City Baja Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Volksmeister

Re: City Baja Build

Post by Volksmeister »

I like the idea of the bottom/last exhaust pictures. That was the one I was referring to. Bottom line is, I will most likely be making my exhaust system. I'd like to bring it around the front of the engine and up over the top. Since the cooling fan inlet is at the rear (stock cooling system) I'd like to keep heat away.

Gotta get the sucker built first! I took a more critical look at the bottom end: the cam and lifters are toast... gotta split the case! Oh boy...
I'm not who I am!
Volksmeister

Post by Volksmeister »

Getting a chance to breathe! Been too damn busy...

I finally got the odds and ends and made a stand for the swap meet find tubing bender I bought over a year ago. It works well! Bolted to the garage floor at my good friend's house...

I finally got all the crank, case and rods to the machinist. I need to do my research on camshafts and quality type 4 misc parts. Bearings and such. Getting hard to keep the quality up! When I started working on these cars (Y2K!) they were super cheap/free. Could still get good parts...

I will install a mild turbocharger setup at some point, so I need to get a cam that will be compatible. Webcam seems to have the best options.

She's just gotta run and drive first!

Next purchase are some legit seats. I'm pretty set on the corbeau baja SS seats.

I'll take any input I can get! Still glad this forum exists. I've met some super cool people through here!

-Levi
I'm not who I am!
Nadroj

Post by Nadroj »

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd resurrect an old thread because everyone likes to see that happen! And it's the same car.

I'm Jordan and I'm Levi's (Volksmeister) younger brother. My history with this car goes back to before this thread started, we originally bought this car together. Long story to get us from there to here, but it's in my garage now and I've slowly been collecting parts to get it drivable! Levi and my friend came out to help be get it going and it's able to move under it's own power! My goal is to get it going as simply and cheaply as possible and then slowly refine it. It's just going to be a family toy for getting out in the hills and dunes of Central WA.

Here's how it's changed since Levi had it:

Type 1 engine (the one that originally came with the car, unknown displacement ~1600)
002 Transaxle
Acura Integra front seat(s)
Poly fuel tank

Still has type 2 CVs but I'm going to use the stock shock mounts.

Short term parts/goals:

Rear shocks (looking at Bilstein M 7100 classic)
Fix brakes
Back seat/seat belts
Sort out lights and electrical to make it street legal again
IMG_5661.jpg
IMG_5661.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Nice! I love seeing this
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!