Steve Arndt baja build project

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Steve Arndt

Re: Steve Arndt baja build project

Post by Steve Arndt »

The wheels are 15x5 centerlines.

The handling did get worse when I went from worn out 30x9.5 to new 31x10.5. The tire shop really gave me bad/odd looks when I asked for a 10 inch tire on a 5 inch wheel. I gave the guy a tip because he had to work his butt off to get them over the rim bead. I really don't want to invest in new wheels but may have to.

My handling complaints are highway type driving. It does great on dirt roads.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

:shock: holy crud dood., that ain't safe. You need to weld the tire on the rim with that W to T ratio. I'm surprised the tire even seals with what was done. With the odd angle of the tires seals on the rim corners or side winds are going to be potentially dangerous, just at the worst or wrong time ....
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Lots of guys run 3.5 inch wheels with these tires. Probably not a lot of highway miles though.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Back, many years ago, wider rims were not as available or the prices were quite high but guys were doing stuff like this with what the had so I saw a lot of what could happen. I remember seeing a guy trying to lay some rubber down but the tire spun on the rim and the whole thing just dropped. I also have seen the results of hard corners being taken and even with the older stiff walled tires the bead would pull and back on the ground again.

You guys are all friends and I don't like to hear of friends hurt or worse.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

The "feel" I get is like the car is pushed abruptly by a strong side wind. Then I have to catch it and put it back online. I can post a copy of my alignment sheet. The new steering box made a massive difference in feel and confidence. I haven't taken many high speed runs since I crashed the car a year and a half ago. I'm just getting all the bugs worked out (hopefully).

I only have 2 degrees of caster and can't easily add shims but I don't think I need to. It doesn't dart around like a lowered bug without caster shims, and the car sits level. It is stable on the steering input.

Any help or things to check guys?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

After I broke two steering boxes in one short day I bought a TRW steering box and it had been OK since then. I also learned that on the dunes with the sun directly overhead is not the best of ideas :roll: .

Lee
smiley

Post by smiley »

What pressures do you run the front tyres are Steve??

Smiley :)
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Wow, tires balanced and 4 wheel alignment, WOW! I am jealous. My alignment is either Stanley or some other tape measure. Nice!
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

700x15 fronts at 25 psi for the street.
31x10.5 rear at 29 psi on the street.

I tried lower rear pressure when I first got the new rear rubber mounted and it swayed and moved around even worse.

I had some toe out on one side in the rear before the alignment. The improvement in handling at higher speed on dirt roads is great. It wanted to come around on me and was an over steering hand full. Much more controllable now. It handles really nice on dirt, and better on the street, just gets blown around and I'm constantly recovering to keep it centered when going fast on the highway.
WooleyNelson

Post by WooleyNelson »

try about 19 psi in the front, see if that helps
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

my 31 x 10.5s are also on 5 inch wheels.... but they are beadlock, I had to buy some long bolts to get the ring close enough for the supplied bolts.

gpt a steering stabilizer?
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
smiley

Post by smiley »

Yeah. I was running lower than that on the front of mine. Something around 16-18psi usually in 225/75/16s. Maybe try dropping them and trying that?

And I think an extra degree or two of castor would definitely help too. Mine had a bit of an issue before I rolled it and pulled it apart. The front beam had actually started to bend the bottom of the framehead and my beam supports, and twist the bottom of the beam towards the back of the car. This was eliminating my castor, giving me some wandering and wobbles at certain speeds.

Smiley :)
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Yes on sterring damper.
Has 2 degrees caster now. May add more but.my beam braces and tie ins are the hang up.
Will try lower front psi.
I have it back at the alignment shop next door. Six pack of.blue moon beer gets me a Re check for credit.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Thanks for the help friends. Forgot to say it.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

I know it is not easy but I think I would add some more caster.

Ed