A-Arm front end - Very Happy A-Arm .com Customer

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: A-Arm front end - Very Happy A-Arm .com Customer

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Not applicable to the new title.
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

Those A arm setups sure do look sweet, but unfortunately that would not last long in the woods with rock, trees and major ruts. You sand guys have it made, we are stuck with +6 beams and 1x4 arms to handle the abuse that we see.
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The really wide beams don't always work here either because some of the trails through the woods are so narrow (I have posted video of some of them). Most seem to be happy with 3 X 3 and a bit longer wheel base (105" plus-ish but less than the Sand Car medium of 120"). The "water scooter" rail I talked about did have alignment problems per the guy who owned and built it. I can't remember for sure now if it was trying to get the alignment done or just holding it after it was set. I think he said it was holding it because of the leverage and long tubes.

That bunch of guys drive (drove) hard and put away wet. There are so many obstacles', even on the sand so, it isn't that hard to "whang" something. Turning a full twisting double flip, on a dune jump, in layout position and nailing the landing is pretty hard to do and still get full points on the landing... or towing back junk! :lol: Doing the same jump as a "gainer" (going forward then flipping backwards) is even more difficult as you can "nose in" much easier. :roll:

Anyway, back to Iguana for his IFS design.

Lee
Iguana

Post by Iguana »

Well as off this week we have the A-Arm setups back in full production and have solved the last element which h was the steering rack but working out a way to get the shaft shortened without having to cut and weld.

GetRDone has been hard at it laying down some awesome dimes and they are looking pretty :)

Buy a Kit, Build a Dream
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

It is purty
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

I keep thinking about this kit for my baja. I do 90% street driving and 10% dirt roads, woods trails, 2 tracks out in the desert etc. So I need road manors.

I talked to Big Dave and he said his is a bit touchy on the highway. Major body roll. Does anybody else drive theirs on the highway? I'm talking like hundred mile trips at 70 on the interstate type driving. Would love to hear a few more reports.
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

I would recommend a sway bar for high speed freeway type driving. Even the thing at speed gets air under the front and with the front tuned for off road makes for some concentration. Similar to driving a stock bug without a sway bar. It's hard to have both worlds, driving directly from the desert to freeway speeds.
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

His is also unique in having FOA shocks. The fox's are valved for the A-arm.com setup.
Marc

Re: Pics

Post by Marc »

Iguana wrote:...You will notice I don't have stub axles I have mounting faces to bolt snubs too, this was a change I requested and Pete had no issues changing his design to support me...
I like that idea. What spindles is it set up to accept? I was thinking one could use Rabbit/Dasher rears, which take the same bearings as `68½-up Type I or III. If front brakes are desired, I'm not sure if they'd be long enough to take Type I/III rotors or drum - if not you could run Rabbit rear drums or GTI rear discs (using those spindles which incorporate caliper mounts). https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=htt ... at.jpg&f=1

At the boneyard those spindles are often found to be worn on the bottom of the outer journal from lack of servicing/adjusting so I'd make the bolt pattern to mount them upside-down, that'd make a "borderline-condition" one more likely to work OK.

As a bonus from making the spindles detachable you can use available tapered shims to achieve the base camber desired, which'd make it less critical to get the alignment of a welded-on spindle just right.
dansparts

Re: Pics

Post by dansparts »

Marc wrote:As a bonus from making the spindles detachable you can use available tapered shims to achieve the base camber desired, which'd make it less critical to get the alignment of a welded-on spindle just right.
Marc, your don't want to use shims at the spindle to adjust camber. The A-arm spindle has upper and lower heims that you adjust to set the camber.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I see the Heims, I'm just sayin' that bolt-on spindles present another adjustability option. If you're leery of shims (we've used them for years without problems on circletrack cars, but that's not off-road, I know) the mounting pads of the spindles could be milled too. Shouldn't ever need any tweaks beyond what you can do with the Heims, but sometimes sh*t gets bent and there isn't time to fix it "right". Regardless, I still like the concept of modularity to simplify repairs
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Marc wrote:I see the Heims, I'm just sayin' that bolt-on spindles present another adjustability option. If you're leery of shims (we've used them for years without problems on circletrack cars, but that's not off-road, I know) the mounting pads of the spindles could be milled too. Shouldn't ever need any tweaks beyond what you can do with the Heims, but sometimes sh*t gets bent and there isn't time to fix it "right". Regardless, I still like the concept of modularity to simplify repairs

I'm not sure if the factory rear rabbit spindles would be attached strongly enough, from memory they are held on with 4 8mm bolts, and the flange is pretty small OD.

Bolt on spindles would allow a huge variety of options, like (Ford) wide5 stubs/hubs/wheels... the latest 2-7/8" "big bearing" setup is very stubby and look very stout, and large enough to pass a stub axle through with a support bearing.

Provides some nice nice, light, cheap braking options (and far more strength) vs the $1500-2500/axle setups often seen now for "serious" off road use.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

Well i dont see them sold anymore. Can i get a copy of the steering rack info so i can make one?
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

I wish someone would pick this back up!
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

jg210302 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:40 am I wish someone would pick this back up!
If there is no support, do you really want the product? I thought Iguana and Dans Parts picked this all up, but I guess not?
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!