Topic of the Day...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
bikesndbugs

Re: Topic of the Day...

Post by bikesndbugs »

Piledriver wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:05 am I have only driven through or visited Cali a few times, but I thought the drivers were great: polite, knew what turn signals are for, don't accelerate to cut you off if you use yours (Typical here in Texas, they think your a yankee tourist if you use them)

Did seem to suffer from way too many people, but they seem to try to make the best of it.
what part of California because all i get where i live is no blinkers, speeding around people to cut them off and slam on their brakes, rain is like an Apocalypse happened. I assume central cal and norcal would be better but socal isnt great i figure nobody can drive anywhere. A part of san diego called el cajon has the second highest number of middle eastern immigrants in the U.S. I happen to go to school there half of them dont speak english. not to be stereotypical but they cannot drive. Its like theyve never heard of turn signals or even looking before they change lanes drive like halfway in a lane things that make me scratch my head on why they are doing these things. And with cellphones driving is horrible we have hands free laws now so it has to be dash mounted or something similar.
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

While I usually turn left at Bakersfield when heading south but I have driven a motorhome towing a dink almost to the border but then that was several years ago. Going through the CA capital and the towns by it to hit HWY 58 I have run into the occasional jerk, jerkette or oblivious driver but not to the extent of some places else where. Try driving in places where "Road Rage", selfishness (me first and to heck with the rest of you), and oblivion is more the norm than the occasional thing.

Yes, northern CA, albeit busy at times, is still not the worse place I have been through to drive. Some states have not yet banned the cell-phone use while driving and their fatality list shows it. I have seen it off-road and they even are taking pictures (I have yet to seen a "selfie" being taken while driving but I am sure it has happened) while moving.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:04 am (I have yet to seen a "selfie" being taken while driving but I am sure it has happened) while moving.
ive seen it many times ive seen my sister do it. Cant believe some people
Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

bikesndbugs wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:34 am
Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:04 am (I have yet to seen a "selfie" being taken while driving but I am sure it has happened) while moving.
ive seen it many times ive seen my sister do it. Cant believe some people
:roll:
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Piledriver wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:05 am I have only driven through or visited Cali a few times, but I thought the drivers were great: polite, knew what turn signals are for, don't accelerate to cut you off if you use yours (Typical here in Texas, they think your a yankee tourist if you use them)

Did seem to suffer from way too many people, but they seem to try to make the best of it.
Drive in a city, better yet haul a trailer, a lot of people will give you the "your number one" sign. Turn signals and consideration for others is not part of most Caly driving.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Maybe San Jose/San Fran is different. It has also been awhile.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

Tapatalk test.... Leatherneck, can you see this? I just noticed that STF was working again on my hand held mobile communications device.

Some local yard art, made from an old satellite dish mount. Looks pretty cool but almost looks like a Soviet MIG fighter jet.[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201706 ... 87cfbe.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

That's 8Up and quite excellent.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

That is OBVIOUSLY an F86 Sabre. I drive past one on the way to and from Walmart.

I've driven WAY too many miles. Now I hate most all traffic. I avoid major highways whenever possible. I find that the drivers MOST inclined to NOT use turn indicators are police officers. Often see them make left turns from right lanes and vice versa. Again...without signal.

While complaining about California drivers...remember that MOST of them came from somewhere else. Like most all of the musicians that complain on records about California. They came from somewhere else and aren't happy with the society of foreigners (including those from other parts of the US) that they find here. I have long believed that Cali drivers having so much trouble when it rains (and WAY MORE trouble when it snows) is that many of them came here because it rained and snowed so much where they came from and one reason why they came here is they couldn't handle such weather there. PS: my family goes back to the 1890s living in the LA area.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

AGreed when possible i take side roads. Unless its a total off time and freeways are open.

Anybody have a picture of the back of a real centerline I'm looking at some fronts with the traction tires and wanna make sure they are real centerline as they have a dent and wondering if they can be hammered out. Image

had grad night on friday was awake from 5am to 5am with alot of activity between. the broken leg came in handy as i skip some lines still got in alot of rides in Disneyland and the next door California adventure. Was a great experience. at about 10 pm they lock you in California adventure with a whole lot of seniors and have a few djs and dance areas i stayed away from those and im not big on them to start and i was in a wheelchair. but had a blast of roller coaster and im not usually fond of those. gave us a special water show at 130 am before we had to cram out of the park then take the 2 hour ride home. (I wish i could sleep on buses).
Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

If the wheels have bolts, they are NOT Centerlines. If the wheels are cast (no matter that they have rivets), they are NOT Centerlines. But if they are old Streaker wheels, thay're OK. Not as good as Centerlines (or Jackman aluminum star centers), but still fine. I'm SO DONE with flat black spray paint on wheels. Especially aluminum wheels that don't need any paint in SoCal. The cast wheels that look like Centerlines are rather heavier, but meet SEMA specs so are decent wheels too. CMS and some of the other brands of bolted aluminum 2-piece wheels are OK, but weaker than old Streakers and quite a bit weaker than Centerlines.

