Topic of the Day...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Topic of the Day...

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Piledriver wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:45 am WTF?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/taekwondo/40391326
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (deep breath) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

I spent last weekend dealing with a sad situation. A long time close friend (met in 1972) passed away and we attended his services last Saturday. His passing could affect some of the others on here as well as the person I'm referring to is Art Savedra, the SCORE Chief of Tech and Safety.

He started working SCCA Tech shortly after he graduated from high school in 1972. I had been working SCCA Tech for 9 years at that time. Yeah I was a little kid, but my folks worked Tech so I worked with them.

A couple of years after Art had a serious street crash in 1979 and suffered 3rd degree burns over 85% of his body, he showed up at Tech as a spectator for a Baja 1000. In spite of his terrible scarring, my mom (working Tech for SCORE since SCORE started, as did my father and I) recognized him. My folks brought him into SCORE tech then. He became SCORE Tech Chief when Roger Norman took over from Sal Fish. Roger attended with the SCORE arch over the entrance and his Trophy Pre-Runner sitting beside it. He spoke well during the service.

A wake followed at Art's home. Great to visit with so many friends, but a very sad reason to get together.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

In a number of other topics in this forum we've been disgusting (not a typo) the subject of the change in service from an outfit I've decided to refer to as phototoilet. I've decided it is better disgusted in here rather than cluttering up other threads.
So...from 68 baja build:
dustymojave wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:39 pm I see that most all of the avatar images are gone now, no thanks to the bad guys at Phototoilet. I expect ALL of the thousands of images I've posted on various forums are also gone now too. I suppose we all need to find a new way to post them. Maybe we should all post our avatars for this forum in the gallery at TOS. :twisted:
bikesndbugs wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:06 pm I've been using tos for my hosting as its more reliable

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Piledriver wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:53 pm
dustymojave wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:51 pm Strangely, my avatar shows to me. It's hosted at Phototoilet.
You may not have huge files or large number of pics?
I only have about 2,600 photos in my Phototoilet account.

From Ol'fogasaurus black buggy:
Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:13 pm (Friday, June 30th, 2017)
(I tried to post a picture here of what they are posting on this site to me instead of posting any of my photos)

I'm not sure if this is going to show you what I am getting right now but it looks like Photobucket is going to charge me to continue to use their service because I am using it for 3rd party usage. This and the email I got today (a duplicate with them wanting my log-in and charge card) just might be the last straw. Add to that some PMs I have had over the years and other comments over the years I might drop out as it just isn't worth it anymore; I need to cool off first. If you are wanting to get any of my pictures then do it now as it looks like they might be gone before long... if not already.

My files have been tightly secured but lately I have been getting challenged, by Photobucket, as to how I am using their service and wanting to charge me to not get ads. This last bit came with the reasoning they don't like me using their site to do 3rd party posting and not avail myself of using their money making features like the printing of pictures. I have also had my pictures removed and have seen them or copies posted sometimes with other people's name tied to them.

While I know there are other options I just am not sure if I want to futz with it. Also, it seems that some of my posts here are being blocked also.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:29 am :shock: Photobucket wants $399 a year for me to use their services. What a rip! The old saying "Ignorance is bliss" continues on. :?
Piledriver wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:13 pm I guess Photobucket is going out of business RSN.
Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:46 pm Is RSN the same as "resign myself to it" or are they really throwing in the towel? Since they started doing ads and having you pay not to see them I have been stymied in trying to use their hosting site and also getting a lot of crap slowing or even stopping me from using it. I ignored their queries as just more of the Horse droppings but I guess it wasn't. I'll either have to figure out another place or ...
dustymojave wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:14 pm I get the same message from Photobucket.

For 12 years I was a faithful customer and referred a great many others to them.

Now they've unilaterally changed the terms of our agreement and kicked you and me to the curb. They have NOT notified me of any such changes to my account which seems to me to be a breach of contract and a breach of their own "Terms of Service".

I don't know of any other services that might serve to replace them. Even today they are trying to get me to sign up for "Free" service that I've had for 12 years and is now worthless. At the same time they try to get me to upgrade my account. Slap me in the face and ask me to give you more opportunity to betray my loyalty? There isn't now and never has been any neon sign on my forehead saying "Stupid". We all make mistakes once in a while. If we repeat those mistakes, then we deserve such a neon sign permanently installed.

So much for my dealing with them. If my photos cannot be seen by others unless they pay, and if I cannot see the photos of others without paying, then Photobucket is no longer of any use to me. I'm going to remove all photos from my account and close it and will only give them bad review from now on.

Goodbye Photobucket.

How did you post that picture in your last post Lee?
Piledriver wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:48 pm A little reading that may help
https://www.lifewire.com/free-image-hos ... es-3486329

Note that photobucket also has tinypic that is probably closer to what most folks need/want.
There are numerous alternatives.
dustymojave wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:58 pm Thanks for that link, but considering that #5 on their list is Photobucket, and I have tried Imgur and Google Photos that are also high on their list (No 1 and 2), I'm not in a position to believe what is said in that article, even if it WAS updated yesterday.
Besides what I last said above, I need to add my comment that article reads in its entirety as though it's a sales pitch or infomercial.

