Central WA Baja

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Central WA Baja

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I had PM's CWB about a fatal incident here many, many years ago having to do with roofs. Since you can't post pix on PM now this was the only way I could think of to do it.

Lee

Added: Pete, its funny how money and stupidity can ruin things isn't it. I used to enjoy sports and racing until money got into the mix then things got nasty, showoff (ify) then boring.

Stupidity on the other hand puts people in dangerous situations on the road and it usually affects others to the negative hence the rules which get tighter and tighter as stupidity runs rampant. This current "you don't tell me what to do... I tell you" is sure getting out of hand.

If you notice, countries rise then usually fall after something like 300 years or so due to this very thing :roll: .

Lee
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

Lee, we called 'em "modifieds". They had a 6 cyl class and a V8 class.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

bajaherbie wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:34 am Lee, we called 'em "modifieds". They had a 6 cyl class and a V8 class.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
The one I posted was a precursor to the winged cars they have now.

We had jalopies which were basically gutted '30s cars (mostly Ford as up to '37 the Chev bodies were basically thin metal covering wood [I lived in a "Chevrolet town"]) and the uprights which, just after this, had a wing on the roof then came the wing in front as a second wing.

Since the Chev 6's had a "dip" oiling system (small metal scoops clamped the rod cap bolts) they ran hard but there was a definite RPM limitation and a harmonics problem... as I remember. The flathead Ford 6's ('41 to '51[???])ruled for a while but as they didn't have oiling problems only they had a built in breathing problem which limited their RPMs. Then there was the flathead Fords V8s then came the Chev V8: the 265s had oiling problems due to the notch required in the cam shaft. They were replaced by the 283s which lasted a bit longer but stamina was still a problem. Most of that got fixed. The Ford Y-block ran strong and had endurance but the Chevs became more popular due to the quicker RPMs. I don't remember there being a whole lot of Mopar (Dodge Bros.) running (Dodge cranks and related parts in a Plymouth was a good fix for them as I remember).

Did you know that in about 1917 to 1919 Chevrolet had a V8. It looked more like the Buick V8s but they had them for a short period of time.
Chev V8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
petew

Post by petew »

Pontiac had a flathead too. I saw it in the Pontiac Museum in Pontiac, Illinois on Route 66. Pretty cool stuff.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Fathead 4s, 6 and. Incline 8s were very common. It was the OHHAnd hammers that were less common.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Just because....
https://youtu.be/IIg5Pq4Lq2A

Make sure you have a good connection and set the pic quality to 1080p
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

jt1967

Post by jt1967 »

Daron 1.JPG
Sorry i didnt get a chance to take you out and get the Queen MUDDY or STUCK in a RUT LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

Nice looks like you had some fun. How’s the new front end and seats?
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

jt1967 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:50 am Daron 1.JPGSorry i didnt get a chance to take you out and get the Queen MUDDY or STUCK in a RUT LOL
Wow Joe, if you turn that pic sideways like that it get pretty extreme looking LOL
BajaBug222 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:11 pm Nice looks like you had some fun. How’s the new front end and seats?
Front end works pretty good still have never touched the setup there. Rear shocks can use a little tuning. But again have never really touched those from day one. we did play with it a little but did not want to totally adjust for the sand either.

Seats are awesome. I spent a lot of time in them for the week. Started to finally get tired and sore late in the week but I would think that would be expected.
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

Awesome yeah looks like you had some good seat time. Yeah setup would be a little different in the sand don’t want to make to many changes. Or just write them down can always switch back and forth.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

BajaBug222 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:34 pm Awesome yeah looks like you had some good seat time. Yeah setup would be a little different in the sand don’t want to make to many changes. Or just write them down can always switch back and forth.
Honestly we have not even played with the tuning since day 1 when Zac Reish turned a few screws for me to get it where it is. He told me then that he thought it was oversprung slightly on the rear.

We played a little with it this trip but there just is not really any adjustments left to be had in the bypasses. So I will probably order some springs and go from there. It's definitely derivable as it is, I am just ready to start learning more about all of that and seeing what we can do.

Surprisingly the fronts are set exactly the same as they were before with the other front end. We may add just a little preload to get some ride height but dang it feels good as it is. That may change just a little as we do stuff to the rear though.....stay tuned 8)
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »