Tim's Green Bug...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
no1clyde

Re: Tim's Green Bug...

Post by no1clyde »

Right away Brandon but it being in a tube frame car and I could stand next to the car and turn the key off and watch things helped in the bug it may have taken a little longer.

Ed
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

You could have a flat spot on the commutator of the fan motor. Put a low amp probe on it and monitor the current waveform.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Oscilloscope. That would be a novel tool.

I can measure frequency... Does that help?
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Today I assembled the last of my "protein kit", which includes emergency protein and a combo shotgun/rifle. I was going to mount my AR to the roof inside, but decided against it right now.

But... the bug will not be doing daily driver duty this winter. I have another car that is depreciating and needing used that I will use.

Here it sits until spring.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Combo Shotgun/Rifle, hmmm. Parked until spring, that's sad, good thing there is more then one.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Exactly. This is part of my plan to switch gears and work on my daughter's race bug in the garage this winter. This will be the first time my race car hasn't been stored in the garage in almost five years.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Hmmmmm...Looks familiar. Like an ad I've seen recently. Baja/Subaru.

My grandfather used to have a Savage-Stevens 410/22. Not high power. Not good for deer. Good for rabbits, squirrels, etc.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
TimS

Post by TimS »

The .22/.410 is exactly what I have. I recognized the weakness for moderate sized game, so I bought some .410" slugs. The store guy was surprised they even had such a thing, but he found them on his shelf for over $1 per round. Other than testing, I don't expect to use the slugs often, but should be satisfactory if absolutely needed. I like that it is super light. That I can pack spare ammo for fun time without a ton of weight. I also found a video that shows a decent survival kit packed into the empty compartments of the gun, which would make this a easy grab and go safety net with only a 3 lb penalty.

The most likely survival protein in my range of adventure is rabbit, grouse, or squirrels, but antelope, deer, moose, and elk are possible but not ideal because of storage concerns.

My sidearm is also part of this kit, too.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

I have a Savage .22/20 gauge for the same type of thing, I bought it new when I was 14. I had a job at 13 back then and bought it and a 30/30 and a Yamaha 80 working as a bus boy in the Exchange Club in Beatty :D

Ed
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

That time of year Tim. things thawing out? getting into those places you like to go play?
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
TimS

Post by TimS »

IMG_20170423_180256612-1-800x477.jpg
Yes. Took my annual spring run on the usual route. Things feel better than I remember. Trails were so nice I dropped by the neighbors house at 7pm on a Thursday and told him he "needed" to go for a ride and I did "the test loop" again. Goal in the near term is fixing rust holes and figuring out why two of my tires have slow leaks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I had one tire that was consistently going down every 4-5 days so I put this stop leak ( not slime )which also conditions the tires ( they say) in all four, haven't touched them since.
TimS

Post by TimS »

What brand? Can't do slime like stuff because highway car.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I found it from work, we deal with a lot of thorns from Mesquite trees. I talked with the lady who owns the company, she said one of the big wigs running the Baja 500 used it.I will get it for you,
TimS

Post by TimS »

Thanks. I'd be curious to know, but honestly will likely end up with inner tubes.