
My company won't keep paying my car allowance on it because it's too old, otherwise I'd keep it.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

So the rear wheel bearings turned out to be ok... the drivers side axle is all pitted. Looks like I'm driving the baja tomorrow.
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

C-Clip axles from the sound of it. Didn't know that Jeep did that.
Cross-threaded is tighter than Lock-tite
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Yeap. I pulled the passenger side out and it all looked good. I was gonna run out and buy the bearings and seals, but decided to look at the other side before I left. It was a shock to me. A local truck bone yard had the axle shaft. Common part on Cherokee, Grands, and Wrangler with Dana 35 rear. $200 bucks for the axle, bearings, seals, and royal purple. I hope someone buys it before I put little 225/75/15 street tires on it. I don't think I could bear to see that.
CopperBaja

Post by CopperBaja »

Lift it and wheel it!
I'm lifting my Pathfinder in the next couple weeks. (well...subframe drop, actually)

Need: 2 F350 2WD rear shocks and WJ 6.5" lift springs.
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)