Tim's Green Bug...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
TimS

Re: Tim's Green Bug...

Post by TimS »

Back end seems good, so I will focus up front first. Need to order brake lines, pads. Probably just stick with these wrights combo spindles for now. Should be plenty strong.

Apparently I am missing some link pin shims because the link pins are not tightening. When I inspect and redo the front I plan to replace the link pins with bolt on kind. I have had then for a while, just never got around to it. Oh, and to make matters worse, my hook labeled "link pin shims" went from about 40 shims to zero, so I might have to clean the garage before too long.

I drove today with the old 30" highway tread bias ply tires. As much as I hate to, I'm probably going to get into a bias ply up front. I will probably keep a spare set of the smaller radials for daily driving if I ever need to daily drive it again. I need the radius but I don't need the stiffness or the weight.

I still need to do some rearranging and mounting of stuff, like the jack. I have the permanent tools loaded. I plan to minimize my "permanent luggage" for weight and utilize more "trip specific" loading options. That way I can be lift and fast when I want and RV mode when I want.

Went for a ride loaded as you see and really gave it hell with the 30" front tires and low weight. Really felt nice.
IMG_20170730_161300214_HDR-800x450.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Oh, and sheet metal work went so well that I may try to divide, deliniate and define some storage areas if I have time. I'm liking what I am seeing overall with the progress.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

Looking good Tim. I can't wait to ride with the green. Uh again.
TimS

Post by TimS »

takotruckin wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:30 pm Looking good Tim. I can't wait to ride with the green. Uh again.
Ditto with the orange super beetle. I'm going to try to stay lightweight this year, minimize the camp stuff to maximize the spirited driving.
petew

Post by petew »

TimS wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:09 pm Back end seems good, so I will focus up front first. Need to order brake lines, pads. Probably just stick with these wrights combo spindles for now. Should be plenty strong.

Apparently I am missing some link pin shims because the link pins are not tightening. When I inspect and redo the front I plan to replace the link pins with bolt on kind. I have had then for a while, just never got around to it. Oh, and to make matters worse, my hook labeled "link pin shims" went from about 40 shims to zero, so I might have to clean the garage before too long.

I drove today with the old 30" highway tread bias ply tires. As much as I hate to, I'm probably going to get into a bias ply up front. I will probably keep a spare set of the smaller radials for daily driving if I ever need to daily drive it again. I need the radius but I don't need the stiffness or the weight.

I still need to do some rearranging and mounting of stuff, like the jack. I have the permanent tools loaded. I plan to minimize my "permanent luggage" for weight and utilize more "trip specific" loading options. That way I can be lift and fast when I want and RV mode when I want.

Went for a ride loaded as you see and really gave it hell with the 30" front tires and low weight. Really felt nice.

IMG_20170730_161300214_HDR-800x450.jpg
I like that you installed a microwave in the firewall. Popcorn! :lol:
TimS

Post by TimS »

You got a rare glimpse under my skirt, Pete. Usually those goodies are hidden under a wool blanket.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Love it Tim! Sorry about the sidetrack but way to bring us round.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
TimS

Post by TimS »

IMG_20170731_204757907_crop_590x590.jpg
It took less than 5 minutes digging through the junk pile to find some shims. Redid the right side last night. I think i rode all of the EBA with about 1/8-1/4 inch of slack on my lower link pins, so this should feel a ton better when I'm done. I hope to do the other side this evening after work if it's not too hot.

On the link pin bolts/nuts. I may forgo that upgrade until I replace the arms because I would have to grind a small portion of the stock arm and I don't have the confidence to do so without creating added stress to the metal. To replace the front arms (which I have three sets now) I would have to do to a center steer to keep wheel travel. And if I'm going to do that I might as well push the beam forward and use the longer arms, so I will stick to what o have and just inspect/prep.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimS

Post by TimS »

I got the link pin shims done and everything tight. After 50 miles of dirt, it seems like I made some progress in preciseness. The alignment needs some serious work, I'm toed out up front and not sure what's going on in the rear, I think it's toe out. I am not looking forward to find the sweet spot again. Front will be a simple measure and drive, but back took me a few tries last time of small adjustments for feel.

