DesertGuy 2.0

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
bajaherbie

Re: DesertGuy 2.0

Post by bajaherbie »

:shock:
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

bajaherbie wrote::shock:
Yup
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

Leatherneck wrote:
bajaherbie wrote::shock:
Yup
DesertGuy

Post by DesertGuy »

Thank you guys, lots a money and lots a time....but think it is getting closer. Wish I had more time to devout to it but other priorities get in the way sometimes.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

How about we leave this right here....

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/thread ... st-1714020

I was lucky enough to be included in an email chain from the new owner on Wednesday the 2nd that just said from the dyno to tech, going to be a steep learning curve. It included a video of the car strapped to the dyno and from there they headed to the Henderson 250 where, well the above link says the rest.

Stephen, you designed and built an amazing car, you should be proud. And these guys will enjoy the heck out of it I know. They are so excited to have it, and I cant wait to see it in person.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
DesertGuy

Post by DesertGuy »

Here is a final pic to close out this thread.... sums it up!!

Adios Muchachos..
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

DesertGuy wrote: Image
Beautiful Car DG! And I say THUMBS UP! too.

Saying that, I hate to be a turd in the swimming pool...But that's a FAIL of the window net. If he can get his hand out while the car is moving, it can get torn off when the car is flipping. I would reject it at Tech anytime.

Folks might poo-poo such, but at the very 1st desert offroad race I attended and worked Tech, 2 men lost both arms between the wrists and elbows when they endoed off the bulldozer jump 100 yards from the start line while pre-running. No nets allowed their arms out of the cage. The car wasn't hurt. Off road race organizations soon changed their rules to require roof panels and nets to keep extremities in the car.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Iguana

Post by Iguana »

That net that stops at the front pillar next to the open windscreen area would be what you are talking about ?

I am yet to see a net that you can't get your hand out of it if you want to, nets are not designed to stop you getting your hand out if you want, they are designed to stop your arm flailing in a roll over or other un-intended action. Although it sounds like on your watch no such thing would ever happen.

Calling a fail on anything based on an internet picture of a car that may or may not even be racing is nothing more than self promotion and look at me bullshit... leave it alone the car rocks, he did a great build and it was so far out of what most could ever hope to achieve it should be admired for what it is.
Buy a Kit, Build a Dream
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

I demonstrate concern for peoples safety and YOU call self promotion look at me bullshit ??????

Why do you like to start arguments when I try to get along with you and give you respect for what you do and say. Speaking of self promotion look at me bullshit!?!? It seems you're talking to the man in your own mirror when you say such things.

I DID give props for a beautiful well done car. I have a huge amount of respect for the man who goes by "DesertGuy" on these forums. I simply pointed out for the sake of the new owner and his co-riders something my personal observations have shown to be a safety issue. When a car flips at speed, it's amazing how one's limbs can flop around and where one's hands can get to. I have no expectation of a water or air tight seal with a window net. But I DO want to see nets that will retain one's extremities within the car. If he can readily get his hand out to wave at someone he passes, then it's likely that his hand can get out there inadvertently during a flip.

Safety on race cars from people of a mind set like mine has taken car racing from an extremely dangerous thing to one that is safer than driving to work in the morning. I've been involved in Technical and SAFETY Inspection of race cars for over 50 years and I know that I focus on such things far more than the average motorsports person. People with a mind set such as the one you are demonstrating here would have racers in cars with no seat belts or roll bars.

I've expressed concern in other threads for your own safety and got an argument over it from you. Not a "Thanks, I'll think about that." It seems every time I bring up a safety issue, you want to start flaming. Why ya gotta be so rude?? Get over yourself.

Perhaps I should let Darwin's theories be put into effect and let you learn about safety "the hard way".
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
jt1967

Post by jt1967 »

dustymojave wrote:I demonstrate concern for peoples safety and YOU call self promotion look at me bullshit ??????

Why do you like to start arguments when I try to get along with you and give you respect for what you do and say. Speaking of self promotion look at me bullshit!?!? It seems you're talking to the man in your own mirror when you say such things.

I DID give props for a beautiful well done car. I have a huge amount of respect for the man who goes by "DesertGuy" on these forums. I simply pointed out for the sake of the new owner and his co-riders something my personal observations have shown to be a safety issue. When a car flips at speed, it's amazing how one's limbs can flop around and where one's hands can get to. I have no expectation of a water or air tight seal with a window net. But I DO want to see nets that will retain one's extremities within the car. If he can readily get his hand out to wave at someone he passes, then it's likely that his hand can get out there inadvertently during a flip.

Safety on race cars from people of a mind set like mine has taken car racing from an extremely dangerous thing to one that is safer than driving to work in the morning. I've been involved in Technical and SAFETY Inspection of race cars for over 50 years and I know that I focus on such things far more than the average motorsports person. People with a mind set such as the one you are demonstrating here would have racers in cars with no seat belts or roll bars.

I've expressed concern in other threads for your own safety and got an argument over it from you. Not a "Thanks, I'll think about that." It seems every time I bring up a safety issue, you want to start flaming. Why ya gotta be so rude?? Get over yourself.

Perhaps I should let Darwin's theories be put into effect and let you learn about safety "the hard way".

Well said Dusty I agree you can never get enough safety input and if you can get your hand out to wave as you pass by then your window nets are useless!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Desertguy, what is the next project?
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Bump