I'm sure there has been a lot of discussion throughout this site and many others the last day or 2 on this subject. I don't intend or dream that this is the entire discussion on the subject. I'll have to see positive proof from someone before I will have ANY faith in ANY image sharing site.
Richard
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

theres always adding directly to this site but i dont know how those last and rather not clutter the site ive been using tos or direct uploads recently as ive had alot of issues with photobucket.

googled it and apparently photobucket has sent out a tweet saying
"⚠️ Thank you for all of the recent feedback and questions. We are trying our best to respond quickly and thank you for your patience :)"

they basically just ruined most of their bushiness. I can see clickbait facebook sites paying for it but there are so many small buisness and people like up that use it just to share photos
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I've gone back to using the "attachment" part here but there are some, probably minor, problems such as not getting duplicate posts on the first and second post and not being able to attach a picture to a PM.

The problem with attachments also is the taking of storage space here.

Lee
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

One of the somewhat frustrating things about uploading attachments is that once uploaded, you cannot link to them.
If you want to reference the same picture you have to upload it again.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Yes, that is one of the problems I was alluding to. Its there and you can't copy it at a later time by doing a reply, grabbing the URL from the copy/quote type of reply and then to reattach in an answer or in a "(quote) type of quote to reply.
TimS

Post by TimS »

I just deleted my Photobucket account.

This sucks for forums like this and all the users who contributed with good faith.

If it were me running things at photobucket, and I was jerk enough to hold 3rd party links for ransom, I'd just fill billions of forums posts with targeted ads and make a shitton of money because I would have my direct link already hosted in billions of forum posts.

It could be a successful short term business model. That is a likely next step after they suck the suckers for $400.

Then forums would have to block photobucket links, and the private company owners would be laughing all the way to the bank. Seems like a legit exit strategy for a failing business.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Good for you Tim.

I've been struggling to get some of my images downloaded from my account 1st. MY old computer got hacked by a Microsoft virus (Microsoft Genuine Advantage) that wiped the hard drive. So there are some pics on my account that I don't have at home. I should have downloaded them when I replaced my computer or at least in the long while since then. Lazy strikes again.
Richard
Retired Fabricator
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

https://www.thebalance.com/top-free-ima ... es-1357014
this imgur might work rather than photobucket.
Travis
rickosuave1987

Post by rickosuave1987 »

I have been using Imgur to host some of my woodworking stuff I have been doing. And seeing how PhotoBucket has become useless, I will probably use it for this site as well.

The real problem with Imgur, is that is regularly goes "over capacity" (mostly because of Reddit), and them you can't see pictures anyway.

Here is how Imgur looks hosted here:

If you use the "Large Thumbnail" choice for image size, then it should confine the dimensions to STF's parameters without having to resize the original photo.
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

so ive been working for around a little over a month now.
I was hired as an apprentice/ handrail welder/fabricator.
about 2 weeks in i got moved outside to paint beams. i figured it was for a few days and didnt mind.
ive now been paint for 3 weeks its overly hot i stand around alot as i dont have anything to paint and i do an insane amount of grinding work.
i cut though these 3 inch thick triangles of insanely hard steel with a cutting wheel. takes abut 20 minutes a tab and there are 8 per tower.

i went from actually doing stuff to doing total grunt work that im far overqualified for. then they continue to hire more people in my old department. i dont get why they dont just hire a painter that they could pay way about 2 dollars less an hour than me.

im getting really frustrated and ive been told its work that needs to get done and nobody likes it. I just feel as if im not being used to my potential at all.
and im costing them more money painting than just hiring a painter.

So im thinking about looking for a new job as they dont seem to be interested in using me to my full potential.
am i overreacting and should i deal with it or what. and the paint makes me feel horrible i come home covered in dirt and paint. and i hang out in the sun in about 90 degree heat in long sleeves all day. IM just annoyed that im doing manual labor and grunt work when thats not what i was hired for.
Travis
TimS

Post by TimS »

Well, from my limited experiences of 25 years in the workforce.

Don't quit a job unless you have another one. Continue to be the best worker in whatever position you are in. Opportunity may come when you least expect it, prepare yourself to accept any opportunity that gets you closer to your goal. Make sure you make you desire known to those that make decisions. Don't beat around the bush, talk to the supervisor/manager, I would like to do X. If there is anything I can do to make myself better prepared for X, please let me know. Until then, I will show dedication and heart in my current position, but I still want X.

Also, life is unfair. Realize it now and it will be much easier. Some folks will get preferential treatment because they are connected. But also, trust is a big deal. My profession is small and everyone knows everyone, so people know me before I meet them. Protect your image and don't cause a stink as much as it would feel good at the time. Remain professional and stay on good terms with any previous employer.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Tim is correct. If you get a rep for quitting or short time stays at any job it will follow you as people do check former employers.

Learn to be resourceful, learn do the menial tasks to the best of your ability as it should get better the more you do it. It is especially important since you are in the 6 mos. to a year trial period that every job has. They are learning about you as well as you learning about them.

Don't get frustrated as when you are frustrated you can make big mistakes, in many ways; easy to do, hard for fix later on. Learning to control frustration is a big part of becoming an adult.

Lee
Kugel8x57

Post by Kugel8x57 »

Tim and Olfoggy are right, and I'll add my two cents worth...

1) CHOOSE not to be offended.

2) PRAY.... a lot!!

3) SMILE.... a lot!!

:D
Go Dirt Pile and God Bless!!

Kugel 8)