Report from the southern Oregon Dunes

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Report from the southern Oregon Dunes

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Back down at the dunes. Weather is forecast to be good at least into mid-next week. Left early in the am to get through Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia, Portland and other traffic jam areas. Ran into one traffic problem in southern Portland on 205. Ran into spotty rain when going over the coastal range via the highway between Drain, Elkton, Scottsburg and Reedsport.

Warning: I forgot to mention in previous posts here that there is a stop and go light at night, and flagged during the day with a one lane available section of the highway between Scottsdale and Reedsport... so beware and prepared. It is posted with signage very well ahead of the work area. There are backups as each direction takes its turn at the one lane section of the road. I think the creek coming down the mountain either compromised the overpass or bridge so they are boring holes to put footings down for new roadway.

Saw a lot of rigs on the road heading down to the dune area plus a lot of camping trailers heading to Hwy 101/the coastal highway. Bicyclers' are out already on highway 101; instead of walking their bikes over the Coos bay bridge like they are supposed to they ride across so traffic get slowed down to a few miles an hour so pack your patience and be prepared.

The camping spots are filling up quickly so be sure to have a reservation would be my advice.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

For the last few days the wind has been up probably gusting to 20+ knots or more depending on where you are. Quiet in the morning and quieting down in the evening.

The riders on the dune seem to be driving in groups with singletons or doubles in between. We are close enough to hear them. I don't recommend going out by yourself at all. Too many "what the heck"s can happen like when most of the CV bolts on the inner right hand CV dropped off just after I torqued them in place or the day I broke two steering boxes just a few hundred feet after getting out on the dunes.

An on-shore fog has blown in this am. It comes in, and either blows to the west or draws back onto the dunes. It looked like it was going to burn off a while ago but has filled back in again. The wind has just come back up so that will be interesting to say the least.

People might be leaving a day early, especially those who came in early so to get a spot or beat the traffic. Beating the tomorrow traffic is probably the thing going on or some are waiting until Tuesday... we'll see on that.

Got most of my known "to do" work done now it is the newly found stuff and clean up that has to be done.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Had to go into town today for some repair parts and an angle finder. On the way back we stopped at Mom's Kitchen aka Mom's) where they do breakfast and lunch the old fashion way. Slower than some but then they cook each table meal one at a time.

While we were in there I was sitting so I could watch HWY 101 and it was packed. Motorhomes, camping trailers, toy trailers, car trailers (both probably for day use) and ambulances going and coming. When we left the sun had come out in town but the weather front line was angle in-land. Coming into town all the camping places we could see were packed so I suspect the ones we could see were also. I also suspect, based on what we saw coming into the area that day use was overflow too.

At Horsfall there was a fence on the south end of Box Car Hill. Usually that has meant that the warden of Box Car was feuding with the private campground next to the park or there was some kind of special event going on. Either... maybe or maybe not but if it is the same Ranger that was in charge a few years ago then he would put. Hitler or Mussolini to shame... the arrogant putz. Anyway, next to the fence, at the ridge was packed with toys of all kinds.

The dunes as far was we went north are packed and I mean packed. The only quiet times seem to be just before the sirens come in :roll: :wink: (since we have no view it makes some sadistic sense :twisted: ).

Anyway: most, seem to be having a good time.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The sun is out and the wind is gusting but not as much as the last few days. About noon the noise on the dunes started to subside as the duners packed up to head back home. I saw a few and they looked pretty tired but happy to get the sand out of their systems... at least for a few days.

Lee
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Heading that direction in a couple of weeks. Not for the dunes though....

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Where? We will be back down there around the 4th.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Floras Lake.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

~38 to 50 miles (depending) south of where we are. I think it is fairly close to Bandon where there is great golf as I remember.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Back at the dunes. On the road and just over 400 miles later we are here. Cloudy when we left, got some misty rain on the way down. Just south of Salem OR got into a traffic block. By the time we got to the problem we found it was a wreck. No sure if it was a one or more car wreck but they were loading a car onto the wrecker. They had to cut the top off the car to extract who ever was in there.

The replacement bridge on hwy 38 between Drain and Reedsport, just after Wilsonville has come a long way but it is still a one lane controlled short section of the road

Very windy today. 24 mph with gusts to 38 mph. High winds like this for several days so check ahead.

A lot of toy traffic coming and going to the dune area. Make sure you have a reservation where required.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The wind finally dropped off late last night and started up again about 8:00 am. We had to go into town about noon and there were white caps in the bay (24+ mph).

Highway 101 is full of campers, trailers and motorhomes besides cars and trucks and toy rigs. A busy weekend for sure!

The good thing is that the sun is out. curretly 55 degrees with the feeling of 63 degrees.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Right now the wind has died down to no wind. We had some drizzle this AM. The high it supposed to get to 66 degrees and cloudy... which it is right now.

12 people are scheduled to show up today so it will be crowded here for a week with the number buldging up to 19 at one time (realistically facilities for 4). Hopefully the weather is sunny so everyone stays outdoors. From what I understand the whole area around here is supposed to grow that proportionally this week.

Death and distruction is not even close a remote possibility (I hope I am not jinksing things by kidding like that) with the numbers of people scheduled to be in the area.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

Get out in the dunes and raise some h*ll! Pop wheelies, do donuts every where and be a wild man! Haha!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
69yellowbug

Post by 69yellowbug »

Im in cascade locks today and have reservations for jessie honeyman state park from the 4th to the 6th. Cant wait.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

bajaherbie wrote:Get out in the dunes and raise some h*ll! Pop wheelies, do donuts every where and be a wild man! Haha!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Don't me tion donuts... I'm on a diet! The group next to us is heading out to the ocean coast and are going to ha e a fire and do dogs and other no-no food. All guys about my age.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

69yellowbug wrote:Im in cascade locks today and have reservations for jessie honeyman state park from the 4th to the 6th. Cant wait.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
About 40-ish miles from here. Let me know when and site and I will try to drop by if I can break away but I can't guarantee it. 15 are supposed to show up today and 3 or 4 mid-week but not sure just when. 400 mile trip. Work never stops here and have been working hard to get things ready so some fun can be had by the wear travelers.

Just checked: the weather s/be OK but that can change here quite quickly.

Lee