Topic of the Day...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
bikesndbugs

Re: Topic of the Day...

Post by bikesndbugs »

It was just getting really annoying. Today I got to weld some stuff and then I love it.
They need to hire a painter but this company is family run. But it's to big to be ran like a family business. And it is ran like a family business.

I go for forklift training tomorrow so that's good.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Perseverance and grit can be very positive attributes to an employer - more than ability, education, or even skill sometime. I can use my son as an example. He began working for an upscale auto dealership in San Diego as a car washer. Standing everyday in water was taking a toll on his feet, but he kept at it. I might point out that he never really showed an interest in cars while he was growing up (I certainly worked on my own enough around him). After about a year the dealership moved him into the shop as a parts runner, a gopher, or whatever needed to be done. Not much of a job, but again he sticks to it and does whatever they ask him to do. After about another year the dealership offers him an apprenticeship, trains him to do oil changes, tire changes, etc. They are sending him to Miramar College to take automotive courses (and paying for them as long as he gets at least a B). Just recently they have offered him a line position and promotion. He is buying his first house (which in SD is not easy) and life is pretty good for him. I truly believe that his success can be tied to his grit and perseverance (and a lot of prayers from his mom and dad). I am very proud of him!
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Yeah I figure sticking with it is best. I gotta get signed up for school still. Just for part time.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Now days the extra schooling is highly looked upon with favor as well as good grades in high school. A lot of businesses won't hire anyone under the age of 23/24 because of maturity. Your lucky you have a job especially one you like at least part of the time :roll: :wink: . Hang in there Travis, things should get better as long have you have patience and maybe a lot of patience will be needed.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Getting out of Dodge for a week. The weather in the PNW is very hot, in places such as Portland the temps are expected to be close to 99° or more. We in the Seattle area are getting smoke out of the forest fires in Canada; the smoke, the weather guessers say, is worse than in Beijing China where you don't see blue sky. The sun, well before sunset, is a mid-red and the moon is a fairly dark orange.

In some places, mostly on the east side of the Cascade mountains they are saying to/giving out face masks. Seniors here are advised to stay inside. One thing good (if you can say its good) is the smoke is dropping the temperatures 2° to 4° of what it should be.

Lee
BugUgly

Post by BugUgly »

Still smoky North of Portland (Camas), too, but it's getting better. Tonight's sunset looked more normal instead of the devil's glare of the last two nights. If it's this bad here with B.C. smoke, Seattle must be a smudge pot.

Still so freaking hot that I only turn the BBQ to minimum gas and still have to keep an eye on it. I think I could do a turkey with Sterno in this heat.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

"Seattle must be a smudge pot"

Its pretty bad! You could see the smoke in the air when looking towards the end of the block. I was out talking to a neighbor last night: it was a bit better as we had a bit of wind that was not out of the north northeast during the day but you could still see the smoke in the air visible even as close as across the street. My wife, who has been to China said this is about how it looks in Beijing due to all the pollution there: no blue sky can be seen. She said that in the evening, when the street vendors start cooking for the people there the pollution in the air gets even worse... by a long shot.

We live close to one of the airports that Boeing bases out of: when flying over the jet are now carrying white canes :roll: :lol: :oops: (sorry about the bad/in-appropriate joke but it is about that bad). You can't see the private planes as they fly over (above the smoke layer) most of the time and the big-uns' aren't much easier to see even when they are coming in low to land.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

So when people start bad-mouthing LA about smog, then I should refer them to Seattle. Right?
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Only if LA has a huge forest fire feeding its smog.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

chuckput wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:19 pm Perseverance and grit can be very positive attributes to an employer - more than ability, education, or even skill sometime. I can use my son as an example. He began working for an upscale auto dealership in San Diego as a car washer. Standing everyday in water was taking a toll on his feet, but he kept at it. I might point out that he never really showed an interest in cars while he was growing up (I certainly worked on my own enough around him). After about a year the dealership moved him into the shop as a parts runner, a gopher, or whatever needed to be done. Not much of a job, but again he sticks to it and does whatever they ask him to do. After about another year the dealership offers him an apprenticeship, trains him to do oil changes, tire changes, etc. They are sending him to Miramar College to take automotive courses (and paying for them as long as he gets at least a B). Just recently they have offered him a line position and promotion. He is buying his first house (which in SD is not easy) and life is pretty good for him. I truly believe that his success can be tied to his grit and perseverance (and a lot of prayers from his mom and dad). I am very proud of him!
Props to you and your son, working his way up not sticking his hand out for a freebee
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Leatherneck wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:22 pm
chuckput wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:19 pm Perseverance and grit can be very positive attributes to an employer - more than ability, education, or even skill sometime. I can use my son as an example. He began working for an upscale auto dealership in San Diego as a car washer. Standing everyday in water was taking a toll on his feet, but he kept at it. I might point out that he never really showed an interest in cars while he was growing up (I certainly worked on my own enough around him). After about a year the dealership moved him into the shop as a parts runner, a gopher, or whatever needed to be done. Not much of a job, but again he sticks to it and does whatever they ask him to do. After about another year the dealership offers him an apprenticeship, trains him to do oil changes, tire changes, etc. They are sending him to Miramar College to take automotive courses (and paying for them as long as he gets at least a B). Just recently they have offered him a line position and promotion. He is buying his first house (which in SD is not easy) and life is pretty good for him. I truly believe that his success can be tied to his grit and perseverance (and a lot of prayers from his mom and dad). I am very proud of him!
Props to you and your son, working his way up not sticking his hand out for a freebee
X2 on what he said.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=Leav ... &FORM=EWRE

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/video ... LIjbtMbGO/

Look at the video.

This was on the news today: http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/healtht ... spartandhp I remember hearing of this many years ago but had completely forgotten about it.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
BugUgly

Post by BugUgly »

Dang it, the sun just went down. Now my co-workers are going to think I'm nuts when they see me outside on the car-park at lunch with a water bottle and copier paper.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

:D :roll: :wink:
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

Kentucky Kadillac....Image

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.