Rusty's Return to Life... A build page.

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
ajdenette

Re: Rusty's Return to Life... A build page.

Post by ajdenette »

Cant wait to see some progress on this Father Daughter build!
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
TimS

Post by TimS »

Decent progress was made yesterday. More today. Warming up the garage now.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

That's great Tim.....your shop is cleaner than mine by a long ways LOL.

Ed
TimS

Post by TimS »

The interior cleaning and prep was holding up any more progress on the cage. It was a long, messy, stinky, labor intensive weekend with chisels, pics, wire brushes, sandpaper, acetone and primer. We got fresh primer on the interior minus 2/3 of the roof because my arms are like jello.

I'll edit a picture in here as soon as the spray paint settles. Not overly impressive for 12 man hours and 6 teenager hours, but they were well spent between working and watching the baja 1000.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Good progress, nice and clean. Good clean slate to build upon.. Your daughter and you did well.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Getting the old glue off the headliner area is a royal PITA for sure.

On my roof I installed dynamat first, then my headliner man glued reflextix up onto the roof, then inserted the headliner blows and headliner. It is nice and cool in the sun hot sun now, and quiet.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

That looks nice. I hate body work even though I have done some.

Ed
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

looks like you got a good start.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Steve Arndt wrote:Getting the old glue off the headliner area is a royal PITA for sure.

On my roof I installed dynamat first, then my headliner man glued reflextix up onto the roof, then inserted the headliner blows and headliner. It is nice and cool in the sun hot sun now, and quiet.
Good info to know
TimS

Post by TimS »

I think we are going more of a race car build for now with thought put into being able to convert back. Converting to a DD will be a significant effort.

I am contemplating taking the windows out of the doors but know that there is not an easy route back if we change our minds.

Seems I like to just think about things, but it also nice to have the time to think. Right now thinking that getting a rolling chassis is the next logical step. It will be somewhat like a time lapse film of gathering parts and filling in the blanks.

Today I cleaned up the garage and the bug in preparation for the next work day... maybe front end, maybe rear end. I will see which parts are easier to find.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Tim, welcome to the "what the ..." club. So many things to do and which order do I do them in then add to that how far do I go and when should I do this or that (not the quite the same as "which order") etc.. Right now I have 4 or 5 projects in process each of which affects some or all of the others.

As you seem to be aware of, trade off has to be settled before you get too much farther. Once made then you have to draw the line and mark it with a "no trespass" sign.

I think I would finish off cleaning and protecting the body and, if it isn't to be stored outside, make a wheeled dolly for it, move it to the side and get to work on the pan and suspension. This way any out of the ordinary changes to the pan which could dictate what you are going to do with a lot of things that affect the body isn't going to get you into as much trouble as if you go too far ahead on the body and have to start cutting things up.

It is so nice not to have the body in the way when working on the pan... for sure, for sure! My rotisserie made things so handy and the pan ended up being at a level where I could sit or rotate the pan at times when doing some things. Makes the detail work so much easier and you don't feel so rushed (that is not always a good thing when a few days work gets stretched out to 20 years :roll: :shock: )

Just stating the obvious in-case it helps.

Lee
TimS

Post by TimS »

Thanks Lee. Good thoughts.

I had been searching for peace in the plan when I realized all of the things that are really pointing me.

The weights spindles, the weight rack, vintage +1 arms, tyoe iii brakes, everything has pointed to this car as a vintage racer restoration. And the parts keep finding me. In fact, there is hardly anything I need to buy, per se. I think I have just about everything to complete this build.

I am temped, however, to get the reduction box swing axle trans that my neighbor has sitting in his yard, but IRS will be better.

This car has a strong vintage spirit. Can't kill it. A lot of responsibility here.

We have been collecting glass fuses and we have quite a selection. I was dreaming yesterday of seeing the fuse box polished up and looking new again with the brass screws and aluminum plates and glass fuses.

Happy Thanksgiving.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Dusty, when you read this, I had a question about what kind of arms they used when they were using wright spindles. And about what vintage that was.
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

Tim, early 5/1600 +1 rear arms were lengthened stock reinforcecd arms. Ive seen it done 2 ways. One is at the inner pivot and the other is about in the middle of the arm. Sorry dont have any pics.
Camerons +2 stock rear arms are a good place to look to see another option on how to lengthen stock arms..