Rusty's Return to Life... A build page.

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
TimS

Rusty's Return to Life... A build page.

Post by TimS »

STF'ers, meet Rusty. Rusty, meet your surgical team.
comming home-1.jpg
I found this car online for $250. I told the wife that "I'm going to pick up some VW parts." It was running and driving around when I got there, but as part of the deal, the PO kept the engine and the original '62 front seats. It was nice to meet a new VW nut; I think I'm starting to fit in the "nut" category. Last night, as Rusty was following me home, I was really second guessing my decision. I justified it because 1. I wanted to get a spare set of rims anyway, 2. I didn't wat to take my green car apart this winter in case I didn't finish by spring, 3. has an unbroken windshield, 4. It has a back seat. As soon as I got home, my 8 year old says, "It's Rusty!", hence the name.

So I slept light, wondering if I could find the motivation to dig into another project, until about 5:00 this morning when my 8 year old came jumping on the bed, "Let's clean out the garage!!". The spark in her eyes was all I needed to justify the purchase. We fired up the burn barrel and started to clean the summer clutter. Then unloaded Rusty off the trailer.

Hopefully tonight I can document it's "original" state. Maybe do some cleaning.

The GOAL is unclear... Will this be a 5/1600 race car? Maybe. Will this be a mild get-around car for the kids? Maybe. Will this be the pan and body that marries my current project? Maybe. All is up in the air right now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
Leatherneck

Re: Rusty's Return to Life... A build page.

Post by Leatherneck »

Any serious cancer on it? looks like a good score for sure. The spark in your sons eye was worth the purchase price, but do you really need a 8 year old to tell you your garage needs cleaning out? Let us know what you come up with. Congrats
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Nice Tim 8)

Looks like you got a little piece of the storm that got me last night also.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

Nice score! Loks like a good start to a new project. Just make sure the body is solid before making any plans. Replacing rust is very tedious and time consuming. Just ask me how I know :D

Its been raining here, but its supposed to turn to snow this afternoon.
I don't always show my signature. But when I do, it's in this area.
birddog1148

Post by birddog1148 »

Nice
TimS

Post by TimS »

Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
TimS

Post by TimS »

TimS

Post by TimS »

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

Other than some hideous color and material choices, it looks good :D
I don't always show my signature. But when I do, it's in this area.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Big Dave wrote:Other than some hideous color and material choices, it looks good :D
At least it's not flourescent green, blue and yellow! That would be horrible. :D

All the rubber is soft, like someone had it apart not too long ago. The wiring is immaculate. The passenger compartment is all sealed up with silicone? Usual rust at the back of the heater channels, will have to investigate further. Floor pans look servicable, expecially if I go the 5/1600 route.

When the snow melts off, I'll take some pictures of the body work.
DesertGuy

Post by DesertGuy »

What's all that white stuff all over the car...never seen that?

Wife is always wanting to move to Meridian...after seeing those pics...perhaps not.
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Let's see the dash. The corner looks like brass? Uniquely cool if so.
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

Nice find! That thing looks like it's in great shape, especially for the price! Somebody took their time when they built that car, maybe 15-20 years ago? Very cool.
Karl

DON'T QUIT
winifredevw

Post by winifredevw »

I think you got a deal! That wiring does look nice.