Tim went racing...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Devastator

Re: Tim went racing...

Post by Devastator »

I hope you got more done than that post. :)
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
TimS

Post by TimS »

Yes. Should be on it's wheels tonight.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Well? Inquiring minds want to know.
TimS

Post by TimS »

16 days to go!!
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Sorry for lack of updates. It's been really crazy here.

Here is the run down of my plans. Car is getting a complete prep, nothing exciting, just time and money. My goal this race is to experiment with a sustainable "business plan" where I can expect certain investment to yield certain results. In other words, I hope that I've become smart enough to invest in the things that matter and not waste time or money on things that don't. I hope to run a "flawless" race. Flawless is relative, but with the amount of time and money I invested (which is not a lot, quite honestly), I want to see a good performance at the track. IF I can make this work, and show a satisfactory performance, I will be looking into BAP in 2016. Historically, there have been difficulties with every race... Shifter, vision, engine, tires, carb, ignition, etc. etc. etc... My hope is that I have solved those issues, or at least decreased their probability of being a problem to the point that I'm comfortable investing time and energy into the bigger, and more costly, events.

I don't know if all that makes sense, but this race I will be racing against me. My performance, in whole, will be a subjective opinion by me of the level of success of a number of different goals, one of which is being fast, but not the most important.

I appreciate all the well wishes and support over the years that have got me to this point.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Just juggle the speed, equipment durability and driving ability. Keep all those going in the same direction and you will be fine.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Looking forward to checking out the car and also the race format.

Ed
TimS

Post by TimS »

Let's hope the heat wave doesn't hit on race day.
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

You call that a heat wave?

106 here tomorrow.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Good thing I live in the desert where it isn't so hot. 97 here in the high desert manana. Rained some yesterday and today. Nice rainbow as the sun set.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
TimS

Post by TimS »

I was in the owyhee desert in 110 degree heat. I would say that is pushing my limits of enjoyment without adding another technological crutch, like cold water, ice or a/c.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Work continues. I have another day off today and hope to have everything perfected to behind the driver's seat. Next week I'll work on the engine and related systems. Today will include some dust-intrusion management of the cockpit.

I did find my ignition switch was at the verge of failure. I replaced it with the best I could find locally, but need to get a better switch. Electrical will be a more in depth subject for the next prep.

Jetting. I think I'll go one smaller on the jet. I remember Jackpot where I had no top end, this race is similar altitude.

Brakes should be good. I prepped the brake pads even. Don't ask... We'll see if it works.

Otherwise still plugging away... Moments of fun combined with moments of frustration. Mostly fun.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Just a thought. Why doesn't anyone make finned push rod tubes for cooling? Is there not enough oil passing through to justify it? Does the tube already dissipate enough heat with the oil coming through? Strength issues?

Just curious if anyone else has thought this.

I get 3.5 hours to spend on the race car today in preparation for racing on July 2. Hopefully prep in record time.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

stock pushrod tubes are finned some.

But they have HOT air blowing over them so they are oil heaters not coolers
TimS

Post by TimS »

True thanks.