Central WA Baja

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
CentralWAbaja

Re: Central WA Baja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

We do the quad and dirt bike thing also.

Moses Lake, Oregon Coast, even Glamis (once a year or so)

But my favorite is my back yard...The mountains.

I can go from my place to Whistle'n Jacks in Nachees on Hwy 410 (almost 100miles) without going more than about 200 feet on pavement. My avatar pict is of me climbing "Funny Rocks" at Nachees. Did that in front of about 150 jeeps. Nothing better than getting out at the top (in my VW) and asking if anybody else made it up in 1 wheel drive?
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Got started on the cage over the last few days...Got the basic shape I was wanting but it's kinda a 1 step forward, 2 steps back thing.

I am not happy with the way the two sides came in towards the center at the back. About 3.5 inches per side to far. :(

This morning I spent some time on the phone with Chris at Bend Tech....Realized that I had a setting wrong in my rotation portion of the program :oops:

Called my steel guy and ordered another stick of DOM.... I will have re-bend the 2 sides. I am sure I will find a home for those pieces somewhere?

Here are the pics anyway... You'll get the basic idea.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

nice shop, whats on tv?
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Probably the Olympics :D

Guys gotta have a TV in the shop. I made fun of dad when he first did it....now I have one in my little garage at home.
Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

CentralWAbaja wrote:Probably the Olympics :D

Guys gotta have a TV in the shop. I made fun of dad when he first did it....now I have one in my little garage at home.
If I'm in the garage, the TV is on...even if its just turned to one of the DirecTV classic rock channel 8)
I don't always show my signature. But when I do, it's in this area.
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

love that garage!

and agree with the TV, i dont have one, but the guy that im building the motor with does, saturday we had deliverence on...

...dueling banjo's are sick...
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

So what is the latest? Sorry to hear about the arm problems, ever thought about making them?
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Yea the last few days sent me into a bit of a tailspin. Hard to concentrate on something else when I want the arm issue ironed out.

Spent a bit of the today talking about making them....I can't really see how people measure the arms yet, so trying to start from scratch...I don't know.

Maybe after some more research. I really don't know that the arms are actually equal length? Uppers and lowers must have some offset in them for camber, but exactly how much? It has been a long time since I mounted a set of arms, but I seem to remember clamping a straight edge on the end and measuring the offset to determine the shimming? Does that sound right? Details...Details...Details.

I am sure we have the tools and the talent to figure it all out...But I am ready to tack the beam in and mock up some tie rods and move forward on the front of the cage. I don't want to spend the next couple weeks machining the parts for a jig. Let alone making the components for the arms. And that is after we figure out how to make them. Nah probably not gonna make them myself.

Last weekend I did get the new main cage sides built and they fit better this time. :DAlso did get all of the tunnel stripped of it's future rattles....Man them little German factory workers must have had some small hands, to get all of those tubes in the tunnel :lol:

I think that tomorrow I will tackle the rock slider/body lift portion of the cage. Maybe try to get the body sitting on cage instead of resting on the table...we'll see.

Just watched the USA Win Bobsled Gold after 62 years... Yea baby
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Moving forward with these +4 arms! Full write-up on them on the 2-1/2 vs 4 arm thread.

Don't know when I will move forward...

Schedule has been crazy lately. Job site is 98 miles from the house, little league baseball, meetings w/ potential clients.... Doesn't leave much time for the baja project. It's that dang "Time Money" thing again

I sure didn't mean for the arm issue to kill the momentum like that... but it did. :evil: Glad to have it behind me...I hope.

Thanks to all, for the words of encouragement, especially to Denny (Baja5) In a PM he kinda told me to be patient and take my time and figure it out. Thanks again.

I'm off to a meeting...
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

"It'll get there" :P

I almost had my baja on the road two years ago, so I bought plates and tabs, I've still got just over 4 miles on it. :|

Anyway, those are some sharp looking arms...what do they say, "a stitch in time..."
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

WOO HOO, I got to steal a couple hours to play with new parts. That will always lift a guys spirits.

So who can guess what this is?

I will give you a hint....We made 4 of them...

Anybody?

Anybody?

Yea, a set of temp bushings, so I can weld to my beam without melting the real ones and more importantly without having to take it all apart each time I need to weld to it. They are pretty close tolerance so I should be able to bolt everything up true. Then I can get the suspension to cycle accurately before I set the rack for bumpsteer.

What do you guys think?

I do not plan on welding a lot up against them, for fear of not being able to get them out, after the inner wall of the beam deforms from the welding heat. But I should be able tack and tack well...I think?
Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

I thought they were beer holders.
I don't always show my signature. But when I do, it's in this area.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

you should have gotten the chrome trailing arms.......
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Big Dave wrote:I thought they were beer holders.
And hear I thought I had come up with a good idea...but no YOU are the one with the good idea :D

Seriously, I want to know if we think this is actually going to work? :shock:
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

bajaherbie wrote:you should have gotten the chrome trailing arms.......
C'mon, I am on a budget here.
I cant afford that kind bling, heck these were not even in the budget.