Topic of the Day...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Topic of the Day...

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I understand about the heights... for sure.

The machinist bit sounds good as it is good to know for at home atleast if not for full time. I always wanted to do that myself but my eyes would have kept me out of it.

I looked up Jimco but tgere are a lot of companies using that name. I'd still do some asking ariund as there are so many schools out there that I am a bit leary of.

Lee
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

http://www.jimcorace.com http://www.jimcorace.com

I like that but the money isnt there as far as a fabricator/welder. I do know someone that owns another comany http://www.mikesmetalworks.net/Home.html

As far as schools around here my current welding class is at a high school as an adult night school. There is "summit college" down the street and thats all i know of and a couple community colleges around.
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I did see that Jimco and you could learn a lot there; I'd just worry about the work cycles.

The other construction co. might have their ups and downs (pun partly intended). Would your TIG work for you there?

I think you said your GPA was 4.0 and that should help you get into college. A two year degree from a reputable college is always a game changer... in most jobs. I'm not sure about some of the schools I am hearing about now which is why I recommend you doing your home work on them.

Lee
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:I did see that Jimco and you could learn a lot there; I'd just worry about the work cycles.

The other construction co. might have their ups and downs (pun partly intended). Would your TIG work for you there?

I think you said your GPA was 4.0 and that should help you get into college. A two year degree from a reputable college is always a game changer... in most jobs. I'm not sure about some of the schools I am hearing about now which is why I recommend you doing your home work on them.

Lee
cumulative is 3.6 or so now and 2 years accept anyone here. as far as the construction company im not sure i need to talk to him.

I was accepted to a couple of 4 years but i dont wanna do that and really dont want any debt.
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

So welding class is going good im getting alright at it but i want to mess with some tubing. Ive got like 3 ft of tubing and 2 ft of 2"x1/8" flat stock. Any ideas of what i can make that would be helpful to a bug

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Interim bumper ????
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:Interim bumper ????
maybe or something similar.
that gave me the idea of making a shelf in the nosecone. tubing is a it big for that i think.

DUsty had mentioned a body support to prevent sagging doors. i might be able to make that out of it.
Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The body supports would have to be longer tban that. When I built the body lift and the stiffener going down the body mount channels I started out with 6' of tube per side. The doors are probably longer than 2' each. The support is a great idea and I would add it high up on my list if I were you. I was having a off site conversation on rock sliders with someone just before I headed south; a replacable combination stiffener and a smooth rock slider that also protects the body mount bolts also. Wouldn't work that well on the sand but might be really good on not the best of/no trails.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Lite bar.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

As far as the door braces i think dusty was saying it goes in tgr trunk area for on a one piece because you loose alot of body strenth cutting it away. The lite bar might be a good idea

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

As far as the door braces i think dusty was saying it goes in tgr trunk area for on a one piece because you loose alot of body strenth cutting it away.
You got it right. :D
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

About the schooling...

I advise you to beware of trade school sales people who tell you all about how many with a certain skillset are needed in the work place. I have learned to trust them like Americans traditionally trust used car sales people.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

What Dusty said!

Honesty is long gone pretty much everywhere which is why I suggested you talk to honest employers (hard to find also) for their opinions. There isn't much sacred now days but figure: if it sounds too quick and easy easy... it probably is. I was watching one of those ads on TV where your experiences are worth a quick pass in some areas getting you their degree quicker.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

dustymojave wrote:
As far as the door braces i think dusty was saying it goes in the trunk area for on a one piece because you loose alot of body strength cutting it away.
You got it right. :D
Two pieces of plate or sheet metal in an L welded to the tubing then bolted through body in that spot where heater hoses come up and a across the spot i cut?

sound right.
Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

If you are running a tube orcsomething like that through a structural like a firewall and have a flat plate that attached to that panel and a double on the other side make sure that neither of the plates are the same size. If they are then you increase the chance of the body panel fatuging (metal fatuge) then cracking/failing. The same if the tube does not go through the panel but uses the plates as the join.