Tim's Green Bug...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
TimS

Re: Tim's Green Bug...

Post by TimS »

IMG_20170826_204637918-450x800.jpg
I finally got my front shocks rebuild last night. It's more like an oil change and a tube up with the magic snake oil. Also changed the engine oil and filter. I was down a half quart since last year, so I will have to keep a better eye on it.

I also did the seam sealing and picked up all the broken glass. Just a little wiring and the interior is done. I may put a second screw in my little yellow bucket because it's loose.

It's nice having four shocks. I did my test loop last evening. I have definitely got some good test mines on it since the rear end work. It looks good from the inside and I will be inspecting the outside.

My list is getting smaller.

I still have a driveline vibration. I have narrowed it down to rear bearings or CV. I have inspected the fronts. I thought it could have been the tires being cupped because it's not really a pavement car anymore, but the vibration goes away when turning left.

Brake line up front, shoes if I feel like it.

After that, I'll be ready to go but can find things to improve... like heat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Cool pic Tim, yes your going to need some heat or heat would be nice.
TimS

Post by TimS »

I got the vibration fixed.

I had been trying to pinpoint it, and it got louder on Saturday. Right rear. The noise was unrelated, a broken brake spring, but I found a loose inner wheel bearing.

It's good as new now. I touched up the other side, too.

I'm happy to have that narrowed down because I can now call my rear end done.

My focus now will be front end shims, brakes, and alignment. Possibly heat of I have time.

Then it will be time to start packing for the trip.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Just finished the Eastern Utah Adventure... viewtopic.php?f=28&t=149875

The bug is better than it ever has been before. The rear end rebuild and bracing has made a world of difference. It is now significantly stiffer and mostly rattle free. I ended up not using my intercom for most of the trip and listened to music on my Bluetooth speaker and listened to the VHF from the radio speaker.

My philosophy in driving this trip is that as long as I stayed off the bump stops too much, I would be fine. The bug is smooth as can be on the highspeed stuff and can soak up the bumps quite well. Steering was dead nuts perfect. The shock rebuild really helped stick to the road. I know the front end has some flex in the yaw axis. I like that it does, but know it will fatigue over time.

Engine was great. Sips gas as usual. The exhaust brackets on both sides cracked. The left side exhaust cracked and is held together by wire right now.

As far as tools and spares. This is the best I've been equipped in that department, but this is one of the areas I would like to improve upon.

Tools are mostly good. Maybe add a few extras like stitching kit for tires, and misc.

As far as spare parts, I need to balance the weight with the function.

Straight off the trailer and ready for another three nights in the bush, the bug weighs 2620 lbs. That is 980 (37%) front and 1640 (63%) rear with me installed (215 lbs.) and a half tank of fuel.

I feel I can budget a 100lb increase to be more adventure worthy. This would include lightening some of my current camp and cook setup.

That gives me quite a few options for increasing capability.

Necessity items that are relatively lightweight...

Stub axle
Stub axle nut
bearings front rear
brake lines
CV
CV bolts
CV boots
CV grease
Lug bolts/nuts
hack saw
file
spark plugs and wires
idler pully
timing belt
alternator belt
radiator hoses
radiator repair?
tube/tire stitch
clutch
throw-out bearing
Front spindle nut and lock washer
clutch hook
clutch cable
throttle cable
oil

Heavier items...

Spindle
drum front rear?
front arm set
alternator

I want to utilize space outside of the cargo areas, so under the rear tray near the battery and the heater, then in the passenger foot rest, then also under the seats.

Otherwise fix exhaust, do some rrewiring of the turn signals and fans, and I will be ready for another year of fun.

Edit. Add rear mounted jack, brake fluid, power steering
Last edited by TimS on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TimS

Post by TimS »

IMG_20171006_123046353_HDR-800x450.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Oh, and the best part is I was never on a strap and never has to be pushed as far as I remember.
Thesatelliteguy

Post by Thesatelliteguy »

Tim, your rocking 3x5's in thr back right? I think its about time to start thinking about building up the rear suspension.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

What's the latest Tim?
TimS

Post by TimS »

Steve Arndt wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:31 am What's the latest Tim?
https://youtu.be/yxufnCUnUZE

Need new trans side seal.

Made it to California and back. Mojave trail, death valley, naked people, hot springs.

Bug amazes me every time I drive it. I feel as though it should have fallen apart years ago. Especially with how much I push the limits of it.

After repairing trans, it should be good to go for another season. Might get the cv's regreased for the first time since install.

Still need to do some front end strengthening.

Work is comsuming me lately, but I'm making progress towards retirement.

I've got my money's worth out of the bug by far, so this is all for free. :)
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Do you mean output flange seals?
TimS

Post by TimS »

Yes. The plastic piece behind the CV is displaced and a bunch of oil fell out all at once.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Appletree has a dealio you might like.

https://www.appletreeauto.com/URETHANE- ... G-5048-10/
TimS

Post by TimS »

Thanks leather. The seal is deeper than that... Outside of the flange even.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

TimS wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:10 am Thanks leather. The seal is deeper than that... Outside of the flange even.
Any chance of a pic? Mine is gone, beat out too. Wondering if same you are talking about.