Topic of the Day...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Piledriver

Re: Topic of the Day...

Post by Piledriver »

Its actually early type3 specific if i am not mistaken, but it works for me for the most part.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

yeah like i see what its saying just i have very little weatherstripping on my car
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Well worth a guy building a project to keep that info in mind. Fixing it before will be easier then stuffing bubblegum in cracks and seams later.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Hey Ed, maybe Elko NV is more of a metropolis than I thought. I just learned that some new friends of ours have a daughter who lives in Elko with her family. Rather more up the hill away from the river than you.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Well Dusty if their job has to do with gold mining then they may be here. Most of this economy is driven by the mines. The miner type tend to come and go and now with legal pot they are having a bigger turn over than before because the mines do not allow it so more people coming and going.

Ed
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

On the way home! Second day out and probably the second longest day of the trip. We made it to Quartzite the first day then today it was on to the town of Edison to overnight at an RV site there. Edison as a bit east of Bakersfield on hwy 58.

We got into a lot of wind in places so it was a tiresome 7 1/2 hour, just under 400 mile drive. We also got into a long traffic jam at a crossroad where 58 and 395 (?) join. Lost over a half hour there after a sudden break pedal to the floor as we came over a hill and there a Christmas light situation.

The longest section (hopefully) tomorrow when we go to the north end of CA.

Lee
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Safe Travels Lee. Hope you had a good time in Az.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

We got into Oregon about 4:00 pm. Yesterday was a rough day. just over 400 miles fighting side winds, from each side at different locations in CA the head winds up to 17 mph north of Sacramento. We had one car trans rig pass us then at the next corner get a side wind hit that drove him off the lane he was in, over the paved side of the road and almost reaching the soft pack and over into a steep bank... down hill bank not an up-hill bank. I got hit like that a couple of times myself. No matter who it was towing a "dink" the dinks were all over the road as the towing vehicle was being blown around.

Going through the passes was mostly fighting with the big rigs. They were passing or we were passing most of the way across.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Got home at about 5:30 PST. An exciting 8 hour/400+ mile trip. Rained through most of WA and very heavy traffic from Olympia on.

Got some work to do around the house as the main gate that opens for the MH to be parked blew down and it was no fun getting the broken section out of the way. The guy who did the fence did a poor job on the whole fence but surprising most of it has lasted longer than it should have. The broken post was a 12 X 12 and he forgot, like the rest of them, to put a taper down on the cement so the water would not collect on a flat or cupped surface. It is a heavy 6'+ long gate!

Lee
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

I just spent the last few days repairing similar trouble here. After listening to several days of radio and internet fuss about the terrible winds and storms in Texas and Oklahoma, our next door neighbor talked to her daughter who just moved to Oklahoma a month ago. She said they had 60-70mph winds there and she wanted to come home. So then right after that, we had winds just as strong. Not the worst we've ever had by a long shot, but it did some damage here. Like the house diagonal across the street had a tree in their front yard blow over onto the roof of their house. An elm with a trunk about 16" and about 50' tall. Fortunately, no real damage to the house.

The I went back to the annual weeding of the yard and in the process, found the gate at the north side of our house was wobbly. 16' double swing chain link gate. Same exact problem as Lee's. The fools who put the gates in 30 years ago, left the top of the concrete around the posts dished. And the posts rusted off at the top of the concrete. Around here, not only does it collect water when it rains, but much more importantly, it collects wind blown sand and dust in the dish, and THEN that holds moisture for a relatively long time (for around here). Without the collected sand and dust, water will dry off VERY quickly here. But soil remains damp for a long time.

The day after I found that the posts were rusted, after I had a chance to start the repairs by replacing one post, the wind blew a large piece of cardboard (like 4' x 5') from elsewhere and it wound up against my gate. That was the last straw on the camel's back. That other side of the gate blew down. But none of our 5 dogs left the yard. It's now fixed and straighter than it's ever been.

Where you ran into that traffic jam Lee, at Hwy 395 and Hwy 58... That's quite near my home. just 30 some miles across the desert. And I'll pass through there on 395 Friday afternoon on the way to the SNORE race at Ridgecrest. The place is called "Kramer's Junction" Also known as "Four Corners". A few miles west you pass the US Borax mine. As in Boraxo household/laundry soap, sponsors of "Death Valley Days" which Ronald Reagan used to MC. Then you pass along the northern boundary of Edwards Air Force Base, where the Space Shuttles used to land.
Richard
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

"Where you ran into that traffic jam Lee, at Hwy 395 and Hwy 58... That's quite near my home. just 30 some miles across the desert. And I'll pass through there on 395 Friday afternoon on the way to the SNORE race at Ridgecrest. The place is called "Kramer's Junction" Also known as "Four Corners". A few miles west you pass the US Borax mine. As in Boraxo household/laundry soap, sponsors of "Death Valley Days" which Ronald Reagan used to MC. Then you pass along the northern boundary of Edwards Air Force Base, where the Space Shuttles used to land."

Yup, went through there. They just opened up a section of 58 that they had been working on which was a big time saver from the two lane road they had been using. Almost got into an accident at that intersection (I forget the name but what you said sounds right) as the traffic was backed up for over two miles from the stop light. I came over the crest of a hill at 55 mph and there was traffic stopped dead still. Luckily my dink brakes were working as with just the MH brakes I would not have been able to stop in that short of a distance. We saw the borax drop off by the RR tracks then a while further the site with the two roads with the "20 mule team" names added to them. Yes, we did go by Edwards AFB also. Terrific side winds were in play too.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Strong winds over this weekend as well. All the way north to Ridgecrest, while we were there, gusts to probably over 70mph, then all the way home Saturday afternoon and then at home at nite. Not a good time to be in a tent trailer. Quiet today though. NOAA forecast was for "Breezy". Rain forecast earlier in the week had been as high as 45%, then dropped Friday to 10%, but it rained Friday night with the temps just above freezing. Stayed dry, but it was pretty damned noisy at times.

One note of strangeness was having our pit next to the Start/Finish... right behind...NOT in front of...an outhouse. We're required to keep our pit back (in this case 75') from the edge of the race course for safety. The outhouse was placed about 15' away from the race course... RIIIIIGHT......Good job on that, SNORE! Made for an interesting pit marker. Pit worked out just fine, but...

In the immortal words of Jim Morrison..."Strange days have found us."
Richard
Retired Fabricator
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

In Albuquerque watching The Outlaw Josey Wells, olds but goody. Going home tomorrow.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

In Albuquerque watching The Outlaw Josey Wells, olds but goody. Going home tomorrow.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Say Hello to Clint for us.

We have 'The Outlaw Josey Wales' on DVD. Haven't watched it for a couple years. I read the book about a year ago too.
Richard
Retired Fabricator