The Blunderbus, bus #2

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
fusername

Re: IT LIVES, bus #2

Post by fusername »

Ok, just remembered I ahd to do taxes, so I am cleaning up now so I don't burn out. Making the new list so I can feel better about not driving tonight. Can't find my triple square, so regardless I am not finishing now.

DONE * torque CV joints
* fix loose wheel stud
DONE * set timing
DONE * install belts
DONE * make spacers and mount rear shocks
DONE * torque axle nuts
* seal up rear wheel arches
DONE * trim grease cap
* wire horn
* install heater flappers
DONE * adjust e-brake
* patch the holes in the floor and wall
* spare tire carrier
DONEish * get it to stay running
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
fusername

Post by fusername »

round the block. Sadly the engine doesn't sound as nice in real life as it does in the video. I am also quite surprised you can't hear the CV joints complaining in that. Once i had the rear shocks on and my weight up front, teh bus shifts forwards and sits a mm off the stops. looks like torsion bars are in my future. or storing all my spare transmissions in the back till I find the time....

drove like a highschooler for many reasons, mostly all my tools and parts were just piled up in the back of the car. I had actualy stopped working to do taxes adn then as the sun was getting ready to go down it occured to me how little was needed to make it around the block. tighten two ore three bolts, cross the hell out of my fingers, and away I go. you can hear stuff falling over thru the entire video, hopefully nothing made it out thru any of the, uhhh, vent holes in the floors and walls.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
fusername

Post by fusername »

and since all you guys care about are pictures

TimS

Post by TimS »

:roll: That's a great picture! Ground clearance - check! 8)

Congrats.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

you need a creeper with a lift kit to work under it!
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

At 2:12 and 2:30 I believe you can hear the CV's clicking, awesome that it s up and running!
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

How is fixing that drivers side rocker panel going?
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
fusername

Post by fusername »

took it out to work today! runs great, really surprised at how much torque it has with those big heavy tires. I don't .need. a 002 or lowering gearing, around town atleast. so obviously I need to put in the trans and get some bigger tires :evil:

unfortunatly it left me stranded at the end of the day. pulled over and it would not restart. the starter would not spin. Nice loud THUNK whne I turned the key, so I don't suspect electrical issue, also wouldn't start ww/ a screwdriver across the terminals, so I think the starter packed up. Same starter that was on my old bus for 4 years. Hopeing it starts in the morning, want to take it to work and show off, and if it is dead at the eend of the day tehre are enough coworkers to give it a shove :lol: 99% sure I don't have a spare, I have 2 002 starters and 3 bug starters, and a jetta, but no 091s. If she doesn't start after re-charging the batttery (really don't think that is the issue) Iwill just buy a re-man w/ a warrenty when I go get a battery. The dune buggy wants its yellow top back...

now to chase all those clunks dings and rattles. and the strangest whislting sound in the engine bay. Must be a vac leak, but no clue from where.

bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

maybe it is whistling because its happy!!!
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

bajaherbie wrote:maybe it is whistling because its happy!!!
Or it forgot the words.
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

No, that is why humming birds hum.
fusername

Post by fusername »

hmm, I figured all the nice weather and pretty girls out in the sun had it excited.

fusername

Post by fusername »

also paniced for a while, after lowering it the CVs were still clikcy. but after 3 blocks they are silent, except for the odd corner. they will need to be replaced not too long from now. If this transmission is happy and healthy, I will take the 930s plunge. if I need lower gearing, 002 will be test fit (no guarentee the 002 even works) and then i'll get the 930 flanges for that instead. Hopefully before next summer that will happen. Still can't belive how peppy it is given those tires weigh a million pounds and are 8 times larger than stock. no highway yet, wayyyyy too many unkown rattles for that just now. bit of pulsation in the steering wheel, gotta do an alignment soon. Shocks are tight tho, that is a relief. Fronts are just whatever were on the car when I got it.

feels good to be back in a bus. I forgot that feelign you get when you crest a hill. whole way up you are motiviting it while laying back in your seat and enjoying the view out the window. on the way down, you get this sudden overwhelming feeling you are about to fall down and out through the windhield, like the seat wants to dump you on ur arse.

also embarrassed myself in a parkinglot today. Trying to get in, I could not unlock the door till it occured to me the GREEN door on an ORANGE bus might take a different key...

TimS

Post by TimS »

Don't be too concerned about the clicking if it goes away when teh CV's get going. When I start off in the cold (like 20 deg F cold), my cv's clikc until the grease gets moved around or the CV heats up, or something like that. A good quality grease will help with the clicking, too (desert gold). I belive somewhere you said the picture was almost full droop, if that's the case, then I'd think you would be okay. Grease 'em up good, polish any contact points (like where the cage hits the CV outer), and let 'em click the first few minutes.

That's what I do anyway, but I've also run a minimum of 12,000 miles with my 930's at 26 degrees ride height, 30+ degrees full droop, which is, by all research standards, literary-ly impossible especially with the subaru engine, so you may want to take my info as outside of the norm.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
fusername

Post by fusername »

i have reigned mine in, t4s at 22v22.5 full droop, but less at ride height, myabe 19 or so, will measure in a week when i am convinced everything has settles out