Lord Bajamungus build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
TimS

Re: Lord Bajamungus build

Post by TimS »

Where your tank may be higher than your carb, you may want to add a shutoff valve somewhere.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

Take Tim's advice and put a shutoff valve at the tank, makes it much nicer when you have to remove the tank.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

I finished welding up the tray for the fuel cell....ooh, look at that pretty weld! I confess I had to redo a few of them. I'm noodling on a few ideas of how to tie the tray into the cage without a tubing bender...

The dash is close. I have some 3/4" idiot lights that will go on the driver's side above and between the gauges. I'm happy with the layout.

Back at it tomorrow. I haven't done much more work on the cage or seat mounts since my last update, and it seems like always the list keeps growing. With only two working weekends left, Vernal is looking pretty doubtful, but that's OK because I'm making progress and the Grand Canyon won't be a problem. :D
TimS

Post by TimS »

I like those screw on terminal circuit breakers.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Are you going to run any tubing down to the torsion housing and tie that into the cage/upper shock mounts? If so you might be able to run some struts or tabs off of those torsion brace tubes over to your fuel cell tray and brace them together.

Looking good.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

kyle_pc_75 wrote:I finished welding up the tray for the fuel cell....ooh, look at that pretty weld! I confess I had to redo a few of them. I'm noodling on a few ideas of how to tie the tray into the cage without a tubing bender...

I'm concerned about the notches. What are they for?

I agree with Steve's suggestion. Maybe some braces from the roll cage braces angling down and forward to the front corners of the tray. But with those notches, it better have a cross bar of like 1-1/2" under the tray front and back.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

The notches are the clear the straps that go over the top of the cell. I'm fine with 1-1/2" if that's what it takes. I hadn't intended this tray to be the only thing holding the cell in place, it's really there to keep the cell from moving laterally. I had planned on more structure to actually support it just hadn't figured it out yet, that's why I have you guys! Looks like I need to get some more tubing. Always adding to the list.. ;)
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Kile, I am going to be picky here: in the last pix you show some saw blade cuts/mark on the lower leg of the angle piece. You also have sharp (not radiused) internal corners in the notches both of which are potential stress riser locations.

You are probably going to be OK on this but be aware of this situation. I have tendency to be a bit conservative when building.

Lee
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Thanks Lee. Like I said, any advice is good advice!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Nice seeing this progress.
n8ball

Post by n8ball »

Looking good Kyle. A couple pages back you said I can't drive it?!? I am hurt. What could I possibly do? It's not like I break everything I drive. OK well, after thinking about it, i do break everything. Make sure you add corn dog to the no drive list.
1966bajabug

Post by 1966bajabug »

I already know why I'm not allowed to drive it...
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Well, it's been about a year, so I thought I'd work on the car this weekend. I got warning lights installed in the dash, labeled the switches and breakers, and installed front turn signals. Whew, I'm tired!

My to-do list is growing, but at least I checked two things off. It feels good. You can thank Jarad for pushing me to work on it. :D
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

I realized I never posted pics of the work I did 6 months ago. Yes, I DID work on the car today. ETB really got my juices flowing again. I redid the dash a little, started wiring, installed the VHF radio, and cut sleeves for the joints in the cage. The passenger side dash is a bit rattle-y so I'm going to add two more insert nuts to the middle. I lost all my electrical notes so I had to refigure circuit sizes and realized I missed a few things, but I have extra space, so that's not a big deal.

Back at it tomorrow! Thanks Tim for the kick in the pants. :)

CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Awesome news!
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!