I'm back to the little tires on nice rims because the race car rims we're way out of round and had a nasty wobble. It really isn't that bad with the little tires but a few extra inches of ground clearance wouldn't hurt.

I mounted a fire extinguisher. Should make Herbie happy because last time we needed one gasoline was pouring over the exhaust. This is the mount from the race car that Cameron got me for Christmas one year. I chose to mount it here because it's kind of accessible but kind of out of the way. But mostly because the seat will keep it from vibrating and rattling. It will also keep my "garbage bin" from overflowing. I hope to keep the whole side under the rear shelf for garbage except for possibly the tire repair kit and air compressor. I would really like garbage storage on the driver's rear fender, but I haven't found the method there yet.
IMG_20170801_211407170-450x800.jpg
I still need to pack my toolbox and get a final weight. It will be a full STF Adventure approved compliment of tools mounted sturdily to something.

I used my axe to cut off a nice piece of ponderosa pine bark that i would like to use for a sun visor. It will make more sense if I ever get it done.

That is all. I'm down to working 8 hour days so I find I have lots of free time and energy.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Oh, and I found out that the lumbar support in the seat got adjusted when I pulled it out. I readjusted it and things feel good again. I'm still not happy about riding 1" higher and might find a way to lower the seat sometime.
petew

Post by petew »

TimS wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:39 pm I'm still not happy about riding 1" higher and might find a way to lower the seat sometime.
Just wind the back suspension down a few splines. Failing that, let the tyres down. :wink:
TimS

Post by TimS »

IMG_20170802_192653758_HDR-800x450.jpg
TimS

Post by TimS »

That good thought. My bump stops seem nice and strong now, so a little less ride height in the rear could be good. I got plenty of droop either way.

I definitely like 1/4" toe in up front off road. I'll probably end up around 1/8" to balance tire wear and drivability. But it is responsive as heck right now.

My rear is towed in by 1/4" which surprises me. The right side is actually shorter wheelbase than the left by around 1/4", so I may have not move it back enough. Not sure how much room I have on the spring plate, but the rear end will be examined in due time.

Here is where I so as I'm typing this.
TimS

Post by TimS »

This will be my new baseline almost. I got full tools, air compressor, tire repair, winter wear, rain gear, chair and shade tucked in beside the roll cage. First aid kit is currently under the hood. The toolbox is heavier than I thought it'd be. It has full set of wrenches and full set of sockets with hammer, spare stub axle, and the works. My baseline also includes tow strap, a full sized axe, shovel, bow saw, machete, knife, cup holder and insulated can holder. My first aid kit also doubles as an easy grab survival kit.
IMG_20170802_200309913-800x450.jpg
I needed some weight in it to test the suspension some more, this is what was handy. It definitely improved the ride height and balanced the front and rear better. I think my rear shocks need some serious attention. Not enough rebound control and making funny noises.
IMG_20170802_200625635-450x800.jpg
I am going to experiment with a spare tire here. If that works I will put a real spare there with aluminum rim.
IMG_20170802_212909498-800x450.jpg
I spent a few hours looking at storage options and what not. I think the grill might go away in favor of storage boxes. Not sure. Anything is possible. Realistically I have tons of room inside and might just try to clean up and streamline the outside. I am also considering sleeping inside. Dunno. Just having fun at this point. I really need to clean up the rear end and move the radiator up.

And as much as people didn't like by aluminum fold up cots, with a little care they are serviceable and are about 1/3 of the weight of the ones I have now. I may mount the cot on the ceiling in the back.

And :oops: I even put the spare tire on the roof to see if I liked it there. Nope. Still a hard pill to swallow for me dirtying up the roof.

Front camber on the left needs to tip in a shim or two.

Slowly plugging away at things. Two months to go.
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

Looks good Tim, but I don't think you need 3 spares in the back. Lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing