Lord Bajamungus build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

Re: Lord Bajamungus build - IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

Post by Leatherneck »

Congrats on breathing life back into one. Is a cool feeling for sure to know all those bleeding knuckles and time spent just starring at it paid off.
1966bajabug

Post by 1966bajabug »

Big Dave wrote:I might just have to come check it out. I don't see anything about it on the Miller motorsports park website though.
What time of day does it take place, and how much are tickets for spectators?
Its not sponsored by MMP, thus the reason for not being on their website. it is run in one of their gravel parking lots this race they are supposed to have two courses a north in the morning and a south for the afternoon. It is free to go spectate just need to make sure to sign the wavier saying you wont hold them responsible should you get hurt. The races start at 10 A.M. and usually get over around 4 P.M. i wish i could make this one, but it is the same weekend as the Mint 400 down in Vegas(hopefully we'll be racing) but if not will be taking ALOT of pictures. good luck at the race kyle, go show them what baja's are all about!!!!!
B.R.A.T. Motorsports #936

kyle_pc_75 wrote:
I soon realized Shortie is just fast!
Qurtys Lyn

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

And we need Pics guys. My friend will be out there in his White Hyundai Accent. Good Luck, Kyle!
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

We'll take pics for sure, though I doubt they'll be anywhere as good as Qurtys'. My buddy's convinced I'm gonna do something stupid so he'll be shooting the whole time.

Kyle
Last edited by kyle_pc_75 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

Dave, bring a helmet (better than using one of the extras they have there) and you may be able to hitch a ride with some one, no charge 8) . It's great to get a fill for this type of racing without the expense, although it doesn't cost a lot to race.

I wish I could be there, but the MINT is calling my name!!! :lol:

Hope to make the next one though, with my Baja! :D
Qurtys Lyn

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

BAJA-IT wrote:Dave, bring a helmet (better than using one of the extras they have there) and you may be able to hitch a ride with some one, no charge 8) . It's great to get a fill for this type of racing without the expense, although it doesn't cost a lot to race.

I wish I could be there, but the MINT is calling my name!!! :lol:

Hope to make the next one though, with my Baja! :D
It looks like since this is a National Challenge event, that they're not allowing Passengers. I don't know if this means that you can't have an codriver or not, but I don't think they're letting spectators ride for this race. However, in April they will.
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936
kyle_pc_75

Re: Lord Bajamungus build - no icing on this cake...er, carb

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Took it out for a nice, illegal drive today and the Zenith ran great. It's about 40', snowing wet snow...the worst conditions for a single carb setup and it did great!

That is all.

Kyle
Qurtys Lyn

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

kyle_pc_75 wrote:Took it out for a nice, illegal drive today and the Zenith ran great. It's about 40', snowing wet snow...the worst conditions for a single carb setup and it did great!

That is all.

Kyle
Awesome, can't wait to see it running at the Clean up.
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Bought this yesterday, installed it today:

I adjusted the point gap, set it to about 10' BTDC at idle, made sure it didn't advance too far, and took it for a drive. The off-idle response is incredible, what an improvement over the 009. My carb still needs tuning, but I'm definitely impressed so far.

If you're wondering, it was rebuilt by Ed Fall. He's local to me, advertises on TOS. Very professional, clean shop, provided me with the ignition curve from his test bench. I highly recommend him.

Kyle
Glenn

Re: Lord Bajamungus build - 019 installed

Post by Glenn »

You should set the timing for the 019 to 30 degrees BTDC @ 3500rpm.

If you set it as you did 10 degrees you'll only get 27 degrees total since the 019 should have 17 degrees built in. You want 30 total and the best way to ensure that is to set it at full advance.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

:shock:

glenn up in 'da house........
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
petew

Post by petew »

what's a dizzy? :lol:

but seriously, I thought you were talking about an 091 trans for a minute there.
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Glenn wrote:You should set the timing for the 019 to 30 degrees BTDC @ 3500rpm.
Yeah, I admittedly half-a$$ed it, it was late and I didn't have a tach hooked up so I didn't even know my idle speed. I'll do it proper tomorrow.

Kyle
Qurtys Lyn

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

petew wrote:what's a dizzy? :lol:

but seriously, I thought you were talking about an 091 trans for a minute there.
That's what I thought at first too... :lol:
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

Every engine is going to want it's own max advance. It may well be that the RoT works in this case, but I always keep Smokey's saying in mind when working with ignition timing. "Two degrees too much is way too much, but two degrees too little hardly matters" or words to that effect. Better to sneak up on it than go too far.
Cross-threaded is tighter than Lock-tite