Lord Bajamungus build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

Re: Lord Bajamungus build

Post by Leatherneck »

Nice dash pic, thanks for posting the old update.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Keep up the good work! That dash looks sweet!
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

I too love the dash. I love that it has lots going on and yet it is very simple. But you spelled Hazzard wrong :wink:
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Discovered I need to do a little trimming of the body. I couldn't get all the body bolts to line up and therefore the stock steering shaft is off. I'm hoping I don't have to redrill the holes in the floor for the cage, but I can always weld in some sheet metal and redrill. I'm going to plate the mounting points anyway.

Also got some toys in the mail today so I can lead next year's GTG trip and offer a seat to someone. I've just started putting that together...details to come soon.

dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

kyle_pc_75 wrote:Discovered I need to do a little trimming of the body. I couldn't get all the body bolts to line up and therefore the stock steering shaft is off. I'm hoping I don't have to redrill the holes in the floor for the cage, but I can always weld in some sheet metal and redrill. I'm going to plate the mounting points anyway.

When installing a body shell, always start ALL bolts before tightening ANY of them.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
TimS

Post by TimS »

I think my next codriver should be a chef.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

TimS wrote:I think my next codriver should be a chef.
Is Herbie a Chef?
TimS

Post by TimS »

This really belongs in another place, but I was thinking we could engineer the camping experience as much as we engineer on our cars. We have enough seats to preemptively select the "interns" that would most support the mission (our ability to drink beer and be merry) and give them drive to do well at it. Positions could include chef, massage, vehicle maintenance tech, pryotechnition. We could have an application process guised as a contest for best skilled and hold the trip in the summer so some random eager college kid would jump at the opportunity for adventure. Contract would include the disclaimer that they can be dropped off at any town that has >1000 people if they don't know to be amicable or how to sit down and shut up.

Kyle is an awesome navigator! I had a ton of fun this year. But that being said, I would rather have him at the other end of the radio driving his own car. It's not a race, after all, and we are all somewhat minimally competent in navigation of some sort.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Oh man... Pokemon. That will be our bait. They can play Pokemon all they want when driving, but will get to work as soon as we stop.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

TimS wrote: and we are all somewhat minimally competent in navigation of some sort.
Hey I resemble that remark...........I think :D

Ed
TimS

Post by TimS »

Seriously, we could all have "interns". Someone has to teach the younger generation to be as awesome as us. Then we need to setup the 501c3 for the public service we do and make donations to our charity. We could contract with local universities and offer this as an elective instead of basket weaving. Universities will be fighting to partner with us because they can charge double what we do, and the kids will simply sign the form to let the taxpayers do the work. I can create the sylabus and official looking documents. I doubt the students would complain that we are increasing their GPA's.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Then we can setup a GoFundMe account to have all their friends and relatives pledge money to support their character building by assigning additional punishments... ehem... learning exercises like log splitting, latrene duty, and spindle replacement.
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Back at it. I made a list and started checking things off. With the transaxle mount, the engine sits a bit higher, so I had to trim the body to fit. Unfortunately, the air cleaner is impossible to get to now, so I'm trying to think of some options there.

Also, where do most of you guys have your oil filters mounted? I'm looking for a good out of the way spot. Firewall perhaps?

Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I have seen a lot of filters mounted on the firewall, since the louvers are not being used why not take them out and mold in some sheet stock to make room for the Air Cleaner. Nice list you have.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Good to see you back at it.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!