Lord Bajamungus build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
kyle_pc_75

Re: Lord Bajamungus build

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

I didn't get nearly as much done as I wanted, but it's progress. The body is mounted and I like the idea of just losing the louvers, I just want to retain the option of rear glass. I am thinking of mounting the oil cooler in the back window instead of on the roof like it is now.
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

As to your oil filter mounting, on the side of the bumper cage works nicely.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

You shouldn't have a problem keeping the window as long as you leave some meat between your cutout and the window channel and keep the heat moving around.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Leather, one reason not to take those louvers out is how much it weakens the body under the rear window. You can take them out for space, but I suggest bracing the back of the body to the roll cage if you do.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

^^^^ The rolled edges of the vents are structural for both the vents and the area below the windows.^^^^

They work kind of like beading or the raised areas on the pan halves.

Added the "Y" to "the" at the start of the above sentence.
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Leatherneck wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:06 pm I have seen a lot of filters mounted on the firewall, since the louvers are not being used why not take them out and mold in some sheet stock to make room for the Air Cleaner. Nice list you have.
Dusty wouldn't suggest taking them out without building something to take it's place, earlier I suggested adding some sheet stock making the room for the cleaner.
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Gotcha, thanks guys. Went skiing today and then met with some media people who're going to help with BOR, but I might get some work done tomorrow. The powder is calling, though...best winter in ten years.
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Well, I've worked on the car the last three days. Photobucket is down, and the pics aren't exciting, I just know you guys like proof. Anyway, I got the body back in position and bolted down, re-fitted the cage, and reinstalled the CV's and axles.

Little steps are making me feel good!

Biggest stuff to make it driveable is electrical, fuel and oil plumbing, bleeding the brakes.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Good for you Kyle, I am sure you will be very happy to drive her. You have a lot less to do than I do LOL.

Ed
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Good to hear the progress though seeing is believing :D Glad you are making progress. Get busy Ed. :wink:
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

I've been having trouble with Photobucket too. Sometimes they're the cool deal, sometimes they're a real PITA.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Still no photobucket, I'm going to look at another option. It works fine on my phone and if you're on Facebook you can see them there.

Today:

Engine cage done, rear shocks installed, driver seat mount mocked up, oil filter mounted, VHF reinstalled and a bunch of little odds and ends I found while crawling around the car.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Good to see you motivated and rocking on the car Kyle!
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I resize and post here, for the most part they stay, with Facebook you move or delete and they are gone here too. Stay Motivated.
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Photophucket is over, none of the links work now, and I tried Imgur, but it doesn't work either lol. Anyway, today I got another bunch of odds and ends done. Seat mount (driver side only lol) is close, battery box and ground strap are in, redid the lower front shock mount spacers so they're not hitting the upper arms, installed the rear skid plate, installed the steering column (the steering wheel is not in the 12 o'clock position, just an annoyance), I guess that's it. It feels like I did so much more, dangit.