70 Baja Bug Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
BajaBug222

Re: 70 Baja Bug Build

Post by BajaBug222 »

looks good. I was debating on doing something similar.
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Do you see the connection between your listed location and my avatar?
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

Sorry I'm not seeing it.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

"Sahuarita contains the Titan Missile Museum, built in 1963 during the height of the Cold War, which is the only Titan Missile site in the world accessible to the public. The actual Titan II missile, the most powerful nuclear missile on standby in the US, remains in the silo for visitors to see. " Wikipedia
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

Sorry been running on fumes lately didn't forget it was there but didn't cross my mind. It is that is only about a 10-15 min drive from my house.
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Richard got it. I spent four years (1976-1980) under the plains of Kansas servicing the guidance and electronic systems on the Titan I I (381 MIMS, McConnell AFB). I had the opportunity to visit the Titan I I Museum about two years ago. It was a giant rush back in time. I loved it.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

SW Oklahoma has several missile silos that were built during the cold war... can't remember the missile. Our local museum has a launch control console complete with "the button".

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Those were Atlas ICBMs (the Atlas booster is what propelled the Mercury program into orbit) and according to what I read the 577th Strategic Missile Squadron was based there at Altus AFB from 1962 to 1965. There were 12 silos built in the countryside around the base (one was even in Texas). In order for the missile to be launched it had to be raised out of the ground and fueled with liquid oxygen (no telling how long that took). The Titan II that I worked on was always fueled and ready to go at the turn of a key (actually 2 keys).

Boy, I thought this was a forum about off road VWs.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

To tie this all to offroad VWs...

When I was a young man I lived in the San Fernando Valley at the north end of LA where I grew up. When a day at work was stressing me, I would jump into my Baja Bug and drive a mile from the house to the beginning of a dirt trail up the face of a mountain, then the few miles up to the top, where there was a Nike Missile base and a Forest Service Fire station. The next mountain to the west above Northridge had another base. There were other trails that linked from the top of that one.

There was a ring of Nike Missile bases around SoCal during the Cold War. A great deal of the country's aerospace including Military was manufactured and developed here, along with it being one of the largest population centers, both of which made it strategically quite important to protect. There was also a ring of Air Force and other military bases around SoCal.

Trips up to the Base were a close by means to test suspension changes and other modifications to my and my friend's Baja Bugs.

So offroading to Missile bases was an important part of offroad VW operation and learning for me.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

We had a nike missle base out here back when the area was still country. Unless you are 50 plus and grew up in the area, most people are clueless about it.
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

That's a pretty cool story Dusty.
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

So I found a scoop for the drivers window it was the last one. I am now searching for one for my passenger side window.

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016101 ... 3f51c7.jpg[/img]
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

I have seen bubble windows but never the bubble scoop! Is it carbon fiber or fake carbon fiber?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
BajaBug222

70 Baja Bug Build

Post by BajaBug222 »

Ya it is pretty slick. It is actually carbon fiber.
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Apparently Herbie cansee the picture of your window scoop, but I can't.