Tim's Green Bug...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
no1clyde

Re: Tim's Green Bug...

Post by no1clyde »

I will go on the EIA again :D

I too will not use a roof rack for those reasons and also it would block air to my radiator.

My car worked pretty good packing for 2 but things can be better for sure and I am looking at ways to improve my setup too.

To me it looked like your car was working very well on the trip :D

Ed
TimS

Post by TimS »

I have known for a while that my radiator setup is not ideal.

I am also getting closer to justifying the effort to relocate the radiator.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Collapsible water jugs are a good option I've used many times in my Bajas. I have frozen water in them for trips before, which has at times worked well. Damp air can cause some odd results inside the car with frozen water jugs though. I insulate them and ice chests with moving pads. One option for on board water to consider would be to use a small aluminum or poly gas tank (obviously needs to be marked as "WATER").
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
TimS

Post by TimS »

Or PVC! If I can get 6" PVC locally I could probably make a 4-5 gallon tank pretty easily and have the adapters to plumb it externally or remotely.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

black and white pvc, hot and cold
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

big pvc tends to be blue i have some 10" and its like a teal blue and the black is abs i believe
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Tim, I have some 6" PVC you can have. Or Ductile Iron if you prefer. ;)
TimS

Post by TimS »

Okay. Please set some aside. I need about 40" or less. Would you have access to caps, too, by chance?

Thanks.
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

Just got back from out of town so a bit late to this thread. I'd do the EIA again.
bajaherbie

Re: RE: Re: Tim's Green Bug...

Post by bajaherbie »

TimS wrote:Okay. Please set some aside. I need about 40" or less. Would you have access to caps, too, by chance?

Thanks.
40 feet? Haha

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Have any cement mortar coated and lined Kyle?

Blue to green is PVC. White is also PVC in smaller sizes. Black is ABS, intended for waste water. Purple is PVC for recycled (used) water. Gray is for electrical. All of it will work for a water tank in an adventure vehicle.
Richard
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

I have the blue stuff, no caps. Not sure they make caps for C900, actually. I might have some 6" irrigation pipe which would be lighter anyway and you can get caps for that stuff.
TimS

Post by TimS »

That would work better. Sounds like.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

The blue/green C900 water main pipe is definitely 0-2-thick wall for your application. But you could pressurize it! Of course, you could also pressurize irrigation pipe up to about 125psi. It too will be thick wall. Just not as thick or heavy as water main pipe.
Richard
Retired Fabricator
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Tim,
How do you like your basic wider beam front end setup? I'm going to go your route most likely. Perhaps build my own at 3 or 4 inch wide not full six. Did you run into anything getting used to it? I know you had 20k+ miles on your stock width setup so I presume going wider took a bit of adjusting to . Is the ride any better or just the stability from the width?