Getrdone's GETR181

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Steve92004

Re: Getrdone's GETR181

Post by Steve92004 »

You got stuck in Ocotillo?
This guy did, did you see them out there?
Is that back side of blowsand?

Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

I made him join me! Don't want to be stuck alone. He was an easy push. Wonder what's on the other end of that tow rope?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I remembered to check about rails on the roads in WA today when down getting new tabs for my truck.

Side by side vehicles can now be titled for driving on the street (assuming they have all the equipment requrements met) but there are limitations as to where (not in a lot of the cities for sure) and how fast (the last I heard it was on roads that are posted 35 or under mph and to city/county limitations)..

Rails are still not legal to be driven on the roads... but it could happen sometime in the future. OR and ID allow them and I guess you see some of them in Spokane that have "snuck" across but they are not legal in the state.

For what it is worth.

Lee
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

Good thing I'm not a rail!
jt1967

Post by jt1967 »

Getrdone wrote:Maybe, but I've been pulled over once with a threat of VIN verification. Only my smooth talking and pointing out all the proper VIN tags did I get him to admit he was wrong. An officer admitting he was wrong is quite the miracle. The flaps are an easy, highly visual deterrent for being pulled over in the first place. Especially something that take less than 5 min to remove.
I'm gonna post a good pic of me at the desert this weekend...........cause not so good are sure to follow by others. Let's just say, it's not good to be indecisive in sand on a big ass hill. I've been stuck twice now. Which is a miracle. But when I do....I do it good!!!!
Oh, and just a little more body work now because of it.

What the hell clint you should of let me know you were going out we would of went with you
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

Sorry, I jumped on Barnfabs trip and only ran out for the day. I'll make sure to call ya next time. Even if it's a quick jaunt.
baja5

Post by baja5 »

Let's go out for New Years. Mike is gunna try and get the baja back together. And I have a 3 day weekend.
Iguana

Post by Iguana »

Buy a Kit, Build a Dream
Iguana

Post by Iguana »

So how did he get there ??

Buy a Kit, Build a Dream
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

Nice! The trail to my left looked good......till I noticed it had a rock pinch about 3' wide in the middle. Then I aborted, trying to get back up and that's how. Hind site, should have gone for the pinch and ride up the sides of the rocks. Don't know for sure which was the most evil.
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

The exciting part was me driving up and over that big arse rock!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

One of the bad sides to long travel suspension is that it takes longer to for your toy to dig down so as to sit on the frame which makes you to have to dig deeper to get the wheels uncovered :twisted: . Then you have to dig slopes to drive out. :wink:

Remember that pulling both handles on the turning brakes or light foot pressure on the foot pedal can turn an open diff, if you have one, into something closer to a locker; e.g., both tiires working together.

When I switched away from paddles (1300+ mounted on 15 X 12 AL rims which were a big inprovement over the steel 15 X 15 rims) and over to Desert Tracs (the same 15 x 12 AL rims) I did notice some differences right away:

1) a smoother ride on hard ground/pavement (paddles are bouncy and rough riding on that kind of surface,

2) a loss of traction compared to the paddleswhen airing them down to the 7#s of air pressure that I used on the wider paddles. When I dropped down to the manufacture's recomendation of 5#s, that made all the difference in the world. At 4#s I started to lose air out of the tires.

The change in pressure seemed to negate some of the gearing changes from switching from a stock VW Type 1 IRS to an 091. Maybe it had something to do with diameter change when switching from the soft sidewall to the stiffer (less diameter drop) side wall of the Tracs; I don't know for sure but I stopped having to double clutch into first just before reaching the top of some of the dunes that I didn't have do before the transaxle change.

I was surprised that on one occasion, when I got caught in a "sand flow" (more like a mud slide) that I was able get out of the predicamet by using the turning brakes together with keeping my foot on the gas and ignoring the angle I was traveling at in this "facing" of the dune situation. The Desert Tracs did the job that I am not sure paddles would have with the tires completly covered with sand. I think the paddle tires would have bogged down in this situation.

3) The Desert Tracs have a stiffer sidewall and with no air in them they still support the weight of my buggy. They also make all-terrain tread pattern that I have not tried but is supposed to work well in the sand and on hard pack (not an advertizement for the makers of the tires). We see all-terrain tires on vehicles once-in-a-while and they do OK but not as well as tires designed for softer surfaces. I have noticed that tire places around the area where we ride seem to be carrying more of the dual purpose tires now days; a step up from the ones like I ride on.

For what its worth.

Lee

Corrected a spelling and some missing words
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

After I get a new venture stabilized and comfortable (gonna be a while for sure) I dream of making a second all aluminum body and run some paddles or desert tracks. It would be cool to be a thing or a rail.
Turbo_Manx_Maniac

Post by Turbo_Manx_Maniac »

Clint, you taking sand driving tips from Skidmark?
I accidentally Googled my Twitter. (And I liked it)
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Sure would of liked to see more video of that adventure