And yes, the dent can be hammered out of the rim. Or bent back with a crescent wrench or other similar sort of tool.
Richard
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Dusty wrote: "... And yes, the dent can be hammered out of the rim. Or bent back with a crescent wrench or other similar sort of tool."

This is true but I also have seen the bead break off or at least tear which pretty much ends the use of the wheel. If the bend is too much the metal has been stretched and compressed damaging the strength of the wheel's bead in that area.

Can the bead be fixed and welded.. probably, but I wouldn't trust it again either as again, as the structure of the metal has/may have been changed (temper). If I remember correctly there are companies that can fix bent wheels. I think I heard that the have a machine that allows them to roll the beads back into place w/o any violence involved.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fi ... &FORM=VDRE

I didn't look at these but I noticed in the preview of one that there was a torch involved. I think one shows the machine but you might get some ideas here.

I never have liked flat black wheels especially with black walls either but glossy black wheels w/whitewalls are OK :D .
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Flat black aluminum wheels makes me sad a jackman type steelie or so it doesn't bother me very much because those wheels aren't very big in the design department so i figure black blends in better than white. I personally dont care to much as i prefer function to looks then when it works you can make it look pretty.
Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Yup...cast aluminum wheels are most likely to break if dinged, and trying to bend one back is almost CERTAIN to break it.

But with forged Centerline wheels or even spun and heat treated CMS wheels, it's fine to hammer them back straight. There are businesses that have specialized in straightening just Centerline and Jackman aluminum star wheels for offroad racers. I've done a LOT of pounding with a hammer in pit stops, and have used the services of such companies for customer's wheels while prepping the cars. But with the recent popularity of Method, BTR, Robby Gordon, Ultra, etc. cast aluminum wheels, now there isn't anybody specializing in repairing such wheels anymore.

Welded together aluminum sand rail wheels such as Douglas, Mitchell, Michelle, etc. advertised as ".125" or ".190" heavy duty bend pretty easily and are more sketchy for repairing.
Richard
Retired Fabricator
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

It has been a very interesting week here at Sun River Oregon. Heading into town when glass buggy went blasting by us on the freeway heading into Bend. Noisy and green but looked pretty good going by.

They are having a PGA professional, lower level, golf tournament this weekend. We are staying in a room by the 7th hole putting green and the tee for the 8th hole. As I understand it there are 312 people who are entered and that had to be knocked down to something like 92 golfers.

I was out standing by the course a couple of days ago when they were mapping the area. You see the guys on TV every-so-often pull out a pad and look at then put or drive away. I watched three groups of guys (participants, caddies, and a official) drive off on 7. Some hit more than one ball in different direction then out came the pads as they walked down the course. They then drove their next shot(s) to the putting green and the note books came out again (bit sure if it was a par 3 or 4 hole). They then messed around on the putting green; walking around, looking at the green, then some putted, not necessarily into the hole but watching the lay of the green. A couple caddies through out a bunch of balls then the moved them around the green either putting or just light hits with their clubs. Noted what they saw then moved to the next Tee-off. The official stood around watching them but nothing else.

The next group did similar things but no one went or the hole. They just looked around and buddy talked having a good time it seem and in few minutes went to the next tee. The was some walking around but little ball moving.

The next group came up doing about the same thing but this time there was less people. I don't remember there being an official with the second or third group.

It was interesting that each of the groups did their "mapping" stint differently. I did get to get close and as they left I got to chat with a couple of them.

From our room I/we saw some other groups and a couple of singles go through the same thing but the official stood in the cart path watching.

Yesterday it was overcast, in the mid to high 60's with a good wind, not enough to stop play but enough to test the golfers skill and control as it was from behind, to the side and into the face depending on the hole. The day before could not make up its mind to just be cloudy or sprinkle so you stood out there and every-so-often you felt a small drop hit you in the face of hands. Starting to day it is supposed to get into the 80's.

We watch golf on TV and this sure was an eye opener as to what you see or hear on the commentary but it is never directly talked about. I kind of assumed that this might happen but never really thought that much about it.

Thought you might be interested.

Lee